Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sealey sm27 lathe info
02GF74

posted on 3/1/15 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
sealey sm27 lathe info

Anybody got one of these, if so any comments?

500 mm between centres so to me that means it is not a "full size" lathe.

Looking for info such as are the thread cutting gears nylon (like on cheap mini lathes) and approx weight.

big_wasa

posted on 3/1/15 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
500mm between centres in my opinion is a full size Hobby lathe. My Boxford mk2 Model A metric is either 18" or 20" , not seen it for a few months as its in storage .

Its going to be all steal / iron. There will be no plastic gears there. Its a Chinese machine and pretty much the same as the Machine mart offering.

I wouldn't pay full price for it though.

The instruction manual is on line http://www.sealey.co.uk/pdfs/instructions/SM27_V2.pdf

edit the cl430 from machine mart is around 129kg

The above lathe with longer bed is listed at 160kg

A Boxford model A on the stand is around 230kg.

[Edited on 3/1/15 by big_wasa]

rf900rush

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
I had a Warco MT300 for many years basically the same machine. Also same as the Clarke CL500M
Note some of these come with milling attachments.
It was all metal parts.

Don't be put off by the "Don't buy Chinese , the're rubbish." I found mine very useful over many years, but as above I would not buy it new any more.

These were made on my MT300

RF900 clutch slave cylinder (with some milling on a CNC'd Warco milldrill.)
Slave
Slave

O2 sensor fitting (although thread was with a tap)
Nut
Nut

The one feature I found useful was , it had a 26mm spindle bore.

If you have room ,the bigger lathes can be had for a bargain. Hobby lathes sell higher because conveniently small.

I have now replaced mine with a Denford Viceroy. My Denford is the base model, no screw cutting but I want to CNC it later.

Pros: Much better build quality, twice the weight (sturdier)

cons: 13/16" spindle bore, twice the weight

Not much on Ebay but here are some completed listing examples.

http://www. ebay.co.uk/itm/Denford-vicroy-lathe-/221609800934?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Construction_Tools_ET&hash=item3398f934e6

http:/ /www.ebay.co.uk/itm/viceroy-lathe-small-240-volt-working-order-/251760315140?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3a9e158b04

http://www.eb ay.co.uk/itm/clark-metal-lathe-CL430-3-4-HP-230v-/301425002257?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item462e548711

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rf900rush

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
OOOOOUCH

Just seen the Sealey offer. Is that right £1320 was £1900.

Same a the Clarke CL500M at £960

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
A Chinese lathe is better than no lathe. It has its limitations but you can work with these to produce great parts. My only advice is avoid the variable speed drives in the mini lathes. But the Sealy lathe doesn't use one any way.

The big English Lathes used to be cheap due to the 3 phase motors but inverters are so cheap know that the price for a good English lathe has rocketed.

eBay is always slow for this sort of thing after xmas.

big_wasa

posted on 3/1/15 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
The cl430 is the fairer comparison with out the drill head at £800 or £670 on a vat free day.

It does have a shorter bed than the Sealey and I think the Sealey has cross feed that the Clark does not.

The Sealey can be had for under a grand with delivery eBay Item

02GF74

posted on 3/1/15 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replies, tbh didnt expect any response..... but with the crappy weather, we are sitting indoors killing time until we return to work on monday, nice!

The sealey is on ebay for a snip under £ 1 k but the mm with mill does seem a better buy, probably comes from the same chinese factory but painted blue - i wonder if there is any real difference?

Re full size, last time i used a lathe was in school so being a child, things did seem bigger back then.:O

Found review of the clarke, not brilliant but appears to do the job
http://www.steamshed.com/clarke%20cl500m%20lathe%20review.html

[Edited on 3/1/15 by 02GF74]

big_wasa

posted on 3/1/15 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Don't waste your money on the mill.

Google the reviews

mark chandler

posted on 3/1/15 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot help but think something like this will be better long term, with a 127 tooth gear wheel you get metric cuts

denham metal work lathe 240v myford nice quality lathe on stand with accessories

Just make sure the bed is tight, it will have Timken bearings so sorting out the headstock should be easy enough.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.