Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cleaning Suede Car Seats - Any Advice
John P

posted on 22/11/22 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Cleaning Suede Car Seats - Any Advice

Hi,

I've recently bought a 2016 Mazda 3 Black Edition which has seats upholstered with what's described by Mazda as suede on the main facings with leather on the edges (bolsters?).

Anyway, the car has only done 25,000 miles and the interior is very good apart from the suede on the drivers seat which looks worn in a couple of small areas but I suspect it's actually just dirty and the nap on the suede has become crushed making it look a little shiny.

I'm not at all sure how to clean it and what I've found on-line is a bit contradictory. Does anyone have any advice on how and with what to clean / revitalize it with?

John,

russbost

posted on 23/11/22 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
I would try Groom or a similar foaming product. If the 25k is genuine then the most likely thing wrong with the suede is that it's basically dirty, has accepted a quantity of bodily fluids! () If you can "lift" that ground in grime out I suspect the suede (or PU suede or whatever it is) will return to it's former shape & colour

I would obviously try a small area first & go through the full cleaning process allowing it to dry after, better to knacker a small bit than the whole area, tho' I've never seen any fabric that didn't look better after scrubbing with Groom

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/11/22 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Well normally with suede (I usually wear suede boots) you use a small copper wire brush and gently brush it to loosen up the fibers and get it back to normal.

Unlike russbost's "bodily fluids" theory, suede just seems to turn to a matted almost leather like finish if it's just rubbed very often, it's not a good finish for high wear area's.

However, mass produced car seats are usually some mutant textile mixture and may have never seen a cow! So I would tread very carefully. But I too would use Groom and very gentle wire brushing. Work on only one panel at a time and get the whole panel damp not just a small patch or you'll end up with a water stain when it dries.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 24/11/22 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Many years ago a way to clean grease from sheepskin jackets (Arthur Daley) was to lightly rub in some fullers earth leave it for a while then brush it with a stiff brush. Worked quite well, can you still get fullers earth though?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

James

posted on 29/11/22 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
(I usually wear suede boots)

Looking of the Simpsons episode where Homer is on the phone ordering white silk boots for the Springfield binmen sent me down an entire Simpsons rabbit hole.

Seriously! Suede boots???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

gremlin1234

posted on 30/11/22 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
can you still get fullers earth though?

https://www.paws.com/Pettex-Fullers-Earth-Hygienic-Clumbing-Cat-Litter/p/I0013338

John P

posted on 30/11/22 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the advice.

I contacted the manufactures of Groom but they said it wasn't recommended for Leather as it can cause it to dry out and possibly crack. Although they hadn't specifically tried it on Suede they thought it may well have similar issues to leather so suggested I avoid it.

After much searching I've now ordered some Alcantara and Suede cleaner from Autobrite Direct. Gets good reviews on some detailing forums but I'm not sure it isn't just a mixture of water and a mild detergent.

Apparently you apply it to a micrifibre cloth and then use this to clean the suede.

I'll let you know how it works.

John.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.