Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil & Fluid extractor vac pump :-) highly recommend !
britishtrident

posted on 26/3/09 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Oil & Fluid extractor vac pump :-) highly recommend !

A couple of months back I bought a Vacuum Oil Changer Pump -- the type of pump that sucks the oil out through the dips stick hole.

Yesterday I used it for the first time to change the sump on the son inlaws Rover 45. I must say I was impressed you can almost completely empty the sump through the dip stick hole -- all that was left in the sump when it was removed was about a generously sized table spoonful of oil -- and that would probably have been sucked up the car had been sitting level or jacked tilt it towards the dip stick.

But the really good points is it makes zero mess both when changing the oil and at recycling centre..

However if you buy one of these it is much cheaper to buy it from a yacht chandlers not somewhere like Machine Mart. The brans to look for are Pela or Seago.

[Edited on 26/3/09 by britishtrident] Rescued attachment 2.jpg
Rescued attachment 2.jpg

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

40inches

posted on 26/3/09 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Got the same one,use it for bleeding brakes and clutch too
sucksqueezebangblow

posted on 26/3/09 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Britishtrident, what is a good price for one? I've seen the Piela 6000 for £36, is that about right?

40 Inches, How did you use it for brake bleeding? Suck the brake fluid through the caliper nipple?

Better to Burnout than to Fade Away JET METAL ~ AndySparrow ©

hobbsy

posted on 26/3/09 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I've always been put off these cos surely sucking the oil out the dipstick tube may leave metal fragments or other crap collected at the bottom of the sump behind or even worse suck it up but not completely remove it.

Or is this not the case?

wilkingj

posted on 26/3/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
I've always been put off these cos surely sucking the oil out the dipstick tube may leave metal fragments or other crap collected at the bottom of the sump behind or even worse suck it up but not completely remove it.

Or is this not the case?

Remove Drain plug, Drill small blind hole and araldite a small Magnet to the plug. That will sort the ferrous bits out.

Or use the vac pump to get most of the oil out, then remove drain plug for the last tea cup full. It has to be less messy.

Just a though!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 26/3/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow
Hi Britishtrident, what is a good price for one? I've seen the Piela 6000 for £36, is that about right?

40 Inches, How did you use it for brake bleeding? Suck the brake fluid through the caliper nipple?

£36 for a 6 litre is a very good price mine is only a 4 litre which cost about 28 inc p&p

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

v8kid

posted on 26/3/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Or you can build an electric one for nowt.

I got an empty gas cylinder, the ones that are about knee high and unscrewed the valve on top. It is a standard water pipe thread.

Fill the tank with water to make sure all the gas is out and drill a 0.5" hole in the top shoulder and weld a short length of suitably sized exhaust pipe over it - while the water is still in the tank please to avoid meeting your maker sooner than you anticipated.

Screw in a water pipe fitting - I think it was 0.5" BSP. Connect some reinforced hose to it with the last bit some small bore central heating copper pipe.

Pop the pipe into your sump connect your vaccume cleaner to the bit of exhaust pipe which conveniently should be the same inside diameter as the outside diameter of the vac nozzle, switch on, and Bob's your uncle, or auntie as the case may be.

I have a dry sump so the suction nozzle is 0.5" and it empties 8l in 10 seconds!!!

Good tip about brake bleeding by the way I must try that sometime.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 26/3/09 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy

thats what I though too :?

but its got to be better than a mechanic I know off who punches a hole in the oil filter then starts the car and runs it till no more comes out

(as for me I use a 4 post ramp )

-

40inches

posted on 27/3/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sucksqueezebangblow

Yep! keep a vacuum in the container and pump the pedal as normal, keeping the reservoir topped up. Bled my sons MR2 Turbo clutch after days using conventional methods failed You can get purpose made vacc bleed kits. http://www.mackay.co.uk/webstore/acatalog/info_30401821-13707.html

[Edited on 27-3-09 by 40inches]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.