Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boiler loosing pressure
stevegough

posted on 1/3/13 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Boiler loosing pressure

A little advice, pretty please, to the collective brain that is LCB!

I have a Worcester 24CDi - about 8 or so yrs old.

It has, over the last couple of years leaked pressure - seems to be ok when it is running, the pressure stays between 2 and 3 bar.
when it has been off for an hour or so, the pressure has slipped down to 0.5. Lately ( the last week or two) it drops right to nil.

The problem is, I am pretty sure, the overpressure valve, as there is nearly always a drip coming from the tail outside the house.
I have replaced this twice, once about 18 months ago, it was ok for a week after that, then it started loosing slightly again.
A couple of months ago I replaced it a second time, once again, it was ok for a few days, then it started leaking again.

Is there a possibility the valves I am putting on are poor quality? (They were both supplied from ebay plumbing suppliers - different
ones each time, but the valves were new and right for this boiler).

The only other thing I have tried is capping the tail - yeah, I know - a bit dodgy, but its just something I tried for a few hours - the pressure
just kept climbing to full scale (4.0) then I turned it off! The pressure held ok with the boiler off, though.

Any comments will be gratefully received......

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Wadders

posted on 1/3/13 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Check the expansion vessel. It may have lost pressure or ruptured inside.
Check the filling loop is not letting by.
Replace 3 bar it will be knackered now.
Pressure should be 1 bar cold. Rising to approx 2 bar hot.
Al

Nick DV

posted on 1/3/13 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
It sound to me like the pressure vessel has gone as Wadders suggested. Mine went on the same boiler and if you are lucky enough to have room on the LHS of the boiler, then you can replace it without having to take half the boiler apart!
With regards to the safety valve, once they have 'operated' you tend to get bits of cr*p that's in the system in the valve which causes it not to seat and hence it allows water out of the system. (Of course yours could be operating due to over pressure!)

Have a good look at the big red expansion vessel for any signs of corrosion or leaks as a starting point. I assume you are 'looking' , but remember what Gas Safe is all about though.

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

Not Anumber

posted on 1/3/13 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Check the shraeder valve on the expansion vessel for air pressure. If any water comes out of this valve you will need to replace the pressure vessel. They aren't very expensive or difficult to change

snapper

posted on 1/3/13 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Had a similar issue last week
Schroeder valve, pence to replace
The dripping from theories sure relief valve however was more of a flood when mine went.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

stevegough

posted on 1/3/13 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info, guys - I will have a serious look at it now (probably early next week now due to work commitments). - I was convinced it had to be the relief valve - but I'm not really surprised so many of you think it may be the expansion chamber - would that account for the pressure dropping I've described?

There is a wall cupoard to the left of the boiler, but removing that to help access wouldn't be a problem.

Once again, thanks to all of you.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

watsonpj

posted on 1/3/13 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
This sounds similar to my issue a week a so ago. In my case the bladder pressure was too high which meant the expansion wasnt being used. The pressure would then go over pressure when hot an vent a little it then went off overnight cooled down and pressure dropped below 0.5 and then the boiler wouldnt resart. I had to then top it up a small amount and then it would work for a while until the ext cold day. Once i reduced the pressure on he expansion it was all ok.
Not Anumber

posted on 1/3/13 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by watsonpj
This sounds similar to my issue a week a so ago. In my case the bladder pressure was too high
Was that after a few pints in the Roebuck ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.