Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wide rear arches
andyd

posted on 18/7/03 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Wide rear arches

Just swapped original sized rear arches for wide version from Luego and the wide ones are still too thin!

Using a Cortina axle and 7" rims with 205 tyres on and I need another 1" - 1.25".

Does anyone know of a supplier of wider wide rear arches? I need something in the region of 12.5" - 13".

If I had any GRP talent I'd probably be able to chop these ones down the middle and put an extra bit in but I've never touched any fibre glassing and I'm too scared to start now.

Anyone else using a Cortina axle with fairly wide rubber? If so what have you done to get over the problem of inadequate width?

Andy

Jasper

posted on 18/7/03 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Inadequate width - never been accused of it!

I'm using Cortina axle with 195's (though 205's would still just fit) and they fit perfectly in Triton wide arches, though I'm using Sierra offset alloys (ET38) which bring them in.

I seem to remember you're using different (Cortina?) offsets, in which case you've got a problem as you already know!

Sorry - I've been no help at all .........

macspeedy

posted on 18/7/03 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Dax arches are big, stu16v has them fitted, he should have pics soon i hope!
Stu16v

posted on 18/7/03 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Loan of Digi camera this weekend hopefully (or a scanner).......

The only trouble with Dax arches is that you will still need to get the fiberglass stuff out to make new mounting flanges as the Dax tapers away at the back, as opposed to being parallel like the Locost design.
But they are f**kin wide (see avatar....)

Dont just build it.....make it!

andyd

posted on 18/7/03 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
I seem to remember you're using different (Cortina?) offsets, in which case you've got a problem as you already know!

Yup, ET19, and yup it's a problem.

I've look at Triton/GTS Tuning and they quote 11.5" (292mm). Luego's are quoted as 280mm so in thoery the Triton ones are 12mm wider i.e. 0.5" which may still not be enough. It all depends on where they are measured too as if I measure the Luego ones from the flat (inside) to the outer edge (from underneath the arch) they are about 290mm anyway.

Jasper, any chance you could give me a measurement on the Triton ones just in case they are enough? Am I right in saying that as long as the treaded part of the tyre is covered then Mr SVA won't have a problem with that?

Stu, how "f**kin" wide is wide?

[Edited on 18/7/2003 by andyd]

Andy

Stu16v

posted on 18/7/03 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Wide....

I have Et 15 wheels with 20mm spacers.

The chassis is +4 inches.

Wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face across rear axle is standard Sierra width.

And the wheels still look lost unde the arches IMO...

[Edited on 18/7/03 by Stu16v]

andyd

posted on 19/7/03 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Stu. Sounds like they'd be too wide!

The Dax website seems to imply that they can supply them "in various widths" although doesn't seem to say how much or if you can buy them separately to the rest of the kit. I assume you can else how did you get them?

I'll email them and see what the damage would be. I don't fancy modding them but at the moment it may be the only option short of getting different wheels and I'm not about to do that.

Andy

Stu16v

posted on 19/7/03 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yes there are different widths, and mine are the widest variant. I bought mine S/H from a guy on the Robin Hood area @ Stoneleigh a couple of years ago, the pair for 30 quid
But they are a real pain in the arse to make new mounting flanges. As the arches are all luvverly and curvy, there is no reference point to ensure you are keeping the arches square. I had to do one twice to get it somewhere near, and even now I think I am going to be re-doing it in the winter......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.