Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this ok for a pub CO2 Regulator?
hobbsy

posted on 8/12/10 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Is this ok for a pub CO2 Regulator?

Finally sorting out my MIG setup (I'm a relative n00b when it comes to welding), got a full pub CO2 bottle for much cheapness but the regulators I got with my Draper 135A Turbo set are either for the tiny disposable bottles or the are the wrong "sex" for my big bottle (male thread when I need a female thread).

I'm looking at this:

CO2 GAS REGULATOR FOR MIG WELDER / WELDING 0-4 BAR on eBay (end time 04-Jan-11 10:37:27 GMT)

Is this a both the right thing and a good deal?

Any tips appreciated. Got a reel of 0.6mm wire and I'm enrolled on an evening course for 10 weeks in Jan. Thought it wise to have this set up in advance (and during) the course so I can get best value out of it. The misses has even bought if for my Xmas present as I'm so difficult to buy for!

MikeR

posted on 8/12/10 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Personally i'd go to my local welding supplies place (probably on an industrial estate - find via the yellow pages) and get them to supply the right bits. That way, you'll get the right thing and if for any reason you don't its easy to take everything back and say "make 'x' fit 'y'". Its what i did. Its also a good place to know to get refills of co2, welding wire and tips.

Finally ............. get (if you can) an autodarkening mask. I welded for 8 years with a normal mask, its a lot easier with an auto mask.

hobbsy

posted on 8/12/10 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Already got an auto-darkening mask but good point re: finding the local welding places as their advice is probably worth the few quid you could save (assuming you choose the right thing first time!)
dhutch

posted on 8/12/10 at 11:28 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like it says it what you what, although ive never done it, as i have a BOC cylinder of agrosheild.

Daniel

matt_gsxr

posted on 8/12/10 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
why not just go around to the firm associated with that advert and take the bottle?

They are local to you aren't they?

Here is their non-ebay website and address.

http://www.weldingtorchparts.co.uk/contacts.html

Just a thought,

Was the CO2 bottle easy to come by? Any top tips?

Matt

hobbsy

posted on 9/12/10 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
i have a BOC cylinder of agrosheild.

Daniel

Does that prevent you getting into any trouble? Sorry couldn't help it!

posted on 9/12/10 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
I would recommend adding a flow meter to the reg. (a tenner extra?)

You will be able to set the flow rate exactly and be confident with the setting.
It could also save on gas, although Co2 is cheap.

My set up below. (Reg was £25 inc p&p. ebay. I had a f/m)

Cheers
Paul G

reg and flow meter
reg and flow meter

hobbsy

posted on 9/12/10 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Matt - good point, I hadn't spotted they were in the same county last night as it was late ish.

There are around 15miles away - I'll see if they are willing to help.

Also now I'm more awake I guess this might be better for the few quid extra:

http://www.weldingtorchparts.co.uk/items/regulators,%20flowmeters/regulator_co2_2g.html

I've looked on a few welding websites and kinda answered my own question in that around £30 is the going rate for one of these.

Unless someone knows somewhere cheaper than everywhere else (which was part of my original question really!)

Gas wise this is the man I used, £7+VAT for a big CO2 bottle (14lb?):

http://www.thebeerandgasman.co.uk/Cellar%20gases.html

Was able to collect from near Hinckley which wasn't too much of a detour from where I was heading yesterday.

I haven't heard of many cheaper places considering there was no deposit or rental on the bottle - very trusting as the only info he has about me is my mobile number!

hobbsy

posted on 9/12/10 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Paul - crossed posts! The link I sent above is to one with a litres per minute gauge rather than just pressure which as you say I can see being more useful!

Strangely its cheaper if you buy via eBay than his website (guess there is more competition on eBay):

CO2 GAS REGULATOR FOR MIG WELDER / WELDING - 2 GAUGE on eBay (end time 16-Dec-10 10:11:06 GMT)

What's an "f/m" in the context of eBay?

[Edited on 9/12/10 by hobbsy]

posted on 9/12/10 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
Paul - crossed posts! The link I sent above is to one with a litres per minute gauge rather than just pressure which as you say I can see being more useful!

Strangely its cheaper if you buy via eBay than his website (guess there is more competition on eBay):

CO2 GAS REGULATOR FOR MIG WELDER / WELDING - 2 GAUGE on eBay (end time 16-Dec-10 10:11:06 GMT)

What's an "f/m" in the context of eBay?

[Edited on 9/12/10 by hobbsy]

Hi Hobbsy,

Sorry. Perhaps that line should read; "I paid £25 for the reg, inc p&p, off ebay. I already had a spare flow meter so didn't need to buy another."

Note.
As a pro welder I've used all sorts of regs but never found the second pressure gauge, although it
maybe marked as L/min as confidence inspiring as a ball in a glass tube. Just my opinion.

Also you can read them "at a glance" when the bottle is getting low.

Cheers
Paul G

hobbsy

posted on 9/12/10 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Doh! F/m = flow meter! Thought it was some kind of discount code heheh

I'll look into that. Need to find the nearest place to NN4 and see what they've got.

matt_gsxr

posted on 9/12/10 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Great stuff

Hinckley is damn lucky, best buddy lives that way, so free delivery too

hobbsy

posted on 9/12/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Happy to be helpful. He also does barrels of beer if you're planning a party. Complete with "discreate" delivery!
NS Dev

posted on 9/12/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Finally sorting out my MIG setup (I'm a relative n00b when it comes to welding), got a full pub CO2 bottle for much cheapness but the regulators I got with my Draper 135A Turbo set are either for the tiny disposable bottles or the are the wrong "sex" for my big bottle (male thread when I need a female thread).

I'm looking at this:

CO2 GAS REGULATOR FOR MIG WELDER / WELDING 0-4 BAR on eBay (end time 04-Jan-11 10:37:27 GMT)

Is this a both the right thing and a good deal?

Any tips appreciated. Got a reel of 0.6mm wire and I'm enrolled on an evening course for 10 weeks in Jan. Thought it wise to have this set up in advance (and during) the course so I can get best value out of it. The misses has even bought if for my Xmas present as I'm so difficult to buy for!

Not read all the other replies BUT, chuck the 0.6mm wire away and get 0.8mm and 0.8mm tips, the 0.6 is a pig, and you can do anything you'll need to with the 0.8 stuff.

For my TIG machine I have a proper flowmeter, ball type regulator, but for my MIG I have a pub thingy that doesn't even have a gauge!!! I set it by hiss, and have never, ever, had a problem!! Its a bit different wih argon as its bloody expensive and you want the minimum suitable flow, but with the CO2, its only 12 quid a fill for pub bottles (10 ltr ones) so not even worth worrying about, especially as with "diy style" use you'll probably get a full year on one bottle!

I use my MIG day in day out now I work for myself (www.retropower.co.uk) and its fine with my "hand-me-down" regulator!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ChrisW

posted on 9/12/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Complete with "discreate" delivery!

In case you hadn't realised, 'discrete delivery' is for chain pub landlords that have either given a few too many pints away to the regulars/staff/themselves and need to make their stock up, or just want to make some sly cash on the side.

Chris (used to work in a pub!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hobbsy

posted on 9/12/10 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
TBH I was just being mean and taking the mickey out of his spelling mistake.

Wasn't there also one of those American teen coming of age type films recently where they were planning a party in their parents house but then got busted when the "keg" delivery guy turned up early (before his parents left)?

Superbad maybe?

Anyway - I didn't realise that was why someone might want discrete delivery. I thought it could be if you were an alky and didn't want your neighbours to know you were getting through 11 or 22 gallons per week

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.