Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Powering my garage
chockymonster

posted on 25/3/06 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Powering my garage

Something that's been bugging me since deciding to build a my MNR Vortx is that my garage has no power.

It's a rented en-bloc garage so everything has to be undoable and I don't think drilling through the wall is an option!
I can't see a way of permanently running power so everything has to be set up to allow me to unplug the garage of a late evening.

Garage
Garage

I can easily run power to the shed, but I need to make sure it's safe. There's a 13amp socket on the inside wall in the bottom left of the picture. My thoughts are to run a spur from that through the wall using armoured cable and terminating it with an IP65 waterproof plug socket on the side of the shed.
It's there I get stuck, I've got some of this
that I can use to cover the cable over the path.
and then run the it to a small RCD consumer unit in the garage.

I'm only looking to run lights and possibly a small compressor (air riveting and an air gun).

I had thought of going the generator route but I don't think I can stomach a constant 65db in the garage from a quiet 2kw generator!

Are there any other options I hadn't thought of?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hammerhead

posted on 25/3/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Solar panels?
graememk

posted on 25/3/06 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
genny

chockymonster

posted on 25/3/06 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Solar panels would be great, only kids get up on the roof and I can't see them staying there!!

Genny is an option, but what about noise levels?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 25/3/06 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
That streetlamp behind it looks very inviting . Do you know anyone who works on the waltzer .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/3/06 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I would have a temp extention lead that would sit on the fence when using it chucked over the roof. A fairly heavy cable will do and put down two cones where you stick it cross the path.

We do cables like this all the time and BT do it all over the countryside but leave them for years. As long as you dont leave it overnight and the trip hazzard is clearly marked you should be ok.

That streetlight is a good candidate for supply not that I would ever do anything like that

graememk

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldnt worry about noise from a genny, after all arnt you building a 7 ?

chockymonster

I suppose I'm always being too considerate! I was worried about having the cable running over the path.
Not that I would ever consider the streetlight but knowing my luck as soon as I try and do anything devious I'd get nicked for it (or electrocuted)!

ReMan

From what I can see, the correct answer is, you can't. At least not without putting yourself at risk of litigation by carrying power over a public area and the possibility of someone injuring themselves on it.
A generator would be the safest option, it will also save you having to mess around with extension leads every time you want to spend any (night) time in there.
Good luck

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

chockymonster

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
i wouldnt worry about noise from a genny, after all arnt you building a 7 ?

True, but how infuriating is that constant 65 ish db drone going to get? It also procludes lateish night working as people would complain.

graememk

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
that might be why none of my next door neighbours talk to me anymore

as soon as you get the engine running they'll hate you anyway

best start as you mean to go on..... very loud!!!

Fatgadget

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
That streetlamp behind it looks very inviting . Do you know anyone who works on the waltzer .

ReMan

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
OK, how about,
An inverter, get yourself a couple of good size car or van batterys, use battery equipment where possibel anyway (rechargeable dril etc, which you charge in your shed overnight, so unless your planning on running MIG welders etc then you should be OK.
Have one batt in use, the other on charge.
Rig up flurecent lighting to run off it, Roberts your mothers brother

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/500w-inverter-500-watt-12v-240vAC-converter_W0QQitemZ8050557670QQcategoryZ15329QQtcZphotoQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

zilspeed

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Drill through the wall man !!

If you do it through a mortar bed it will be easily undoable.

I would be tempted to bury an armoured cable right under the edge of the tarmac area as well. Couple of hours with the right tools and materials would have that done. Protect it with the appropriate breaker at the supply and you're done.

I mean, it's not like you're digging the road up or closing it.

rusty nuts

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with Zilspeed , a small hole through the wall which could be plugged with a bit of mortar when you have finished , a trench a couple of feet deep to be on the safe side , a trip and isolator switch are a must .
ReMan

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
, a trench a couple of feet deep to be on the safe side , a trip and isolator switch are a must .

Yea, but'

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ReMan

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
SORTED Rescued attachment garagesmall2.jpg
Rescued attachment garagesmall2.jpg

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Russ-Turner

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chockymonster
Solar panels would be great, only kids get up on the roof and I can't see them staying there!!

I can lend you an air rifle.

graememk

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
have you thought about having a meter put in lagit ?

zilspeed

posted on 25/3/06 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
have you thought about having a meter put in lagit ?

That may actually be highly feasible.

I know a family who have run a burger van from the same pitch for donkey's years now. They have their own leccy meter by the roadside in a metal cabinet which they plug into.

It's got to be possible.

Wadders

posted on 25/3/06 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
It might be safer to put a 110v site tranny in the shed, and power your lights via an extension from that, you could even put the compressor in there as well and run an air line to the garage, not ideal but at least if some dopey kid cuts the cable whilst your working they wont get a belt. If you do run power to the shed it should really be protected by a 30ma RCD.
nitram38

posted on 25/3/06 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I am an Electrician.
Use an armoured cable. Try and get your neighbours approval to run it on their fence.
Running a cable along public property is highly risky. Burying it is even worse because people do not know where it is if they carry out ground works.
You also need to install an RCD BEFORE the cable and not in your garage as you suggested.
If you tell your neighbour that it is temporary, eventually it will probably become permenant !

MikeR

posted on 25/3/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
think the issue is the slide bit is public property.
ReMan

posted on 25/3/06 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ts not the neighbours fence its a public/council fence as I understand it

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

chockymonster

posted on 25/3/06 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Ts not the neighbours fence its a public/council fence as I understand it

The garage is rented from the housing assoc, the little fence and playground is council property. There's a small patch of grass on both sides of the little fence which is again council owned, the road is public highway.

Between the playground and my fence is a paved path that I can't dig up and it's got a concrete base (not that I've lifted a slab)

I think I'm stuck with running an extension or a generator. I don't have a problem with the genny, apart from fuel costs and the noise in a single garage.
Digging a trench isn't really an option.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.