Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: why should a dvd drive run slooooowly
andrew-theasby

posted on 23/2/09 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
why should a dvd drive run slooooowly

Im just installing some software onto my new dell PC, and i noticed the other day when i was putting the printer software on that when it came to taking the info off the disc, it took ages, which i thought strange for a new comp. Ive come to put a much bigger programme on tonight, and when i put the dics in it asks me what i want to do with it, but says "searching for content" with a green bar across the top of the box. This never seems to complete no matter how long ive left it, so i click on explore files which brings up a blank screen then eventually the 5 folders on the disc appear again with a green bar progressing across the address bar(?name?) at the top. I havent yet got one of the folders open, it just goes into not responding mode after a while when you double click on them. What could be causing this and any ideas how i can fix it to install the software. Ive tried it in both drives on this pc, yet on 2 other pc's ive tried it on it opens up perfectly, so i guess its not the disc?? Can anybody help please?
MakeEverything

posted on 23/2/09 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
nackered Drive or low on RAM i reckon.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

andrew-theasby

posted on 23/2/09 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Its 4gb ram and does it on both drives. You cant use up the RAM can you?? It must have loads more than the old one, thats why i bought it Can i check the drives somehow?
Hellfire

posted on 24/2/09 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
You cant permanently use up the RAM but you can fill the RAM as it uses it for applications.

As it's a new machine Windows Vista may be stealing much of that RAM so forcing it to slow down. It may also be loaded with so much JUNK (yes I know - it's a new PC) but the fact is they are so full of sh*t these days that it may already be performing well below it's best.

Try to delete any programs you are not using / or will use - stop them running in the background etc

If it's a HP - it will be loaded with crap that you will probably never use - take it to someone who knows about stuff like this and ask them to delete the bloatware...

If you live closeby - I'll do it for you...

Steve

EDIT: you dont live too far away - if you need help just U2U me.

[Edited on 24-2-09 by Hellfire]

Jubal

posted on 24/2/09 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Have you checked to see if the drives are correctly configured in the bios? If they are then ring Dell and ask them why it's so slow? You paid for the support when you bought it and it may be a hardware issue.

I can't see that a new PC would have so much stuff bogging it down that a CD cannot be opened reliably so I'd not bother with trying to remove any bloatware until you know you aren't going to be sending it back.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/2/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
This is nearly always down to the driver running in PIO mode rather than DMA. Check the settings of the appropriate IDE channel in Windows Device Mangler, sorry Manager.
Hellfire

posted on 24/2/09 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Surely as a new PC - shouldn't this be set at the factory to suit the PC Drives?

*My error forgot that you had previously said it's a DELL - still full of CR*P though...

Keep us informed....

Steve

MakeEverything

posted on 24/2/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
This is nearly always down to the driver running in PIO mode rather than DMA. Check the settings of the appropriate IDE channel in Windows Device Mangler, sorry Manager.

But as a new computer, id find this unacceptable, and send it back. Either way, Jubal is speaking some sense. You can still take off all of the shit software, and be within warranty. Its only when you adjust BIOS settings and hardware that invalidates the waranty.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

andrew-theasby

posted on 24/2/09 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately i dont know how to do any of the above (apart from knowing where devic manager is) could you possibly give me some pointers, doesnt have to be completely step by step, just dumbed down a bit Im away from home now until friday so ill try everything then. Thanks. Just onee thing ive remembered, mcafee was already on it but its run out now, can i remove this and use avg or similar instead?
andrew-theasby

posted on 24/2/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
oh and thanks for the offer steve, ill let you know if it comes to that.
andrew-theasby

posted on 27/2/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Well if ive checked it right, DMA is enabled on both channels of the drives, does that mean anything anyone??
MikeRJ

posted on 28/2/09 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Should look something like this (I guess you have Vista so may be slight differences). The important bit is the "Current Transfer Mode". Make sure you are selecting the correct IDE channel for your drive.

XP DMA information
XP DMA information

[Edited on 28/2/09 by MikeRJ]

andrew-theasby

posted on 28/2/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
This is how i found it Rescued attachment screen 1.jpg
Rescued attachment screen 1.jpg

andrew-theasby

posted on 28/2/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
. Rescued attachment screen2.jpg
Rescued attachment screen2.jpg

andrew-theasby

posted on 28/2/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
. Rescued attachment screen3.jpg
Rescued attachment screen3.jpg

andrew-theasby

posted on 28/2/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
but there seems to be 2x channel 0's and 2x channel 1's under the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers heading, could that have anything to do with it or is that normal. You can just see what i mean in the background. I spent an hour on the phone with Dell tech help yesterday, and she was working the computer remotely, think she put a new driver on, but its still no better, she said i needed to speak to the software department, but suprise suprise, therd be a charge. Rescued attachment screen 4.jpg
Rescued attachment screen 4.jpg

Ninehigh

posted on 4/3/09 at 04:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jubal
Have you checked to see if the drives are correctly configured in the bios? If they are then ring Dell and ask them why it's so slow? You paid for the support when you bought it and it may be a hardware issue.

Ring Dell? Good luck. I broke my mum's one a few years ago, they were all on holiday so I got it sent away to them and after a week I rang up to find out when it was coming back...

Me: Just wondering when the computer's coming back?
Customer "service": Yes. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Me: Well when am I going to get it back?
C: Yes. Is there anything else I can help you with?
Me: No just need an answer to the question I'm asking
C: Yes, is there anything else I can help you with?
Me: Can I speak to your manager?
C: Yes. Is there anything else I can help you with?

This went on for about another 30 seconds before she actually put me through...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.