Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh - lcb website almost unusable
nick205

posted on 10/10/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh - lcb website almost unusable

is it just me or is this site getting way too flakey?

Pretty constantly experiencing crashes and database errors and directive processing errors.

I know it's run out of the goodness of ChrisW's heart, but maybe it's time some money was put in the pot to pay for some upgrades?

Just a thought.....

Pdlewis

posted on 10/10/06 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Good Idea
JoelP

posted on 10/10/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
it shouldnt be our pocket or the goodness of his heart, this site is easily busy enough to be funded out of advertising and traders. I think he lacks time to optimise it tbh. Something does need doing though because the site is so slow now im thinking of giving up!
indykid

posted on 10/10/06 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
i think everyone with over 2000 posts should be made to pay for site maintenance!

i can see mad house would soon dry up if it were the case. and most of the bitching and griping.

i agree about the funding though joel
tom

greggors84

posted on 10/10/06 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe its time Chris gave one of the regulars who is good at the website stuff admin status so stuff like advertising could be maintained.

It looks like Chris still visits the site, but he hasnt posted in a few months and is probably very busy.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

peterriley2

posted on 10/10/06 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
if it was opened to advertising to kit car manufacturers/ parts manufacturers im sure it could get quite a bit of money- its the site where THE most kit car enthusiasts regularly access- surely they should be asking chris to be able to advertise here???

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

scutter

posted on 11/10/06 at 05:19 AM Reply With Quote
If you wish to help Chris with the funding of the site, there is a donate button which links to paypal on the home page (scroll down it's bottom left).

I believe Chris upgrades (new servers which when I last spoke to him were the main culprit) the site when funds allow.

I know some have helped already but newbies may now know

ATB Dan.

[Edited on 11/10/06 by scutter]

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Have to say I've not noticed a problem! Seems to run fine for me and I'm on here pretty much all the 'working' day!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Catpuss

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
There are also problems at times with the MySQL server limits being hit too.

I'm willing to help out if any maintenance needs doing. I've been working with PHP & MySQL databases for a good number of years now.

Getting sponsorship from companies would be worth it. My mate who runs zetecinside does quite well, though in his case as its for sprint and hill climb he mostly gets big discounts on products.

Its all how you market to the companies. I could possibly help in working out an approach.

marc n

posted on 11/10/06 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
maybe some of the other traders who gain business from this site ( some are not even registered traders ) would like to contribute towards the cost of web upgrades / maintainence etc in return for a small logo in the corner as we have, im happy to donate £150 to the cause ( as we do have our own section ) and if other traders did the same then that should go a long way towards helping
it would be a shame for such a great site to go down hill

just my thoughts

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ayoungman

posted on 11/10/06 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I only ever use this site during normal working hours and it has been 100% reliable for over 2 years. Clearly, the issues mentioned above must be related to high volumn of demand in the evenings. To me, this would suggest a hardware issue of some sort. Some sort of cash investment would deal with this issue.

"just like that !"

Catpuss

posted on 11/10/06 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, the idea of the traders donating a set fee each year to host the respective forum would be a nice idea if they don't do it already.

Lets face it £150 is a nomimal sum that can be written off against tax, but in proportion would really help on hosting fees.

One limitation that is there is the 100 simultaeous connections limit on the MySQL daemon which causes pages to balk out. This may be a hosting service implied limit. I can't rememeber off hand if this is a per database limit or per host service.

On top of that of course is that the server will be hosting loads of web sites.

ch1ll1

posted on 11/10/06 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
i find its night time thats the problem !
im willing to donate as its would be a shame to see this site go down ! (not that i think it will)
got a blue sierra to donate lol

marc n

posted on 11/10/06 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
ive only found it to be night time it quite often says something like too many connections ???

just made my £150 donation

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ChrisW

posted on 11/10/06 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Guys

If there is an issue, please let me know! I don't get on here as much as I'd like any more (although that has changed in the last couple of weeks - I've even got my email going and cleared all the spam out of my inbox!) but every time I have logged on I've not seen a problem. Admitttedly this has been during the daytime though. If we do need a hardware upgrade, I'll see what I can find.

For the technically minded amongst you, current load is...

quote:

[root@typhon ~]# uptime
13:46:50 up 212 days, 19:35, 2 users, load average: 0.39, 0.60, 0.55

Box is a dual P4 so I wouldn't be worried until the load gets above 1.5, but I must admit I've not checked during peak times for a while.

Chris

David Jenkins

posted on 11/10/06 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Mid-evening is the worst time...

dilley

posted on 11/10/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
some evenings I cant access the site all night, day time is fine.
peterriley2

posted on 11/10/06 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
yeah its in the evenings around 8-10 i reckon, everything slows down and you just get that too many connections thing coming up.

Joel

If you dont respect yourself, dont expect respect from anyone else
Live your dreams, dont dream your life
Women only want you for one thing- everything!

mookaloid

posted on 11/10/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well done Marc
_luke

posted on 11/10/06 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry about buying new hardware...but a brain upgrade for ChrisW might be worthwhile
ChrisW

posted on 11/10/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
I should point out '_luke' is my business partner and found a few things to tweak on the server for me, and a few things I 'overlooked' that should have been configured again when I rebuilt the server earlier in the year. Hopefully performance will improve - your feedback is welcome!

Chris

James

posted on 11/10/06 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
So when it breaks is 8-10pm.... exactly when you lot should be building your cars!

Get out in the garage you slackers!!!

Cheers,
Jim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

scutter

posted on 11/10/06 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Says speedy builder James

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

Fozzie

posted on 11/10/06 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks for that Chris! (and Luke.... )

Thanks for taking 'time-out' from your schedule for our quick chat earlier, much appreciated .......

Edited to say:- The clocks still an hour out, but...no worries, leave it a couple of weeks and it will be right again!

ATB Fozzie

[Edited on 11/10/06 by Fozzie]

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

ChrisW

posted on 12/10/06 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Ok - so I'm told (via MSN) that it was crap again tonight. Anyone care to give their comments? How was the site for you this evening? If you don't tell me about the problems I can't fix them...

It's now 1am and everything seems fine!

Chris

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.