Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car Stacker/Lifts
andywilson

posted on 29/4/24 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Car Stacker/Lifts

Hi all,

I'm losing my rental garage so i'm going to have three cars to store at home, two of these i'd like to keep indoors, the other is my daily which occupies the only drive space outside.
As far as i can see the most cost effective option is a 2 or 4 post lift and stack two cars in the garage. The two cars i'm planning to stack are just summer toys so doesn't matter if they're a bit of a faff to get in or out.
I don't have any spare room on the drive for another car/enclosure/shed.

I'm limited to space as it's just a single garage (approx 2.45m x 6m), i cant find any 2 or 4 post lifts that would fit.

Does anyone know of anything that may be suitable, or even better have one for sale?!
Or am i coming from this at the wrong angle, is there something else i could be using to stack/store these cars?
Last resort is finding another garage to rent, but i'd rather put money into a lift/stacker than rent, and have my cars at home.

Thanks,
Andy

jacko

posted on 29/4/24 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
How high is the garage?
My son stacks cars like you want to it’s a two post lift if that helps

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 29/4/24 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
You must have some height in your garage if you've got space for 2/4 post car lift?

No other garage rental options in the area?

Rod Ends

posted on 29/4/24 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
In a recent PPC youtube video about the spitfire V12-engined Rover SD1 there is a car lift made from a forklift embedded in the floor.

In action at about 12 minutes:

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/4/24 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
A single post lift?
https://automotechservices.co.uk/product-category/single-post-vehicle-lifts/

Partofthechaos

posted on 29/4/24 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Could you mKe your own? A post in each corner, 2 ramps on a frame, winch at each end. No idea how much it would cost and would need to be inventive to keep it safe on the way up, but once in place it could bolted to the uprights so it wouldn't go anywhere.
adampage

posted on 30/4/24 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
What about something like this.....

I remember this ad coming up, i was quite tempted myself....

This (or something similar) might fit quite low profile against the wall.

https://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=220215

Otherwise, good luck!

andywilson

posted on 30/4/24 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
thanks all for the replies

i did see the ad for the manual lift for sale on here, knowing what i know now i wish i'd bought it!

I think my best bet is a single post car lift, that looks just the job assuming i can leave a car suspended on it using some mechanical lock instead of just the hydraulics... i'll seek advise from the manufacturer.
I'm pleased i posted this, i didn't know a single post lift was a thing!

Thanks again,
Andy

andywilson

i did see the ad for the manual lift for sale on here, knowing what i know now i wish i'd bought it!

I think my best bet is a single post car lift, that looks just the job assuming i can leave a car suspended on it using some mechanical lock instead of just the hydraulics... i'll seek advise from the manufacturer.

Thanks again,
Andy

andywilson

Thanks again,
Andy

nick205

posted on 30/4/24 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Don't hydraulic lifts have mechanical lock outs as safety features to hold the vehicle up if you're working below it?

I'd imagine for commercial operators (garages, tyre fitters etc) they have to be inspected and pass tests for insurance.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.