Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wanted.....borrow sewing machine?
nitram38

posted on 2/7/06 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Wanted.....borrow sewing machine?

One of my sva fails was to do with my seat/rollhoop. They are one and the same. I did put roll cage padding (aka pipe lagging) but the tester said it must be a "manufactured finish".
I have bought some vinyl and heavy duty thread, but I can't find anyone to lend me a machine.
I have this week off and I am trying to beat the clock. If I email my tester he said he would fit me in to do a retest and hopefully if that gets done, I will be able to persuade wimbledon dvla to see my car this week aswell
I know that I am being optomistic, but I have got to try!!!!!!!!
Even better would be someone to do it for me for some beer tokens, but they would have to come to me!

Desperately yours

Martin
(Since these photos I have stuck some foam over the top hoop)
rollhoop
rollhoop

Description
Description

[Edited on 2/7/2006 by nitram38]

MkIndy7

posted on 2/7/06 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
It was 2 years ago now but we got away with pipe lagging completely wrapped with black Insulation tape to give it a better finish. Not sure if thats what you tried the first time.

There is some external pipe lagging used in industry thats wrapped with rubber, you cut strips of rubber off and wipe the over lapping edges with white spirit or thinners (that type of solvent) and then just hold them together for a few seconds while they stick.

Probably not that expencive and should look more profesional.

nitram38

posted on 2/7/06 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I have already spent £40 on vinyl, thread and velcro
I would prefer a pro job as everyone will see it.

MkIndy7

posted on 2/7/06 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Aah fair enough, thought it might have "blown off" on the way home from the SVA

If your holding in on with Velcro could you glue the velco to the back of the Vinyl, migh be a last resort.

Peteff

posted on 2/7/06 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I bought an old one from a flea market for £5 and it gets used for this kind of stuff as the wife didn't like the idea of sewing car stuff with her machine. You're at the wrong end of the country for mine but if you get round the car boots and find one they don't take much mastering. I put a new zip in my favourite shorts the other day as well . If it's just a simple sleeve you want to fit over and velcro in place it should be easy enough.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

nitram38

posted on 2/7/06 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
I want a slip over cover that can be velcroed down the sides below the hoop.
Looks more and more like a hand stitch job
There will be a fair bit of sewing around the hoop and on seams to make it look neat. Also the velcro will need to be sewn in.

[Edited on 2/7/2006 by nitram38]

Peteff

posted on 2/7/06 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
You make them inside out then the seams disappear when you turn them. Velcro can be glued but caravan suppliers sell it in self adhesive with matched lengths of hooks and loops, you can buy it by the foot.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeRJ

posted on 2/7/06 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
As pete says, use an old machine such as a Singer, they can sew this kind of stuff with no problems, whereas the posh modern ones seem to be quite delicate. My mum had to send her Husqvarna machine back after trying to sew my motorbike seat cover.

A quick look through your local Freeadds etc. should turn up something for a few quid.

nitram38

posted on 2/7/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Gents
No takers on someone doing it for me then?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.