Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bought a lathe!
thomas4age

posted on 16/1/08 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Bought a lathe!

Hee all

I've bought a slightly used lathe of the HBM make (dutch) will post piccie tommorow if the camera don't let me down again.

thing is I've never worked on one of these before, (well not by myself anyway)
Are there any online tutorials on the basics of metal turning and spinning?

Grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

BenB

posted on 16/1/08 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
They're not free but these are popular

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_Workshop_Practice_Series_185.html

r1_pete

posted on 16/1/08 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
There is a small book 'The Amateurs Lathe' only about a tenner but a very worthwhile read. Most examples are around model making, but the techniques etc. are applicable to any turning activities.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-AMATEURS-LATHE-BOOK-MYFORD-BOXFORD-COLCHESTER-LATHE_W0QQitemZ160197219060QQihZ006QQcategoryZ11437QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
UncleFista

posted on 16/1/08 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
This any help ?

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

owelly

posted on 16/1/08 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've bought a lathe too!!!!

Mine may be a bit big. It has a 48" bed (working length) and is a gap bed with a 20" swing. Perhaps I'll sell it and get a smaller one....!!!??

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 16/1/08 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just be carefull and sensible with it, they can bite you BIG TIME.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

charlierevell

posted on 16/1/08 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Dont leave the key in the jaw chuck.... when it leaves it hurts!
Many people learnt that one at uni!

Tango orange is an 'IN' colour!!

blueshift

posted on 17/1/08 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I got The Amateur's Lathe, highly reccomend it. I just started turning recently.

Fortunately for me I had a pro on hand to advise me.. "should it be making that sound" etc.

thomas4age

posted on 18/1/08 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx for all the advise!

the website is very usefull, also I asked around if there's someone who can give me an evening of learning to do some parts, I can do outside and facing pretty well after an evening trying, but things like turning thread and inside boring with a boringbar etc etc..... no idea what to do.

Anyway it's far more complete than I thought, the guy I bought it off had all sorts of stuff with it 3jaw 4jaw range of gears, boring head for the tailstock with HSS center drill, spinning center etc etc etc. There's also some sort of key with it which I do not know the function of, see piccie..... somebody in the know?

I can't leave th key in the chuck because when it is I can't start the thing, also there's a sliding collor on the key that makes it drop out of the hole as soon as you take your hands of it, very clever for someone like me.....

Now I did something very brave yesterday. I took a cabinet out of our guest bedroom and rebuild it with big frame to put the lathe on, the cabinet belongs to SWMBO, and she didn't notice last night when I showed her my new toy..... that is just a matter of time she will find out, so if i go missing...... well you get the idea.

anyway here it is (thought the engine hoist would come in handy one day for something not engine...)

HBM 250/40 Lathe
HBM 250/40 Lathe

the unknown tool, it's quite small. but what is it?
unknown lathe tool
unknown lathe tool

Grtz Thomas

[Edited on 18/1/08 by thomas4age]

NS Dev

posted on 18/1/08 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
its a c spanner, often used to hold the lathe spindle still while fitting the chuck.

might not be on that one but is often the case

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

thomas4age

posted on 18/1/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I sorta figured that, but I can't find a place to put it, it's smallish for that application.

grtz Thomas

NS Dev

posted on 18/1/08 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
mmm, odd one then. Thought you might say that! No idea then.......

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

David Jenkins

posted on 18/1/08 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
On my Colchester Student lathe I have a HUGE one of those to undo the collar behind the chuck. I have to put the lathe in its lowest gear, then bump the collar undo in the opposite direction to normal rotation. Once this has been undone the chuck is just sitting on the tapered nose of the mandrel, ready to remove (in other words, ready to fall off and crush my fingers).

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/1/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
do you have a collet chuck? thats what i use one for

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

thomas4age

posted on 18/1/08 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
maybe just maybe, it's a tool that doesn't belong to this machine, but hard to think that cause the HBM make is cast into the tool, and the guy I bought it off didn;t have any other machinery standing around...

@liam, is this a collet chuck? I have a boring head but it's the self tightning type, will check if the spanner fit's that

anyway unless do a job that needs this thing I'll probably be OK,

I will get some alloy bar stock tommorow and try to turn a spacer to get the alternator lined up with the pulleys on the twin supercharged v8. that will be my firts purpose made "turnsel"
can wait to c**k up the first meter of bar.....

grtz Thomas

David Jenkins

posted on 18/1/08 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Here's my C-spanner - I put it against the wheel to get a sense of scale!

