Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The nursery version of XP
Mark Allanson

posted on 11/5/04 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
The nursery version of XP

We have a new computer system at work and it runs XP (I have 2KP at home and I am happy with it).

It is set up for kids! Little dogs running around the screen, magicians and lots of fading in and out. I have managed to get rid of the crap, but my main problem now is the default printer. It will not stay on the printer that I select, if I use another, that is automatically set as default. I end up printing stuff all over the place.

Is there a way of locking the default onto the printer that I want?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

timf

posted on 11/5/04 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
arghh windows XP

known in the industry as

windows Xpect Problems

personaly wouldn't touch it get a decent stable system installed like nt4 or win2000 with all patches applied.

simonH

posted on 11/5/04 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
to set default printer right click on the printer you want as default and click set as default. some apps remember the last printer you used and some apps remember the printer you used on each document so if you just hitting the print button could be a problem. but that is due to the application not XP

sorry can't agree about XP is far more stable than NT4 or 2000, but only if used correctly. if you try to use unsuitable harware or software you will get problems

ned

posted on 11/5/04 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
When you set the printer, log on as administrator or make sure the account the kids are using/printer needs setting on has admin privelages (not a good idea!)

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 12/5/04 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
The original taster of the Xp interface "Bob" was designed for kids -- MS actually sold it as an addon for Win95/98 -- I had a copy somewhere -- it was cutsey with an annimated dog but totally unusuable.

Can't agree about XP being stable the system restore feature is both an advantage and a curse. Everytime I have to sort out an XP machine for a client I visit 100,curses on Bill Gates. At home we are a mixture of NT4, Mandrake, Knnopix and one lone Win 98se for the stuff that no NT drivers exist for. The NT and Linux systems are mega stable..

Of course the fact we don't use Outlook Express, Internet Explorer, Media Player use mail washing and sit behind 3 layers of firewalling helps.

[Edited on 12/5/04 by britishtrident]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.