Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreens???
Aussie

posted on 23/7/03 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Windscreens???

I've noticed most Locosts don't seem to have windscreens....can you get one for it???

Also if possible is there such thing as a removable windscreen which you could take off when you want to race it?

Nick (otherwise known as - Mr Questions! lol)

This month up for grabs I have a copy of G. Wayne Miller's new book - Men and Speed.

So check out http://www.nick-kjaer.com for more info on how to enter this free monthly competition.

Simon

posted on 24/7/03 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Nick,

There are various suppliers of windscreens, but bear in mind that if you have one when you present your car for its SVA test, you will need windscreen wipers (that scribe an effective arc, and park properly) and an effective demister (ie plumb in the donor car's heater and associated bits and pieces.

One the other hand if you don't fit a screen, you don't need wipers!! or a demister.

Couple less things to worry about.

The other thing to remember is aerodynamics - having a screen is like having a 4sq foot sail on top of your car - which will create a lot of resistance at speed.

ATB

Simon

Aussie

posted on 24/7/03 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Oh! what so i can get the car registered without a windscreen???

This month up for grabs I have a copy of G. Wayne Miller's new book - Men and Speed.

So check out http://www.nick-kjaer.com for more info on how to enter this free monthly competition.

GasGasGas

posted on 24/7/03 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the long and the short of it!

No screen = less work for the S.V.A. test

No screen = best wear a crash helmet!

Aussie

posted on 24/7/03 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
oh wicked thats cool - i just didn't realise a car without a windscreen would be legal. But hey thats cool news.

theconrodkid

posted on 24/7/03 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
having driven with and without screen i can say its a lot calmer without,see your from london,why not pop along to one of our meets and have a chat/look,breckys on you thou

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Findlay234

posted on 24/7/03 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
hey john, do you use a full face helmet or just a pair of goggles and a woolie hat?
Aussie

posted on 24/7/03 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
having driven with and without screen i can say its a lot calmer without

Can't figure that one out....

see your from london,why not pop along to one of our meets and have a chat/look

Yeah might do - when do you meet up and where bouts etc?

breckys on you thou

Never going to happen - i'm an unemployed race driver. lol. hence the reason i resort to working for Silverstone as a race instructor. lol.

Aussie

posted on 24/7/03 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
sorry i was crap at using that quote feature hey....lol.

zetec

posted on 25/7/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted a screen post SVA, unbolts in 5 mins for trackdays.

Where abouts in London are you?

Aussie

posted on 26/7/03 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Well no i'm in Reading - but can get into London pretty easily. It's close enough.

MustangSix

posted on 27/7/03 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a photo of what I'm making. No glass yet, just the frame and the ply templates. Split screen, laid back like a Duvall.

Ian Pearson

posted on 27/7/03 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
Lolocost do a screen that's good value.
James

posted on 28/7/03 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MustangSix
Here's a photo of what I'm making. No glass yet, just the frame and the ply templates. Split screen, laid back like a Duvall.

Sorry to say it mate but you've gone and made an error- you've put the steering column on the wrong side!

Everyone knows the correct place in on the right- get it sorted!

James

[Edited on 28/7/03 by James]

MustangSix

posted on 28/7/03 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
That's ok, I only plan to drive it in reverse.

pbura

posted on 28/7/03 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Looks great, Jack!

A coupla questions:

1. What kind of channel are you using for your center section?

2. Are you going to anchor the screen in the middle? If so, how are you going to manage sealing the bottom?

OK, I know that's really 3 questions

I looked into pricing a center post for a Jaguar XK. The were only 1 LEU (Locost Equivalent Unit = 250 UKP) apiece.

Pete

P.S. Reminder: Post mirror images of car photos for UK consumption

MustangSix

posted on 28/7/03 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, I'm taking a cue from some of my street rod buddies and there will be no center post. The glass is going to be butted together and sealed with either clear or black silicone. You use tape to make a very clean joint. I saw this on a similar screen on a 27 roadster and the result was very nice.

On the roadster I looked at, the lower windshield frame was anchored by tabs attached to the backside of the bottom frame. The tabs were simply bolted to the cowl.

At the top of the screen in the center of the Vee, there was another tab that held a support rod that went to the edge of the cowl. The support rod mounted an MGB rearview mirror. Between that and the outer windshiled stanchions, it was a very rigid assembly.

Some of the street rods I've looked at seemed to have been sealed at the lower edge with silicone. That might be an option and would certainly be cheap and easy.

Not in this photo are the supports. I still intend to use the windshield support brackets/stanchions similar to book, but sized and angled to fit this screen.

All this would probably not make it thru SVA, though. Too many pointy edges, and we wouldn't want our British friends poking out an eye!

timf

posted on 28/7/03 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
hi jack

just a quick question looking at your mock up the bottom of the screen is very complex shape wise how are you getting the glass cut to that shape.

Tim

MustangSix

posted on 28/7/03 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
There's a place here in Orlando that can cut it. They use a computer controlled waterjet that just slices right thru glass. They can cut almost any shape very quickly.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/7/03 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
BTW

you can get glass with sva compliant markings from autoglass windscreen depots.

I havnt got mine yet but I confirmed with a depot that it could be supplied.

atb

steve

GO

posted on 29/7/03 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Steve, do you know if they're able to do curved screens or do they only cut flat stuff to shape?

Probably talking £££ for a custom curved screen anyway

stephen_gusterson

posted on 29/7/03 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I just asked for flat, but I dunno if custom curved could be done - sounds unlikely tho....

the emark is vital, so cutting and modding a std curved part from a normal car might be hard - and you also need to preserve the markings, so thats probably not an alternative either.....

atb

steve

ned

posted on 29/7/03 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
unless anyone has a stencil of the emark to put onto their own glass.

but you'd only be cheating yourself, safety wise i guess etc...

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 29/7/03 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
...except that marks like that would not be accepted - they have to be inside the matrix of glass-plastic-glass.

DJ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.