Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chain hoist?
David Jenkins

posted on 3/6/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Chain hoist?

Slightly off-topic, but may be relevant to car builders...

Following on from a previous topic, I needed a system for moving and storing a heavy model steam locomotive. I thought about a lifting table, but was worried about stability (plus the loco would be sitting on a valuable bit of kit for most of the time, so would have been the loss of an expensive asset).

What I've ended up with is a wooden box with castors, which is exactly the same height as my trailer. The loco will now live on this most of the time, but I can roll it out of the garage ready to shift the loco with no great effort. This cost me ~£20 plus a few coats of varnish from an old tin, which is a good result as far as I'm concerned.

I now have one remaining requirement, which is to lift the loco off the storage trolley and onto a workmate, for servicing. I have a good strong beam over the location, so I was thinking of getting a small chain hoist - 250kg with a lift of ~1 metre would be fine. This leaves a few questions:

1. Does anyone know a good place to buy such a hoist? I've seen the 500kg chain hoists in Machine Mart for around £50, but I was wondering if there's anywhere significantly cheaper?

2. I know that the type of hoist with an endless chain loop is easy to control and I will be able to lower the loco slowly and safely onto its trolley. The other type of hoist has a ratchet handle - lifting is not an issue, but can you lower stuff slowly and in a controlled manner with that type?

Cheers,
David

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 3/6/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
the one with the handle is controllable and is done by moving the handle back and forth.

If this is so heavy I worry that a work mate may be its downfall

fatfranky

posted on 3/6/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
If You can wait for the next time it comes on special offer you could get one of these from netto

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=58759

You could also keep an eye on aldi and lidl as they seem to have similar offers on different weeks

Hope this helps

Frank

David Jenkins

posted on 3/6/07 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
If this is so heavy I worry that a work mate may be its downfall

It's not so bad - it's around 100lb/50kg - well with the capability of a workmate. The trouble is that it's impossible for me to lift it on my own, and not easy for 2 people due to its shape and the sharp edges. Also there are bits that are vulnerable when it's lifted by inexperienced people.

Previously I used an engine hoist, but that's very inconvenient (although a safe way to lift).

David Jenkins

posted on 3/6/07 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fatfranky
If You can wait for the next time it comes on special offer you could get one of these from netto

Frank,

That's a bit OTT for my needs!

However, here's a question for 'wicket' - how did you get on with the chain hoist you bought? (LINKY)

[Edited on 3/6/07 by David Jenkins]

posted on 3/6/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David,

I used a ratshit pull lift when fitting my engine/gearbox.

I was sooooo impressed that when I saw one for sale at a show I bought one.

Never used it. Still in it's box.

You could borrow it on sort of "permanent loan" if you like.

The only proviso that I would make is that if my Lotus engine blows up I could have it back.
Now, how likely is that????

They do have a disadvantage. A minimum length of 700mm.

Atb

Paul G Rescued attachment Puller-002-s.jpg
Rescued attachment Puller-002-s.jpg

David Jenkins

posted on 3/6/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Paul,

That sounds like an ideal arrangement - I'll trundle over some time and 'long-term borrow' it, if that's OK.

Mind you, 700mm minimum might be an issue...

I'll U2U you soon, to book the visit!

cheers,
David

wicket

posted on 3/6/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
David

The Valley chain hoist is good value for money, it operates well although a bit slow, recommended

Eric

David Jenkins

posted on 3/6/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Not much bothered about operating speed - I wouldn't be using it too often, so I could put up with 5 minutes of chain pulling (sounds like a curry I once had! )

indykid

posted on 3/6/07 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
i've always found the wire rope hoists to be really awkward to work with.

i suppose it's fine if it's on a long term borrow, but if not, what about this

cheap enough and sounds to be near enough exactly what you want.

tom

David Jenkins

posted on 3/6/07 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
That does look very suitable...

Decisions... decisions...

posted on 3/6/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Up To you David. You won't offend me.

I must admit, that description's iffy. Capacity 1/2 ton. Tested to .25 ton.

Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 4/6/07 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry Paul, wasn't trying to be rude!

Unfortunately I worked out this morning that the minimum length of 700mm is too long for my setup - just been out with a tape measure and, by the time I've put a strop over the beam and 2 strops on the loco, I'll have about 600mm to fit in the hoist. Shame.

Many thanks for the kind offer though.

I've also worked out that the dubious mini chain hoist won't do either, as I may need more than 1 metre lift height.

Looks like it'll have to be some form of traditional chain hoist... trouble is, as I have said previously, Ipswich is an engineering desert - I went out shopping this morning, and got either "they're dealt with by our lifting gear department, who issue safety certificates with the kit" (expensive, as you can imagine) or "ur - what's a hoist, mate?".

Looks like it's time for a scout round the interwebby thing... that £20 2-tonne hoist is starting to look attractive.

cheers,
David

[Edited on 4/6/07 by David Jenkins]

owelly

posted on 4/6/07 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
You'll be struggling to get much that will fit in 600mm without going for a 'pull-lift' (ratchetty thing).
The alternative is to use a snatch block (pulley) on your beam and anchor the winch/pull lift else where. Hows about a cheap trailer type winch bolted to the wall?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 4/6/07 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wicket
David

The Valley chain hoist is good value for money, it operates well although a bit slow, recommended

Eric

Eric,

Just to be sure - what are the min & max lengths on that Valley hoist?

owelly,

I have seen some chain hoists that are 300mm min. - but far too expensive! I like the idea of a pulley, but then things start to get complicated (like where to fix the pulley, away from the beam). The trouble with a ratchet winch is letting the thing down gently - possible, but tricky maybe.

UPDATE: I've just found out - they're 300mm min to 2.5 metres max.

[Edited on 4/6/07 by David Jenkins]

iank

posted on 4/6/07 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a chain hoist from transtools on ebay. Arrived quickly and seems good quality, IIRC it was UK manufacturer.
It lifted an a-series with gearbox and most ancilliaries without breaking a sweat.

Remember to hook up a bucket for the chains to live in else you'll scratch the paintwork.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

David Jenkins

posted on 4/6/07 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Order placed, for a 1-ton chain hoist.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

David

David Jenkins

posted on 5/6/07 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Order received!

Amazing service from that ebay trader called 'transtools'. Ordered at 11:50 yesterday, received at 10:30 this morning. Loco hoisted off the bench at 11:00!

It's so much easier when you have the appropriate tools...

[Edited on 5/6/07 by David Jenkins]

owelly

posted on 5/6/07 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Lets have some piccies of the Loco then.......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 5/6/07 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Lets have some piccies of the Loco then.......

Here's one of a mate of mine driving it round the club track...

DarrenW

posted on 5/6/07 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Ref Workmates of the Black and Decker variety - i was Manufacturing Engineer and Production supervisor on the line that made them. They were destruction tested at far higher loads than printed on the vice boards.

The only issue loading them above safe rating is if the load shifts - they could then buckle. Line testing was done vertically and with the unit static. The first bit to fail was the legs.

iirc the bigger ones took over 250Kg to collapse but dont quote me on that. Of course these were brand new units and not old abused ones.

A mate of mine got one to fail with a jensen engine on the top of a really old Wormate when he tried to pull it. Not surprising though i guess!

David Jenkins

posted on 5/6/07 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
My crossflow and gearbox sat on my workmate for a time, while I was preparing it for insertion into the chassis. The only 'backup' was my engine hoist, which was hooked up but with the chains slackened a bit (i.e. not taking any load).

I have a lot of confidence in them - as long as I don't try to drag it anywhere, as the fold-out leg-extensions immediately fold under!

[Edited on 5/6/07 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.