Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Power point presentation ideas/skill
craig_007

posted on 1/10/12 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Power point presentation ideas/skill

Anyone on here got any experience with the above.

My brother has a presentation to prepare for his work and he came to me for some words of wisdom, I've never had to do such a thing therefore couldn't help.

How would he go about structuring the presentation and what kind of info should be inserted.

It's to be approx 5-10mins long so shouldn't need to be too in depth.

The theme is as below,

"What skill/attributes would you bring to the role of supervisor that would contribute to the development of the service"

scudderfish

posted on 1/10/12 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking generally, the worst thing he can do is put up a page of text and then read it out to the audience. He has to know what he's talking about and he has to have his back to the screen. I've sat through so many dull presentations where the presenter just reads it out. I'd rather they'd just emailed it to me and I'd read it in my own time.

A good technique can be just a word or two on a slide. It makes the audience focus on you and what you're saying rather than half listening, half reading. He's trying to present himself, so the focus definitely needs to be on him and not the standard powerpoint clipart and animations.

ReMan

posted on 1/10/12 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Dont be too flash with animations or anything beyond bullet points coming on screen
Use small words and big pictures on the slides and then speak the big words
Use the 9 oclock news style....
Tell them what you are going to tell them. 15%
Tell them. 70%
Tell them what you told them. 15%

Which only leaves about 5 minutes to fill on what it is they really need to know, ie you have these 3 skills and this experience that achieved x and your keen to develop that further

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

scudderfish

posted on 1/10/12 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.slideshare.net/thecroaker/death-by-powerpoint
mads

posted on 1/10/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said...

- fewer words on a slide and talk around what is on there rather than read it out

- make sure he knows his slides inside out. this will stop/reduce the "um" effect.

- if he fidgets or is over-zealous with hand gestures then he should read this for some advice about body language when presenting

- is it 5 or is it 10mins for presentation? i ask because it could be that he needs to leave time for questions as part of the allowance. on average a slide should last about a minute so this should give him a good idea of the number of slides he should have (including any content and final slides).

- looking at the title, he may want to start with a negative about the current service and how he will improve it as he has skill X, Y and Z.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

craig_007

posted on 1/10/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input chaps.

The death by power point explains well.

He's got 30mins in total but 5/10 mins has to be a presentation.

So bullet points seem to be the way to go.

whitestu

posted on 1/10/12 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Use pictures if possible - makes it much more engaging!
mark chandler

posted on 1/10/12 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
5-10 minutes, no more than 4 slides at most, that includes introductions and only very succicent bullets at that!

Less is more

Worzey

posted on 1/10/12 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I do presentations all the time, often to very large audiences at conferences and seminars.

I agree with the points above.

If I get a 5-10 minute presentation slot I wouldn't have any text. The audience tends to read the text and won't listen to the speaker often tuning out to the important things that you're going to say. Mind you, it takes balls not to have any text but the results are worth it.

I would use some interesting/fun pictures that illustrate the points I'm trying to make and talk around them. This approach makes you seem more knowledgeable, relaxed and comfortable. When you don't need a PowerPoint crutch to support you and the audience tend to be much more engaged and hang on your every word.

Work on 1-2 minutes per slide and forget the animations unless absolutely necessary to illustrate the point.

Caterham R400

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.