Author: Subject: Unusual Oil Cooler Design
TimC

posted on 23/11/09 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Unusual Oil Cooler Design

What do people think of this?:

blakep82

posted on 23/11/09 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
no reason why not
looks alright, but i don't think it would cool as well as the usual type because of the smaller surface area

edited: i mean because of only having one row through it, there's a lot of surface area on those fins

[Edited on 23/11/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

procomp

posted on 23/11/09 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Would work if in high airflow. But as usual i would be more worried about how quick i could warm the oil rather than how to cool it .

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/11/09 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
not very good if the air flow was from the side, probably work quite well on the bottom of a boat hull

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 23/11/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

Would work if in high airflow. But as usual i would be more worried about how quick i could warm the oil rather than how to cool it .

Cheers Matt

Go on...

blakep82

posted on 23/11/09 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
^ think what he means is (not being any kind of expert myself) is that oil coolers probably aren't really needed most of the time
you can cool the oil, but if the if the engine's not heating it as fast as the cooler's cooling it, then its not doing any good at all

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 23/11/09 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi

Cheers Matt

That'll depend on the engine, and driving style. Normally, in an oil-cooler set-up, you'd include a thermostat, so the oil will warm just as fast/slow as before.
Wether or not you NEED an oil cooler will depend on your setup.
Me being a rotary-engine guy, I can't have the car running without: it'd overheat right away. Oil-coolers are essential there. On piston engines it'll really just depend on what you plan to use the car for.

TimC

posted on 23/11/09 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
So what Matt is saying is do all the other good stuff too, like:
1. Use a good radiator (Check.)
2. Get Hot air out of the engine bay quickly (Check.)
?

britishtrident

posted on 23/11/09 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
No different from the old "loo bush" oil cooler you used to see on production cars.

Nothing like as effective a heat exchanger as the conventional type but much less flow restriction, should be ideal for UK climate.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

02GF74

posted on 23/11/09 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
that looks to be expensive and IMO not very effective, unless mounted end-on in air flow, and then depending on the length and temperature, the rear will receive hotter air.

military land rovers had such a design - a tube but with coiled wire round them instead of the extruded fins so would be ok as the air can flow through the "fins" mounted sideways to the flow.

it looks nice though.

Don't waste you money on that - there is a reason why car radiators and oil coolers (apart from the water -> oil coolers) are the way they are, just use it for making Tagliatelle.

[Edited on 23/11/09 by 02GF74]

thunderace

posted on 23/11/09 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
i have this type

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOLIATEC-BLUE-ANODISED-ALUMINIUM-OIL-FILTER-COOLER-86mm_W0QQitemZ310183341649QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_S M?hash=item48385e2e51

dinosaurjuice

posted on 23/11/09 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
the best oil coolers in my opinion are the oil2water heat exchangers. theres no logical reason why the oil should be less than 100degrees. dont usually need to bother with a thermostat, so long as the exchanger is placed in the interior heater water circuit.
Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 23/11/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dinosaurjuice
the best oil coolers in my opinion are the oil2water heat exchangers. theres no logical reason why the oil should be less than 100degrees. dont usually need to bother with a thermostat, so long as the exchanger is placed in the interior heater water circuit.

Don't know about ordinary piston engines, but oil-to-water was used on 84-85 rotary engines by Mazda, and quickly tossed again, for not being half as good as oil-to-air.
For my engine, I'll keep using oil-to-air coolers. I don't really know the ideal temp. for oil in a piston engine, though. But 100°C seems pretty hot?

britishtrident

posted on 23/11/09 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Biggest advantage is that type it both cools the oil and warms up when it is too cold, which it is more often than it is too hot.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 23/11/09 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bart Vangampelaere
quote:

Don't know about ordinary piston engines, but oil-to-water was used on 84-85 rotary engines by Mazda, and quickly tossed again, for not being half as good as oil-to-air.
For my engine, I'll keep using oil-to-air coolers. I don't really know the ideal temp. for oil in a piston engine, though. But 100°C seems pretty hot?

100c is fine, high enough to get rid of water and acid condensation in the oil, as a guide ideal oil temp is 10 to 15c c hotter than water thermostat opening temperature.

[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 23/11/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thunderace
i have this type

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FOLIATEC-BLUE-ANODISED-ALUMINIUM-OIL-FILTER-COOLER-86mm_W0QQitemZ310183341649QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_S M?hash=item48385e2e51

Probably very at increasing the oil temperature by a few degrees or so.
The contact between the oil filter cartridge and the aluminium sleeve will never be good enough for proper heat transfer. I am Pretty sure you will get more heat transfer from oil to air if the oil filter cartridge is just left in exposed the airflow.

[/I]

procomp

posted on 24/11/09 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Tim

I thought You knew that i only ever use the water 2 oil coolers. There's more damage done to race engines by not having the oil up to temp before racing starts than at any other time. Water brings the oil temp up much quicker and then holds it at acceptable temps during the race. All assuming of course that the water system is in good working order. You have seen the ones i have made.

The small version of our oil/water heat exchanger. Suitable for 200bhp. Larger sizes for larger bhp applications. Available with either straight or 90 deg ends. 1/2
The small version of our oil/water heat exchanger. Suitable for 200bhp. Larger sizes for larger bhp applications. Available with either straight or 90 deg ends. 1/2" BSP oil fittings.

Cheers Matt

02GF74

posted on 25/11/09 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ is that a home made job?

I wonder how difficult it would be to make one using domestic heating pipe and fittings?

10 mm pipe inside a larger diamter pipe- reduscers sodlers on each end to keep sealed and a couple of T pieces to allow the water in out?

anyone following this?

a faction of the cost of a Lamnova (sp?), albeit nowwhere near as good heat tansfer due to no finning but may work?

stuff the space between the tubeswith stainless steel wool or that stuff pan scoureres are made of?

procomp

posted on 25/11/09 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

There's a little bit more to them than that. But at the price it wouldent even be worth trying to home make one.

Cheers Matt

alistairolsen

posted on 25/11/09 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
How much are we talking?

My Build Thread

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.