Nice lathe BTW - perfect for a beginner, while being big enough to do useful stuff. Rescued attachment 00001.jpg
Rescued attachment 00001.jpg

thomas4age

posted on 18/1/08 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Nah the spanner in my picture is about 15cm long,

I'm getting thought that it is indeed for tightning of the boring head, but I haven't used that yet, so am not 100% sure.
the tailstock has an MT2 cone btw, How can I get the live center, that is in right now, out? to fit the boring head.

Grtz Thomas

David Jenkins

posted on 18/1/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Get a piece of metal rod a bit smaller than the hole down the centre of the tailstock. Use this down the right-hand end of the tailstock to tap the back of the centre's taper - start gently and increase the amount of tap until it comes loose (this is the normal way on small lathes.)

The bigger lathes eject them automatically if you wind back the mandrel fully - but I doubt if yours will have that feature.

[Edited on 18/1/08 by David Jenkins]

thomas4age

posted on 18/1/08 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Ah let's try that.

off having a few beers for now, which doesn't strike me a as a good combination, learning to run a lathe and drinking beer...

grtz Thomas

David Jenkins

posted on 18/1/08 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly not!

Lathes can bite hard if you're not paying attention...

thomas4age

posted on 19/1/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Found it,

It's a spanner to get the locknuts from the main axle loose in the back of the gearhousing , that's why it seems to have never been used.

@David: the tail stock does releases itself automaticly when the MT2 spindle/mandrel is fully turned back.

that raises a question, when to use which center, ie Live of fixed? and do I always need to centerdrill the workpiece when using the tailstock center?

anyway tried some shopping today but need to wait till monday when some better toolshops are open.

did however get the powerfeed up and running slow enough to make very nice repeatable cuts, 0.5mm deep.
I assume that when there's a steady serpentine shape string of alloy coming from the tool-bit and the sound is only hissing, I'm doing good. from the book I understand that I can engage powerfeed without stopping the lathe, and it seems to be working like that, but read that it's not wise to do.... so what's-it then?

grtz Thomas

[Edited on 19/1/08 by thomas4age]

[Edited on 19/1/08 by thomas4age]

David Jenkins

posted on 20/1/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thomas4age
that raises a question, when to use which center, ie Live of fixed? and do I always need to centerdrill the workpiece when using the tailstock center?

Terminology problem there I think!

A live centre is one that is fitted to the headstock instead of the chuck - it's turning, so it's live. A fixed centre goes in the tailstock, it's not turning. There are rotating centres that are used in the tailstock, and they are the best for most work as you don't need to lubricate the end of the work, as you do with a fixed centre. Their only down-side is that they're quite fat and can stop you getting the tool close into the work - if that happens you may find the fixed centre smaller, or even a cut-away one to get right in.

You will need to centre-drill the end if you're using a centre.

Working between centres is a bit odd as there's no chuck - you use a drive plate instead of the chuck, together with a 'dog' that's fastened to the workpiece and which is driven by a peg on the drive plate. The big advantage is that it can be very accurate, and the work can be taken off the lathe and replaced without losing accuracy (which can't be said about chucks).

quote:

From the book I understand that I can engage powerfeed without stopping the lathe, and it seems to be working like that, but read that it's not wise to do.... so what's-it then?

You can engage and disengage the power feed while it's running (this is normal) but you shouldn't
adjust the feed rate unless the lathe is stopped.

HTH

Gav

posted on 20/1/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thats exactly the same model i have, except its imported by Chester here in the UK, its been brilliant for doing all he jobs ive needed to while making the car, the only problem i would warn you about is that if you fully wind out the tailstock the key in the inside will drop out, it took me ages to realise why it wouldnt go back in, had to strip the it down and hold it in from the other end while i pushed it back in from the other end.

NS Dev

posted on 20/1/08 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Here's my C-spanner - I put it against the wheel to get a sense of scale!

Nice lathe BTW - perfect for a beginner, while being big enough to do useful stuff.

I don't have one of those for my Master! I use a thunking great drift and a hammer!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.