Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: right i want to learn how to weld
omega0684

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
right i want to learn how to weld

i want to learn how to mig weld, there are lots of little jobs i need to do and having the ability to produce a respectable weld would make a lot of them easy for me.

so my questions is what tools do i need to learn how to weld, obviously mig welder mask etc but what type, im a complete novice so added detail and explanations of how and why will help considerable,

also where can i get the equipment from at reasonable/cheap prices, second hand etc

cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Get down to your local college, they often do 10 week+ free courses throughout the year aimed at increasing the skills of unskilled labourers.

Well worth it, but they are obviously highly subscribed.

Craig

twybrow

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I have at least 2 spare helmets, so don't buy them!

Have a look at Aldi at the moment. They are doing a special on a gas/gasless Mig. To be honest, it looks like a Clarke welder in disguise.... Alsi also have a load of other very useful welding bits this months - clamps, overalls etc.

blakep82

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
that aldi welder doesn't look too bad for the money. once you get used to welding you'll probably want something better. but should be alright to learn with

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_9841.htm

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

r1_pete

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of usefull stuff HERE to get you going, including kit tips.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Got to second going on a college course.

For £100 or so I got a 30 hours tutored training, good equipment, all the steel I could want to practice on and a City and Guilds qualification!

I got on so well with them they even let me stay on to build the chassis there!!!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

UncleFista

posted on 19/5/09 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a welder and start practising on scrap, we learned to weld by making a car !
Nowt's fallen off yet, well, nowt important anyway...

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

PAUL FISHER

posted on 19/5/09 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
A couple of hours with Martin Keenan,should get you proficient.

http://www.mkengineering.co.uk/weldertraining.htm

donny

posted on 19/5/09 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I third the local college course. While I am at no stage to build at least I have an SVQ in mig welding. You learn all about correct welding techniques and all about getting the right penetration. I really enjoyed it and found it relaxing after work. This despite the learning about not to pick up hot metal with your hands...

Cheers,
Don.

handyandy

posted on 19/5/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
i,ll "4th" the college course, thats what i did, started in january on an 11 week course & now my Haynes chassis is 80% welded together, the course was brill, i bought my mig 150amp off the mig welding forum for £50 which included 2 pub style gas bottles.
have fun its great when it works..... eventually

cheers
andy

Andi

posted on 19/5/09 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
I fifth the college route. Just finished my 10 week Wednesday evening course, I reckon I used more weld than the college fees were.
And took home some roof joist end repair brackets, 2 home made O rings on wall plates to lock up my trailer and pushbikes and some wrought iron railings to beef up the security on our gate
Also had a quick blast at brazing which Im sure I will use and spot welding.

Andi

[Edited on 19/5/09 by Andi]

omega0684

posted on 19/5/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
ok so i just checked out the city college in coventry and they offer a 10 week course, attending twice a week for £230, plus there is a £36 exam fee and £100 for materials. it says the course is Welding Introductory Skills - City & Guilds Level 1 , is this a qualification?

more info here

opinions please

Paul (Notts)

posted on 19/5/09 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Find a cheeper course - I am doing 15 weeks ( 2hrs per week) DIY welding for just £90

No exam but supply most of my own metal after first 5 weeks.

Paul

blakep82

posted on 19/5/09 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
definitely worth getting proper instructions, but £366 is a bit much...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

stevegough

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a new mig from ebay a couple of weeks ago - although I am now managing to weld with it, I am finding it a little difficult to get a good weld with proper penetration without burning the metal away. A bit of professional tuition would be a a good idea for me, too - but I am managing after a fashion. Its all a question of balancing power and wire feed speed.

I was impressed with the welder I bought, though - ebay shop was selling it, £125 for a 130a sealey. they are still selling them - take a look.......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SEALEY-SIEGEN-MIG-WELDER-130-AMP-WITH-KIT-S0771_W0QQitemZ400049906012QQihZ027QQcategoryZ113743QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trk sidZp1742.m153.l1262

good luck, Steve. Rescued attachment My new toy.jpg
Rescued attachment My new toy.jpg

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

martyn_16v

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
ok so i just checked out the city college in coventry and they offer a 10 week course, attending twice a week for £230, plus there is a £36 exam fee and £100 for materials. it says the course is Welding Introductory Skills - City & Guilds Level 1 , is this a qualification?

Probably the C&G 3267 certificates. Shop around as it were, that's horrifically expensive. I did mine last year for half that cost (all materials included), and managed to squeeze in level 1 and 2 MIG, and level 1 TIG(steel).

I'd hate to try and learn on my own using a cheap welder, how are you supposed to work out if it's you or the machine that's crap at first

RoadkillUK

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
Buy a welder and start practising on scrap, we learned to weld by making a car !
Nowt's fallen off yet, well, nowt important anyway...

Back Axle?

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

hobbsy

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
Find a cheeper course - I am doing 15 weeks ( 2hrs per week) DIY welding for just £90

No exam but supply most of my own metal after first 5 weeks.

Paul

Yeah but surely there are only going to be so many places near to you that offer these.

Driving over an hour each way more to get to one to save £50 over the length of the course might not make sense - plus the fuel etc.

I might go for one by me but it seems they only do them once a year (in Jan).

Out of interest is £150 for 10x 2hr sessions.

ashg

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
i paid £350 for a 26week nvq level 2 in tig welding but also covered mig gas and arc.

worth every penny. i could weld ok to start with but im significantly better after the course.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

omega0684

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
ok so now who can recommend me a good beginners welder, at the moment the Aldi one is looking like the best bet, i have been reading through http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/ to get more information and i reckon i wo'nt need a welder any more than 130-150 amps max (maybe this is a little over kill, but according to the calculator on the site that should be able to weld up to about 4mm. im only after a 'hobby' welder really, but i concerned about buying and getting stuck with a hump of junk!
eccsmk

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
if you register on www.mig-welding.co.uk
theres a chap called weldequip
he makes/builds welders
HTH

NS Dev

posted on 21/5/09 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
if you are still looking for welding tutoring then send me a u2u. I am now working for myself and welding most days and not far from Cov.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.