Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Abandoned project, or even basic chassis
matbat

posted on 10/9/04 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Abandoned project, or even basic chassis

I know your going to suggest starting one from scratch, but as this will be my first ever Locost, I would rather adapt an existing project. I'm in Sussex so something in this area would be what I wanted.

All the Best
Mat

Chris_R

posted on 10/9/04 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
This is my first project too and it's hugely satisfying to watch it coming together. I had very little welding experience before starting so did a free 10 week course at a local college. Would definitely recommend starting from scratch, but if you're set against it you might be better off buying a chassis from someone like MK or GTS as you'll get a lot of support along with it.

[Edited on 10/9/04 by Chris_R]

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matbat

posted on 10/9/04 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Wow! that looks very good,I still think I'll try to get hold of a basic chassis, though, but if I cannot I'll learn to weld and make my own (might have to have hazard lights on permanently though!)
Chris_R

posted on 10/9/04 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
When I fist got the book and started collecting components the thought of building a chassis from scratch was a hugely daunting prospect. Even when I started the welding course I though that building the chassis would be a long way off, but eventually I just decided bugger it, if I don't start it I can't finish it. Once I got started it was great. Finally found a practical application for school book trigonometry and have been watching the whole thing grow bit by bit.

I only managed to get to 3 of the 10 3 hour welding sessions as my girlfriend was due to go into labour at the same time. During the second session I managed to submit a test piece and received a certificate about a month after the course finished saying that I'd passed.

I know that my chassis has a couple of imperfections. I'm not worried about them as I know I can compensate for them at a later date, but knowing about them is a huge benefit. One concern might be buying a chassis that you know nothing about.

If you fancy you can have a look at my site. There are nearly 50 images of my chassis from day one to it's current state. The chassis pictures are at http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/chassis.htm.

I thoroughly understand why you want to buy a chassis and build on it, but I wouldn't change a thing about the path that I've taken.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matbat

posted on 10/9/04 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
It's amazing how the chassis all takes shap. Nice website!
I am planning using a Volvo 480 Turbo engine mated to Volvo 340 running gear (5spd with transaxle) so I'd imagine i'll have some work to do fitting the gearbox in, though they aren't that big a box. Do you know if anyone has used the Volvo combination before? or used a transaxle gearbox?

Viper

posted on 10/9/04 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
do a search for locost on e-bay there are a couple on there at the moment

Chris_R

posted on 10/9/04 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if anyone else is using Volvo running gear, but check out the video in this thread.

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=15683

It's a Volvo twin cam with a turbo. The manifolds are worth it by themselves.

[Edited on 10/9/04 by Chris_R]

Deckman001

posted on 10/9/04 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I know of a rolling chassis going up for sale Very soon, Locost being built to book spec would need shox to be fully rolling tho, Not mine, but one i was helping to build for a friend who now wants to go racing instead.
Let me know if you might be interested, and i can get some pics sent.

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 12/9/04 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
More pics sent with a better description

Jason

matbat

posted on 13/9/04 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for your replies guys.
Going to look at one tomorrow.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.