Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Auto Welding Helmet?
coozer

posted on 29/9/09 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Auto Welding Helmet?

Well, sitting here with my face stinging and a touch of arc eye I think its time for an auto helmet...

Is THIS one any good.

Any recommendations?

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

graememk

posted on 29/9/09 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
spend a bit more money on one mate....
t16turbotone

posted on 29/9/09 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
looks good to me, mines very similar but cost me 89 quid!!
am i correct in thinking your fitting a T series in your 7 ?

blakep82

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
i've never really trusted them, in case they decide to fail one day... therefore, don't buy cheap

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
That one looks very much like the one I've got and it's great.

Depends on what you're going to use it for though. MIG gives off a fair bit of light, TIG helmets need to be more sensitive IIRC.

coozer

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by t16turbotone
looks good to me, mines very similar but cost me 89 quid!!
am i correct in thinking your fitting a T series in your 7 ?

T16 may be going into my Jago.. we'll see.

Need for a mig to fab a new chassis for the jeep.

Just seen a 'better' one from the same seller but has specs and adjustments..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

chrsgrain

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
The one I've got blocks all UV, so even if it fails (which it never has) you don't get arc eye, just a white spot in front of your eye for a few seconds (I have 'tried' it by not switching it on first, and its just a bit bright really....)

I would take advice from someone who knows, maybe MigTigArc in Portsmouth or Weldequip on the migwelding site...

Your eyes are important!

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

Mr G

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
A guy (weldequipe) over on the mig-welding forum sells decent masks at a decent price

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/

[Edited on 29/9/09 by Mr G]

flibble

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
looks very similar to the one I ordered from the USA last year for a similar price, not great quality but have never tried a more expensive one to see the difference.
It goes dark instantly which is pretty much all I could ask of it
Also, about the trusting them incase they fail - my screens is a fairly dark green as standard so wouldnt blind you instantly if it failed to notice you arc up

flak monkey

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheap one, and other than the hinges going its still on its first set of batteries, is fail safe and solar powered too.

Been pretty good with moderate use over the last couple of years.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

blakep82

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, if they're UV blocking anyway, i might consider one myself. would certainly make things easier in a cramped space. nothing worse than the torch moving when you flip the visor down, stiking an arc to find you're about 1/2" out

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Paul (Notts)

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Try these...
http://www.diywelding.co.uk/products.asp?d=2&c=1

had the cheep parweld one for a year and seems very good.

[Edited on 29/9/09 by Paul (Notts)]

ashg

posted on 29/9/09 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
i got one of those cheepp ones but it went funny after about 6months. it still works but depending what angle you look through the screen depends on how dark it is. i gave up in the end and got a proper £200 esab one. in a word its the muts

if i didnt have £200 and had to buy one it would be a parweld one cost around 40-60 ish

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Peteff

posted on 29/9/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i've never really trusted them, in case they decide to fail one day... therefore, don't buy cheap

If they fail they go dark. You can't get flashed as they are shade 4 or 5 in the light state and even clear UV resistant shades will stop arc eye. I got one same as that free with my new welder and it is fine for anything I do.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

robocog

posted on 29/9/09 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Also got one of the really cheap ones on eBay after getting it wrong one day with my old flip down job and suffering real badly with arc eye...I swore it would never happen again for the sake of the £20 or whatever it was to buy the auto darkening one

Mine has been just fine and dandy, doesn't eat batteries (still on original ones 12 months on) or have any bad habits

I have done a bit of welding since and no arc eye yet and can see well enough when it "goes clear" to not be forced to to flip it up to see what is going on ..I guess thats the whole point of them :-)

When it stops working (I suspect through abuse rather than electronic breakdown) I would buy the same make/model again

Regards
Rob

Dangle_kt

posted on 29/9/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got one very similar but from the states, works a treat but the headband is a bit rubbish - it broke at the adjuster so its now held tight with a bit of gaffer tape.

Still works a treat, but its no top line helmet.

40inches

posted on 29/9/09 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Good quality helmets from here http://www.autodarkhelmet.co.uk/ I have the SX and it's superb, had a cheap ebay one before, I didn't realise how bad it was until I got this one.
As said above, clear safety glasses will stop arc eye.

plentywahalla

posted on 29/9/09 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Suspiciously cheap IMHO. Best pay more for an adjustable one. (9-gas, 11-mig, 13-Tig) using the wrong shade can cause the shield to temporarily quit.

Also need adjustable sensitivity for different light conditions. In bright sunlight welding shiny metal the mask will sometimes not react properly.

I struggled with a cheap mark until I realised I was learning the hard way

DavidW

posted on 29/9/09 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul (Notts)
Try these...
http://www.diywelding.co.uk/products.asp?d=2&c=1

had the cheep parweld one for a year and seems very good.

[Edited on 29/9/09 by Paul (Notts)]

Me too. Works well.

I got mine from eBay for about £40 delivered.

oliwb

posted on 29/9/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Miller auto helmet. Its amazing. I had a cheap one before and it was totally naff....especially with TIG welding. The miller has 4 sensors so even if your hand ends up between the arc and one of the sensors it will still darken. I would save up and get a more expensive one (think mine was about £140) the measurable difference is easily 5 times that of the cheaper £30 one I had before.
As has been said before they filter UV whether the helmet is on/dark or not. So although its bright and you wot see much for a min or two theres no lasting damage and no chance of arc eye.
Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 29/9/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I got one of those cheap ebay ones, and it has been the best £28 I have spent on tools in a long while - it considerably improved my welding (MIG). It is adjustable for sensitivity and to how dark it goes, plus it came with a load of spare lenses. The battery is still the original, and safety wise it is dark when switched off, so fails safe. Go for it - for less than £30 it has to be worth a punt!
Wadders

posted on 29/9/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Do a search for ESAB origo tech, i bought one from my local welding supplier in leeds (pennine welding) for £55+vat

Great value for money considering the name on it.
I use it for both mig and tig.

Al.

speedyxjs

posted on 29/9/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Mine cost £17 on fleabay 2 years ago. Still works fine and on same set of batteries.
The batteries tend to power the lighting rather than the darkening so you wont have any probs with arceye.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

tomblyth

posted on 29/9/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I use one of these! and it goes down to 5 (for alloy) and its mint (dear though!)
optrel

Mansfield

posted on 29/9/09 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Go for the Parweld, I wanted a dearer one but DIYWELDING (Central Welding) talked me out of it. More than twice as good as the cheaper ones at less than twice the price. I also have a cheaper one. Will TIG down to small amps if that is your thing, as well as all the normal MIG stuff.

£39.99 delivered, you wont look back.

Parweld

[Edited on 29/9/09 by Mansfield]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.