Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost Vacuum Plenum
RazMan

posted on 10/12/10 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Locost Vacuum Plenum

You know the feeling when you make something that's really cheap, simple and just as good as expensive shop-bought items? Well I was thinking about how I am going take the vacuum feeds from my throttle bodies and bring them together so that I have a common vacuum source for the fuel regulator, idle valve etc etc. The cheapest I could find was about £35 and seemed huge for fitting in the engine bay. Looking around in my odds & ends box I found an old fuel filter like this one.

Description
Description

I think I paid about £2.50 for it a while back. So I got my drill and taps out, found some suitable air fittings and an hour later came up with this..

Description
Description

To get the size needed, I had to make the fittings by soldering two halves of different adaptors together

Description
Description

I can now take all 6 vacuum lines (4mm hose) and merge them into an 8mm hose - perfect!

I just wanted to share

[Edited on 10-12-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 10/12/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
pictures don't seem to work. not even in your archive

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

v8kid

posted on 10/12/10 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Looks OK to me!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 10/12/10 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, that is strange then., all other photos seem to be working for me...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ashg

posted on 10/12/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
looks too small to me.

the problem with joining all of them together with small pipes is that you get a pulse effect which will play havoc with the fuel regulator map sensor etc. the ideal size of a vacuum pulse smoothing chamber without affecting the vacuum response is about the size of a 330ml coke can.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Confused but excited.

posted on 10/12/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Poo! Pics won't open for me either.
Archive pics open OK but not these, strange.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

stevec

posted on 10/12/10 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I thought a plenum was the opposite of a vacuum
Steve

MikeR

posted on 10/12/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
looks too small to me.

the problem with joining all of them together with small pipes is that you get a pulse effect which will play havoc with the fuel regulator map sensor etc. the ideal size of a vacuum pulse smoothing chamber without affecting the vacuum response is about the size of a 330ml coke can.

I was wondering if you'd get the pulsing, talking to a dutch bloke at Stoneleigh this year and he was talking about this exact issue, he thought the best solution was an electronic damper circuit. IrvineD knows the bloke who I was talking too.

dhutch

posted on 10/12/10 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I can see the pics...
loggyboy

posted on 10/12/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Pics are red Xs for me, both on here and in your gallery/archive.
RazMan

posted on 10/12/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Strange that some are having problems with the pics - I haven't a clue why that should be

Regarding the pulsing issue, I have not detected any problems so far, but it might be the fact I have six cylinders which may be smoother than a four-pot? If anything I would have expected the small bore hose (4mm) and 3mm i/d connectors to damp out any pulses - it certainly sounds very smooth if I disconnect the pipe and listen to the hiss.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

rusty nuts

posted on 11/12/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
If you do have problems with pulsing it might be worth fitting a vacuum reservoir from something like a Mk2 golf that uses a Pieburg carb?
britishtrident

posted on 11/12/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Just Tee together then pass them through a small bore restrictor then a plenum volume then another restrictor

The volume dosen't need to be that large provided you use restrictors.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.