Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mazda RX8
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/2/14 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Mazda RX8

We are all aware of the "issues" with the Renesis engine, but I still really like the RX8 package.
I would really like one as a daily driver. I've seen a bunch of quite nice low milleage cars at about £600-£700 with lunched engines. You can get a 3 year waranteed engine rebuild for anywhere between £1700-£2400 fitted. Thats still a lot of car for the money.

What do you think? I'd be happy commuting for 2 or 3 years with a £2700 car.

Before anyone mentions it, yes it would be much more fun and reliable with an LSx, Audi, Duratec etc etc. But that is a lot of hassle for a cheapo daily driver.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

MikeRJ

posted on 24/2/14 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
If you can accept the very poor fuel economy/performance ratio then I agree that you could get a great car for relatively little money.
chrism

posted on 24/2/14 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently if you stick some 2 stroke oil in with the petrol it helps preserve the apex seals in the engine.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

pewe

posted on 24/2/14 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
What MikeRJ says ^^.

A mate bought one for his 60 mile daily commute.
Sold it after 3 months at a thumping loss because he couldn't live with the fuel consumption.
It's all very well for owners to quote mileage figures but real world says you're going to use its power.....

HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

scootz

posted on 24/2/14 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
The more I read about the engine, the more I like it!

Pre-mix does seem to be the way to go. You also have to thrash it regularly to clean the seals (many failures have been put down to the engine not being rev'd hard enough to clean the build-up).

The MPG is an issue. 19-21 sems to be the norm and will hit your pocket. That said, it spits out 230hp and revs like a bike engine! Ask a S2000 driver ( similarly powered - albeit bombproof engine) how many MPG he or she gets (truthfully!) and they won't be all that far apart!

It's Evolution Baby!

Canada EH!

posted on 24/2/14 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
My son has one, driven hard, first motor went 170,000 km, on a 500 mile round trip to a Canadian Championship R/C race he and his friend driving a 2008 Corvette ZO6 got the same fuel mileage.

He loves the car, will not part with it, His daily driver is a Jeep Grand Cherokee, the Mazda has a roommate in the garage, the 960th built Austin Healey Sprite MK 1.

With these two he can enjoy both ends of the performance envelope.

The use of a little 2 stroke oil once in awhile is recommended by the engine modifiers on this side of the Atlantic.

One other thing do not start it from cold, let it run for a few moments, like moving it in the garage then shut it off, it will not restart. It has happened twice, once me, once him.

Had to tow the vehicle about 50m to clear the engine and restart, there is a tow hook with the spare tire.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/2/14 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

Pre-mix does seem to be the way to go. You also have to thrash it regularly to clean the seals (many failures have been put down to the engine not being rev'd hard enough to clean the build-up).

The MPG is an issue. 19-21 sems to be the norm and will hit your pocket. That said, it spits out 230hp and revs like a bike engine! Ask a S2000 driver ( similarly powered - albeit bombproof engine) how many MPG he or she gets (truthfully!) and they won't be all that far apart!

My Civic Type R 'only' makes about 200bhp, but I almost never get less than 30mpg and my running average for my daily (60mile) commute is 33-34mpg and I regularly explore the far end of the tachometer. If I take it really steady on a long run it will hit 40mpg, though that gets very boring.

If I could even vaguely approach those numbers I'd have an RX8 like a shot.

[Edited on 24/2/14 by MikeRJ]

rash12

posted on 24/2/14 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
rx8

father in law has one of these runs on lpg just a thought for your economy at around 78p a litre
morcus

posted on 24/2/14 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
My vectra used to average 12 and my searches online showed high 20's was the most you could hope for and that only made 170 bhp so the economy doesn't seem like something to worry about especially since it will handle which the vectra was never good at.

If the engine rebuild costs £2K and gives you three years garanteed use then it's not as bad price to pay, could you get another engine in there for the same money?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

S2kPower

posted on 24/2/14 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
It's very easy to get 25mpg + in an s2000. That was as a daily driver from tadworth surrey to Putney london, so all sorts of roads.

The RX8 is terrible on fuel, my mate had one. But they're so comfy, handle great and generally a lot of fun

I considered one, but got an s2000 instead.

quote:

balidey

posted on 24/2/14 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
There are a couple of conversions to put VAG turbo engines in.
I know that kind of takes away one of the reasons for having an RX8, but it gives you quite a few bonuses.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

boosted

posted on 24/2/14 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
i love rotaries there great just need a little more maintenance than piston engines.

1. warm up before driving hard.
2. Run 40 - 1 2 stroke oil in the fuel. Lubricates the apex seal and minimal wear.
3. Hit the red line at least 1 on every drive. Theres a buzzer to tell you. To burn carbon build up.
4. Coils on 8s are prone to failure, check for white marks on sealing compound circa 30 k is norm. a rotary fires every combustion cycle!
5. get into habit of 4k shutdown. cold or hot . raise revs to 4000 rpm and shut off ignition. Fuel is immediately turned off but engine spins from 4000 to 0 clearing the chambers.
6. regular oil changes as oil metering pump injects this oil into chambers.
7. cats are prone to failure if coils have not been changed.
8. turbo'd rotaries do not like detonation, will blow a tip off and destroy that chamber on low octane fuel or bad map.

cracking motors if you know what your dealing with and all from a 1300. At 9000 rpm( the eccentric shaft same as crank) the rotors are turning at 3000 rpm.

Ive had 3 rotaries Rx7 fd , rx8 and my Westy rx8.

boosted

posted on 17/6/14 at 06:00 AM Reply With Quote
edit premix ratio 140 -1
ceebmoj

posted on 17/6/14 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

How are you geting on with the one you bourght?

coyoteboy

posted on 17/6/14 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

a rotary fires every combustion cycle! 

So do all engines, otherwise its a misfire

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.