Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric guitar set up tips
mr henderson

posted on 25/11/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Electric guitar set up tips

I expect most of you will already know this, but for those that don't-

If you are adjusting the intonation, it's always best to start with a new set of strings, and while the strings are off, wind the bridge pieces back towards the tailpiece. There's 2 reasons for that, first, it's always easier to wind the bridge pieces forwards when the strings are back on that it is to wind them back, and second is that when the strings are tightened, they can get a slight kink where they rest on the bridge, and that can affect the intonation. If the bridge is already back as far as it will go, then that kink will be the otherside of the bridgepiece when it moves torwards the neck, and so won't matter.

Apologies to the guys that already knew that, just one of those little tips that makes life easier.

mr henderson

posted on 25/11/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Checking pickup phasing

Don't throw away your old analogue meter, if you've got one

When getting ready to install a new pickup to be used in conjunction with another pickup from a different maker, you can check the phase of each pickup by connecting the meter across the output and putting it on a sensitive dc volts scale.

Then, put a piece on metal on the pickup, and sharply pull it off. Looks to see which way the needle moves. Then check the other pickup and if the needle moves in the same direction, you'll know it's in phase. If not you will need to reverse the wires on one of them.

Liam

posted on 25/11/09 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
And don't forget to turn up to 11 when finished.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Johneturbo

posted on 25/11/09 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
And don't forget to turn up to 11 when finished.

Can't you just make 10 louder.

RK

posted on 25/11/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
No you need 11 or it doesn't work
mr henderson

posted on 25/11/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Does your truss rod need adjusting?

If you're not sure, try this simple tes-t hold the 3rd string down at the first fret, and the top fret. If you can see a slight gap between it and the frets halfway along then that's right. The gap should be big enough to see, but no more.

If you're not sure there is a gap, try picking the string between the two fretted positions. It should sound cleanly, but make sure it's not resting on one of the frets in between by moving the fretting fingers one fret and making sure the note changes.

If you have to back the trussrod off, give it a little while to settle before you check again. If you have to tighten it, try to bend the neck forward a bit to take the strain off the trussrod nut, sometimes they stick and the trussrod can break (fairly common on Fenders at one time)

02GF74

posted on 25/11/09 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
have you won a Gibson SG on ebay?

mr henderson

posted on 25/11/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

?

02GF74

posted on 25/11/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
quote:

?

I assumed that you have come into possession of a guitar hence posting tuning tips.

Brian James of the Damned had one.

[Edited on 25/11/09 by 02GF74]

mr henderson

posted on 25/11/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

?

I assumed that you have come into possession of a guitar hence posting tuning tips.

Actually set up tips, I'll leave the tuning to the players.

The guitar thread yesterday showed that a lot of people here played, so as I spent a few years as a guitar repairer/technician I thought I'd post up a few tips. But if it's not going down too well, perhaps I should delete the thread?

[Edited on 25/11/09 by mr henderson]

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 25/11/09 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I need a hand with a neck replacement ........its a les paul copy that the young one dropped after three days of ownership knocking the top off
ive got a replacement neck but need to make a jig for the router to clean the socket out square. Haven't got round to it but its all complete

mr henderson

posted on 26/11/09 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop
I need a hand with a neck replacement ........its a les paul copy that the young one dropped after three days of ownership knocking the top off
ive got a replacement neck but need to make a jig for the router to clean the socket out square. Haven't got round to it but its all complete

My inclination with a job like that would be to clean the socket out with a sharp chisel, not worrying too much about creating gaps, and trying the neck from time to time until it fitted, lined up with the bridge properly and at the correct angle so that the strings didn't end up either too high or too low across the bridge.

Then I would glue it in with Araldite (not the rapid) which I would heat with a hairdryer until all the bubbles came out (goes transparent) and its consistency was freer, then glue it in and clamp it and leave it for 12 hours or so. Any squeeze out I would remove with acetone before it set, or trim with a sharp blade while it was cheesy (couple of hours).

I always used araldite for that sort of thing (unless it was a vintage instrument) because it is strong and it fills gaps. Good for broken headstocks as well, because the fibres rip apart and by the time they are removed so the head fits properly, there are always gaps

02GF74

posted on 26/11/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I spent a few years as a guitar repairer/technician I thought I'd post up a few tips. But if it's not going down too well, perhaps I should delete the thread?

no objections at all. good tips and common sense once you know about it.

mr henderson

posted on 27/11/09 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
I thought I would get more feedback (even if only negative ) form this.

Would anyone like to know about a quick, easy and accurate way to do a fret dress?

rgdavid

posted on 27/11/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
yes please,

& i like your phrase of wanting more "feedback"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.