Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 6v 12ah Battery Charger
RichardK

posted on 7/1/12 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
6v 12ah Battery Charger

Hi, wondering if anybody can help? I've bought one of these batteries Battery
Battery
and I'm now trying to find a charger, has anybody got one kicking about that will do that they want to sell, my lad is in the UK at the moment (and wife soon as her dad died yesterday )

So will be a uk address if you've got one?

Hope you can help so whyg ? Can get one over here for about 40 sterling or about $70AUD but just seems very expensive to get this ikea led lamp working again

Cheers

Rich

[Edited cos my spelling is rubbish]

[Edited on 7/1/12 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 7/1/12 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
I would just find any 6v transformer and use that. You must have something kicking around?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 7/1/12 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
it the 12ah that seems to make them dear??

plentywahalla

posted on 7/1/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Buy another one and charge them in series.

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

owelly

posted on 7/1/12 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need 12Ah. A lower amp charger will just take longer to charge.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

RichardK

posted on 7/1/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Beauty, cheers Rich

So will this do ? eBay Item

At that price I'm going to give it a go, even has an oz plug which is a bonus!

Cheers

Rich

spiderman

posted on 7/1/12 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yes that one will be fine. It has a 1A output so will take 12Hrs to charge a 12Ah battery. I would prefer a slightly higher output charger myself.
THE THEORY.
12 Ah = 12amps x 1 hour or 1 amp x 12 hours.
Ah is a capacity so think of it as a bath if you have a low flow (A) it will take longer to fill.
A good anology for simple electrics is the plumbing theory.

Volts = Pressure.
Amps = Flow.

Hope that is of some help.

Spider

Chippy

posted on 7/1/12 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Why not go with a dual voltage one, this one bungs out 6 amps, so should be ideal. HTH Ray

BATTERY CHARGER 6AMP DUAL VOLTAGE 6V/12V BY RING AUTO RCB206 FOR BIKE AND CAR (5055175212104) | eBay
About Us-

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

spiderman

posted on 7/1/12 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy
Why not go with a dual voltage one, this one bungs out 6 amps, so should be ideal. HTH Ray

BATTERY CHARGER 6AMP DUAL VOLTAGE 6V/12V BY RING AUTO RCB206 FOR BIKE AND CAR (5055175212104) | eBay
About Us-

That looks like the sort I would go for better o/p = faster charging duel voltage means you can use it for your car as well.

o/p 6 amps will charge a 12 Ah battery in 2 hours (in theory)

Spider

RichardK

posted on 8/1/12 at 04:57 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe would have been a better choice but can't see the missus dragging that back to Oz in her suitcase!

The cheapo one should be fine, its only to charge up a battery that powers an ikea led lamp as we dont have a socket close and the missus thinks that it makes the place cosy!!

Battery seemed to last about 3 weeks so not too bad.

Cheers

Rich

britishtrident

posted on 8/1/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Ideally you want to charge any lead acid battery slowly this will maximise the life of the battery and the charge will spread more evenly through and across the plate material. A battery charged too rapidly will show a quite steep drop off in the terminal voltage once it is off charge.

Based on experience my personal preference is to select a charge current setting that charges the battery to full capacity in about 16 hours.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

T66

posted on 8/1/12 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Halfords had a deal on not too long ago, A combined 6/12v smart charger, just connect it up and it works. Drops back to a trickle once the battery is fully charged, so can be left plugged in.

Cost about £40

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_210939_langId_-1_categoryId_255205#dtab

Just read your post again, so £40 is prob not what your looking for. What IKEA product is it ?

[Edited on 8/1/12 by T66]

[Edited on 8/1/12 by T66]

RichardK

posted on 8/1/12 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
This thing

Peteff

posted on 8/1/12 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
The Lidl ones do 6 and 12 and cost about £13 when they have the offer on, not much help as you want one now but might help anyone in future.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

T66

posted on 8/1/12 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Wife works for IKEA, and thats no longer stocked, nor anything similar.

But I asked, no use to you though.

BenB

posted on 8/1/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Am I missing something? You want to get an LED lamp to work and that needs 6v so you're going to charge a 6v battery from the mains and use that to power the LEDs?

Why not just use a regulated 6v supply?

Something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-POWER-ADAPTOR-SUPPLY-PSU-1500MA-1-5A-3V-4-5V-6V-7-5V-9V-12V-REGULATED-ES-/170 718859183?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_PowerAdaptors_SM&hash=item27bfa30faf

Sorry if I've missed the plot but can't see why you'ld need a 6v battery to power some lights from the mains...

RichardK

posted on 11/1/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Maybe would have been a better choice but can't see the missus dragging that back to Oz in her suitcase!

The cheapo one should be fine, its only to charge up a battery that powers an ikea led lamp as we dont have a socket close and the missus thinks that it makes the place cosy!!

Battery seemed to last about 3 weeks so not too bad.

Cheers

Rich

Ben I think you've missed this post

Cheers

Rich

BenB

posted on 11/1/12 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sure did! that explains it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.