Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Project Locost Trailer
Guinness

posted on 26/11/07 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Project Locost Trailer

I have "inherited" a caravan chassis from Jambojeef with the intention of turning it from it's current state of lovelyness into a trailer for the Indy.

The plan, as it stands so far, is to rip the plywood bed off and install a couple of steel channels. I thought about using ally, but ruled it out on the basis of cost and the fact that the rest of the chassis will be mild steel with a coating of hammerite!

I have sketched up a couple of ramps / channels that I think I need. Can anyone who is familiar with specifiying metalwork check that I haven't made any glaring errors on my drawing (before I send it out for quotes).
[img][/img]

Thanks

Mike

Danozeman

posted on 26/11/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
I did a similar thing.

I welded some angle the full length with some extra corss pieces and used exterior ply for the beds... I made some 6ft ramps from angle which are a touch heavy but i know theyr not gonna collapse.

You will need long ramps and/or tilt the trailer quite a way to get a locost on it beacause of the height of the actual bed.. You need to try and make it so you can put your car on it with the trailer still attached to the tow car. Ill take some piccies later of mine.

Your plans look good but i wouldnt make the bits 100mm high. Mines made from 40x40 anlge and the lip with 18mm ply on is enough to stop it sliding off.

Have you had quotes for the stuff?? That tread plate isnt cheap stuff and is quite heavy.

Piccies

trailer
trailer

Trailer2
Trailer2

Trailer3
Trailer3

Trailer4
Trailer4

Its not totally finished yet. Tows very well. I used water based wood treatment for it isnt ideal for plywood hence its peeled a bit. Needed varnish type really. I towed it at 90 on a private dual carridge way in the rain a few months ago, didnt know it was there.

Iv got some piccies with me car on it somewhere. Ill be buggered if i can find them.

[Edited on 26/11/07 by Danozeman]

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

tks

posted on 26/11/07 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, your ramps are short,

do maths and take into account that your chasis could stuck on the sidewall of the U channel if the frontwheels are 1mtr in the profile.

tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Guinness

posted on 26/11/07 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dan

That's brilliant inspiration. Much better solution!

I'll check dims for ramps later TKS.

Thanks

Mike

zilspeed

posted on 26/11/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
That's pretty much my trailer too.

Danozeman

posted on 26/11/07 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
This is Paulf's aswell. Hope he doesnt mind me nicking the piccie. Used to be a caravan aswell.

trailer
trailer

Dan

pjavon

posted on 26/11/07 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Mines very similar to dans, but i chose to weld lugs onto the trailer and hinge the ramps, either way works fine it's just another idea. I also used angle on the ramps and trailer for more grip in the wet. But this does make a lot more work and if your trailer is not to steep it may not be to much of a problem for you.
Paul

TRAILER
TRAILER

Always keep a big hammer and a condom in your toolbox, if you can't fix it with the hammer

Avoneer

posted on 26/11/07 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - wider longer ramps.

You really need to minimise the angle between the deck and ramp when loading and unloding - speaking from experience with a battle scar on each side of my nice ali side panels.

Pat..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 27/11/07 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Dont know if your car is the same but the rear is slightly wider than the front on mine so i had to allow for this on the ramps and bed.

Dan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.