Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: a question of dampers
Canada EH!

posted on 27/1/06 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
a question of dampers

I just got a quote from the Canadain Spax dealer for shocks for my book locost.
spax csx $249.00 per corner
tracspax single $599.00 per corner
tracspax double $679.00 per corner
all of the above no springs.
The Pound is running about 2.05 to the Canadian dollar. Does this sound a little on the rich side, should I be ordering from there, and another company. Thanks

flak monkey

posted on 27/1/06 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds a little pricey. A set of Protech alloy shocks + springs can be had here for about £320, and Gaz dampers for similar money. No idea what shipping would be like to Canada though!

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

skodaman

posted on 28/1/06 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
The Pound is running about 2.05 to the Canadian dollar. Does this sound a little on the rich side?

Depends on how many of them you've got really.
Seriously though I think rip off is the right phrase. Why don't you import some from UK. Check on import taxes though. They're not exactly cheap here though.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madman280

posted on 28/1/06 at 12:35 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a set of Protech's last year. Was around that 320 mark plus around 50 shipping ..at $2.05CDN per pound thats about $760 + 90 brokerage fee and tax (GST only?) ..it worked out to around 900 to $950 CDN.

The Protechs are much nicer looking than any Spax I've seen. Not sure about performance, as my car isn't on the road yet, I know of one canadian locost that has the steel ones, they're rusting and Bob (I'm sorry I can't remember his last name) had mentioned he was wanting to replace them.

My supplier lists the steel body Spax adjustable platform with springs at $899 US (about $1030CDN) and aluminum adjustable with springs at $1230 US (about $1415 CDN) and thats before tax as are your Spax prices. I'd also think you should be exempt from VAT (British value added tax of 17%?).
I had to pay it as I had a few problems in delivery of mine and figured the time I'd waste chasing it wasn't worth it

I'd buy direct from Protech if I were doing it again. Best to call than e-mail.

Pro-Tech Shocks Ltd
Unit 10, Lysander Road,
Bowerhill, Melksham, Wiltshire,
SN12 6SP
Phone +44 (0)1225 705553
Fax +44 (0)1225 706663
e-mail Info@protechshocks.co.uk

Phil. S

posted on 28/1/06 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
Don't get the basic spax. They're not very good. The tracspax are good as are avos and protechs. Don't you have a Canadian Ebay? I'm sure you could get better prices than that.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" (Socrates)
"The unlived life is not worth examining" (Kopp)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisf

posted on 28/1/06 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
I second what Madman280 says. I bought directly from Protech and it was much, much cheaper than you were quote. I even had upgrades like rod end bushings and springs.

Like Madman280 say, give Kevin a call and talk to him about your needs. He's not a real email crazy guy, so give him a call.

Shipping was $120 for ten day air for me. All in USD.

--Chris

[Edited on 28/1/06 by chrisf]

andkilde

posted on 30/1/06 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
I just got a quote from the Canadain Spax dealer for shocks for my book locost.
spax csx $249.00 per corner

Hey there fellow Canuck.

I picked up a set of used AVO's complete with springs for about $250 Cdn shipped from another listmember.

If you're not too far along in your build you may be able to adapt for some bike dampers as well. They go for next to nothing on eBay and can be had in double adjustables with remote cannisters -- you'd need to get new springs and fab up or adapt some adjusting sleeves to do the job properly.

Cheers, Ted

NS Dev

posted on 30/1/06 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Will second the opinin on the basic spax items, they are pretty poor, I have never had any joy with them.

I am using protech.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

C10CoryM

posted on 30/1/06 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Check out the oval track car suppliers.
Cars like midgets, legends, sprint cars are of similar weights/size and parts are cheap. Well, cheaper than circuit track stuff . They also come in pretty short length shocks. Ive seen short as 7" compressed. There are some racing forums where guys trade springs/shocks to keep costs of tuning down.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

Canada EH!

posted on 30/1/06 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
a question of dampers

Thanks for all the info, I have been out of racing since the 70's and lost all my contacts in Canada.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.