Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5 days = £150!
vanepico

posted on 25/7/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
5 days = £150!

So I've been really looking forward to my first car, and like every over eager new driver I've been doing quotes

On the 15th I did a quote for my 20th birthday on the 20th () and got £850, great!

Now on the 25th, I update it, now it says close to £1000! How is me being 5 days older making it more expensive? WTF! All the settings are the same!

ERGH!!! DAMN YOU! Deffo not SIMPLES!!! Infact it takes a bit more overtime!

Oh well a few years after I've bought the car Diesels will be illegal and they'll find a way of screwing me out of even more money....

A very disgruntled Pete!

dhutch

posted on 25/7/12 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yep. I had a renewal last year go from 800 to 1500 because i let the renewal lapse. Suffice to say, having left it 2months over winter while some points dropped off the three year thingy i looked around elsewhere, and got it for £250.

But yes, insurance companies are like banks. Wankers.

Daniel

rb968

posted on 25/7/12 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Funnily enough a young lass at work told me today she had been onto confused 2 days ago and got a quote for her Corsa but left it till today (payday) to take it out and it had gone up £70. Same search, same details so god knows!

Rich

vanepico

posted on 25/7/12 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've just done it for the 30th of july and it is £780 hmm this is more guesswork than anything else!
mads

posted on 26/7/12 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
I heard somewhere that when you are using such comparison sites they leave cookies on your computer telling the site you have been before. When you next visit, the price has been bumped up from what you last saw.

I didn't think this was the case but based on hearing other people having similar stories I'm starting to believe it might do. Have you ever noticed it that a similar thing happens when you are looking at flight prices too? I have started to clear my cache & history now just in case.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

stevegough

posted on 26/7/12 at 04:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads
I heard somewhere that when you are using such comparison sites they leave cookies on your computer telling the site you have been before. When you next visit, the price has been bumped up from what you last saw.

I didn't think this was the case but based on hearing other people having similar stories I'm starting to believe it might do. Have you ever noticed it that a similar thing happens when you are looking at flight prices too? I have started to clear my cache & history now just in case.

You don't need to clear your cash - that job is best left to the experts - the banks and insurance companies!

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

jeffw

posted on 26/7/12 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
Call the companies direct and get a quote.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 26/7/12 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Yep. I had a renewal last year go from 800 to 1500 because i let the renewal lapse. Suffice to say, having left it 2months over winter while some points dropped off the three year thingy i looked around elsewhere, and got it for £250.

Daniel

But for insurance it's 5 years! So they still need to be told for another 2 years

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Alfa145

posted on 26/7/12 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch

Daniel

But for insurance it's 5 years! So they still need to be told for another 2 years

Some are 5 and some are 3 for convictions.

Most are 5 for claims I think.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 26/7/12 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Never seen 3 years. All insurance companies I've ever checked with have been 5

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

eddie99

posted on 26/7/12 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, insurance prices fluctuate randomly. Sometimes end of the month is better because they have already met targets and just looking for a bonus and other times they havent met required targets so giving away cheaper insurance.

However i have just got my insurance renewal through and its dropped £600 without even ringing them up.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
vanepico

posted on 26/7/12 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
never thought of cookies sneaky bastards!!!
dhutch

posted on 26/7/12 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I told them the dates of the offenses, so its all clear from that point of view. But i have found that a lot of kitcar companies wont touch you if you have more than 6points, which until then, i did. (dont ask)

loggyboy

posted on 26/7/12 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
never thought of cookies sneaky bastards!!!

it wont just be cookies, as you enter all your details it could well be under name or address.

Do a quote on a different ISP, under an assumed name, 1 door down from your own address and see if it comes out the same as it did before.

Mistral Motorsport

vanepico

posted on 26/7/12 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I think i will hold out on the quotes till i get the car, don't wanna be driving the price up!

Also about cookies, has anyone else noticed sites seem to disclose that they use cookies now, they never used to...

Peteff

posted on 26/7/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I think i will hold out on the quotes till i get the car, don't wanna be driving the price up!

Also about cookies, has anyone else noticed sites seem to disclose that they use cookies now, they never used to...

They are legally obliged to disclose cookies now so you can leave if you do not want your privacy invaded and being bombarded with targeted advertising.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 26/7/12 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

They're legally obliged to - the data protection people were threatening to take companies to court if they didn't.

vanepico

posted on 26/7/12 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
well every time you log into a forum you have cookies, every time you enter information etc
morcus

posted on 27/7/12 at 02:23 AM Reply With Quote
As others have said, phone up as comparisson sites have a habit of doing weird things, like when I got quotes for my mazda eunos, I had to phone up to confirm it because if I put the number plate in it came up as having a manual box, which meant It would quote me as a learner as I have an Auto lisence. So I did everything manually, only to be told that I couldn't have that quote because a, the car was an import, which I'd not only told them, but the car was never available in the UK, and b, My Job title as shift manager had somehow changed to sales manager. The new quote was 4 times the original one and it made me think that there are people out there who technically don't have insurance because the same thing has happened to them, but they've never phoned up so don't realise.

The problem with the phone though is they have a habit of getting my name wrong.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

vanepico

posted on 27/7/12 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
The thing is I really want a cuddly meerkat :\

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.