Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: disasterous and successful day in one!
omega0684

posted on 21/5/06 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
disasterous and successful day in one!

evening all

its a bit late, (midnight), but i've only just got back in from the garage. As the title of my post says,today had its good points and its bad points, i bet you are thinking what could have gone round today? could it be that the wiring is being a pain, engine trouble or even suspenion problems! but to calm yourselves it was none of these, IT WAS WORSE!

the story, went into the garage to day and thought, nice easy day, plan the fuel line route and drill the holes for the rivets, straight forward enough, you might think. dad came in to give me a hand moving the chassis to get it into a better position on the tressles, WHEN THEY BOTH COLAPSED, SNAPPING A LEG ON EACH PAIR

you can imagine it, dad at the heavy end, me at the front, holding up the car, shouting at each other LOWER IT LOWER IT....IT F***IN HEAVY! the bugger even got the wash bin

the good bit! now having my plans ruined for the day and having a chassis dropped onto the fllor i decided to take the whole thing apart and rebuild from scratch to make sure that nothing was damaged! thank god nothing was broken and i think i did pretty well, as i managed to get the car to a rolling chassis stagetook a couple of pics as i was very proud of a days work after a painful morning!

tomorrow back to the fuel pipes

ATB Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 22/5/06 at 04:21 AM Reply With Quote
They must have been heavy fuel pipes!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phillippe

posted on 22/5/06 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
u were lucky...UN,,lucky,saftey first and is the bucket 4 sale now??????
iank

posted on 22/5/06 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Glad it didn't just drop on you or your dad while you were under it.

Personally I'd have a long cathartic shout at the customer service dept at the stand manufacturer (and diy shed if you got them at one).

I took a look at those ones and decided that whatever the label said about their load carrying capacity plastic wasn't a material I'd trust for carrying that kind of weight.

spunky

posted on 22/5/06 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thats bad.

Were you within SWL of the tressles?

If so there needs to be serious repercussions on this, if you on your own under the chassis and they collapsed.....

Lucky escape and lesson learnt.

John

The reckless man may not live as long......
But the cautious man does not live at all.....

DarrenW

posted on 22/5/06 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
SWL doesnt apply when you move the load on top of them. 9/10 times you will get away with moving them around but............

Sounds like you were lucky. When i lowered my car or moved it i supported one end with block and tackle first to be safe.

I used the heavier duty plastic trestles when i built mine and they were fine (approx £20 each from B&Q at the time).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.