Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How knowledgeable are IVA testers with engine numbers?
Piooly

posted on 22/1/15 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
How knowledgeable are IVA testers with engine numbers?

How knowledgeable are IVA testers with engine numbers?

My current engine I think is a 1994 engine which means my emmission are going to need to conform to BET rules which is never going to happen. I need my engine to be pre 1992.

I have found a number of databases on the internet that lists all the engine numbers and the manufacture dates which I could obviously cope to my computer so I can print them off and show to the IVA test man.

Question is do the IVA test guys already have there own sheets for engine numbers etc or do they rely on what you as an owner bring along to the test? Is it your responsibility to show the tester 'proof' of engine age?

theduck

posted on 22/1/15 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Dont do it.
Slimy38

posted on 22/1/15 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'm aiming to get a letter from the company themselves to prove engine date, I can't imagine the IVA inspector taking 'something off the net' as any guide of engine age.

I'm guessing your engine was manufactured a little earlier than when it was registered, hence the difference between internet dates and actual dates?

JoelP

posted on 22/1/15 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
It's really not worth pissing him/her off, imagine if you got caught out!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

gremlin1234

posted on 22/1/15 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
My current engine I think is a 1994 engine which means my emmission are going to need to conform to BET rules which is never going to happen. I need my engine to be pre 1992.

why do you say it needs to be pre '92, ?
I looked into this in detail the other day, re a rover v8 car...
ok, the first flowchart goes to 92, but following it through (cat 1) it allows 3.5% co and 1200 hc, up to effective date 31 july '95
also for “Amateur Built" cars 'effective date goes from the beginning of the year - so up to 31 dec '95

ie you just have to prove the engine was built before end '95.

Piooly

posted on 22/1/15 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:

why do you say it needs to be pre '92, ?
I looked into this in detail the other day, re a rover v8 car...
ok, the first flowchart goes to 92, but following it through (cat 1) it allows 3.5% co and 1200 hc, up to effective date 31 july '95
also for “Amateur Built" cars 'effective date goes from the beginning of the year - so up to 31 dec '95

ie you just have to prove the engine was built before end '95.

Would my car need a CAT to be fitted to meet this?

gremlin1234

posted on 22/1/15 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
don't know, however: the last box of the flow chart says "Carry out a non
CAT test
CO <= 3.5%
HC <= 1200ppm"

edit:
looking at the other options in the flow chart, it is quite clear that no cat would be required on a vehicle in the list that didn't have it from new, so clearly, if its not listed, it doesn't need one fitted

[Edited on 22/1/15 by gremlin1234]

Piooly

posted on 22/1/15 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
don't know, however: the last box of the flow chart says "Carry out a non
CAT test
CO <= 3.5%
HC <= 1200ppm"

edit:
looking at the other options in the flow chart, it is quite clear that no cat would be required on a vehicle in the list that didn't have it from new, so clearly, if its not listed, it doesn't need one fitted

[Edited on 22/1/15 by gremlin1234]

Ok that's looks like it would work. I shall base it on that then. Cat 1 test, non cat. Thanks a lot Gremlin, been worrying about this for ages!!!!!!! Doesn't matter how many times I read the IVA manual, so easy to miss something...

zetec

posted on 23/1/15 at 01:45 AM Reply With Quote
I know I passed SVA but I had a '94 Zetec and passed with no cat, as said the cut off for all cars to be fitted with a cat was after this date.

Unless you know for sure the car fitted with the engine was fitted with a cat, then you might want to be honest...nah best not ay!

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Slimy38

posted on 23/1/15 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
92 is considered the date where most production cars had cats, so thats the date that gets thrown around on the various modding forums when they ask about decatting. 95 is the cutoff date for iva emissions.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.