Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CO2 bottle regulator/fitting
garyo

posted on 15/7/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
CO2 bottle regulator/fitting

I have two bottle fittings for my MIG - neither are suitable for my new bottle. Should I buy an adaptor for one of the existing regulator, or get a new one? Any recommendations?

These are my fittings:

fitting2
fitting2

fitting3
fitting3

And this is the bottle:

cylinder
cylinder

Cheers

Gary

bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 15/7/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Is your source one that is likely to continue? I get mine from a beer rep mate, pure CO2 but it does for me.
That bottle looks the same as mine to me so if I were you I would get a regulator that fits the bottle as that fitting is very common (but keep the other two in case).

The regulations for having gas bottles or hiring them etc is verging on the ridiculous now so if you have a good source, stick with it!

Hpoe that makes sense!

garyo

posted on 15/7/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
no regular source unfortunately, but I'm not a very frequent user so I expect this one will last me two or three years.

The chap I bought it off said something about the pub gas companies introducing nitrogen into the mix to make things more difficult for people like us...???

Gary

wilkingj

posted on 16/7/08 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Take the regulator to the nearest welding suppliers they will have a pipe with the correct threads / fittings on each end.

Your argument is that its the ONLY gas bottle you have. and will (or already have) labelled the regulator as CO2.

I did this with my Argon Reg, Just a nice Dymo Label will do.

Make sure the Max pressure on the gauge is suitable.
However should be OK as the Max Bar in a CO2 bottle is only about 60Bar, as opposed to 250 Bar on an Argon bottle.
Its OK to use a higher rated gauge on a lower pressure gas but not safe the other way round.
ie DONT use a CO2 regulator on a bottle of argon etc.

This is one of the main reasons they dont like you changing the fittings on regulators.
Unless you KNOW what you are doing, as it can be dangerous and could result in a / your death!
If you are NOT 100% sure, then buy the correct item for the job. Its not worth the risk of an exploding regulator. Shrapnel hurts

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bitsilly
Contributor

Posts 726
Registered 9/6/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Flexibility into my marriage, bless her!

posted on 16/7/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ifyou only do occasional welding, Halfords sell disposable bottles of welding gas and stock the fittings etc.
Legal and safe but expensive.
Didn't know about beer companies changing the mix, gits, they get paid for each fill anyway!
Good luck.

garyo

posted on 17/7/08 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
I used to use the halfords ones - too expensive and they don't seem to last very long.

This looks like the kind of thing I need : http://cgi. ebay.co.uk/BOC-gas-regulator-welding_W0QQitemZ250270344441QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250270344441&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Edited to say - but obviously the advert doesn't state the gas and max PSI it's suitable for. My bottle is filled and around 50 PSI

[Edited on 17/7/08 by garyo]

Peteff

posted on 17/7/08 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyoThe chap I bought it off said something about the pub gas companies introducing nitrogen into the mix to make things more difficult for people like us...???
Gary

They put nitrogen in to make the bubbles smaller in the horrible beers like John Smith Smooth, nothing to do with making it awkward for welders. Soft drink and fire extinguisher places use pure CO2.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.