New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: One piece scuttle/bonnet
Simon

posted on 6/8/03 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
One piece scuttle/bonnet

Chaps,

Was thinking about a one piece scuttle/bonnet

Is this a stupid idea?

Hinged at the back, or down one side. Obviously the part of scuttle that would have been engine side (ie the front) will need to be separate, and fixed independently to chassis.

Don't shoot me down, just asking for your ops

Thanks

Simon

Spyderman

posted on 6/8/03 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Problem with incorporating the scuttle with the bonnet would then be waterproofing around scuttle area. The electrics could get wet.
Pressumably you will not have a screen either?
Not a very practical idea I think.

Having the bonnet and nose hinge together would be more practical and dramatic!

Terry

Spyderman

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/8/03 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
I think it is exactly what Robbing Hood do with their 2B model
ned

posted on 6/8/03 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
remember to consider the exhaust/carb/airfilter positioning and relevant holes for clearance. I would have thought a flip front type would be the way to go, just IMHO or course!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 6/8/03 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Terry,

"...be waterproofing around scuttle area. The electrics could get wet."

I have to disagree but correct me if I'm missing something. If the only place for water ingress is where the "scunnet" (one piece scuttle/bonnet) meets the nosecone, I'd have thought it would be quite waterproof. No joint between bonnet/scuttle!

There wouldn't be anywhere for water to get in, would there?

The electrics would be mounted on a panel (what would be the front of the scuttle in a two piece jobby) which will have a rubber seal fitted around the edge.

No windscreen planned - possibly aeroscreen

Ned - as Robin Hood do a one piece flip bonnet/nose, I'd already discarded that idea to save possible confusion:0

Bonnet part will have huge scoop to clear engine; exhausts exit through cut outs in bonnet - see archive piccies.

ATB

Simon

Spyderman

posted on 6/8/03 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
The current layout does not need to seal bonnet to scuttle because any leakage will only enter engine bay. Scuttle is already sealed from engine bay and does not need anything else.
If scuttle moves with bonnet then you will have to seal along the sides between scuttle and chassis.

If you wish to go that route then do it, but you did ask!

Terry

Spyderman

Simon

posted on 6/8/03 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Terry,

"...will have to seal along the sides between scuttle and chassis" - which has to be done anyway

I think we may be misunderstanding each other

Have a look at:

http://forum.locostbuilders.co.uk/xmb/photos/cgi-bin/showpic.pl?sconnet.jpg

The red bit, all one piece. There's a black dotted line (bit vague) for the front of what would be a two piece scuttle, and this is bolted to chassis - unconnected to sconnet - upon which electrics will be mounted.

Hopefully this might clear things up a bit!!

ATB

Simon

merkurman

posted on 7/8/03 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
woudl this incluse mountings for the dash? or is it just going to be an extended bonnet over the dash face? if you plan on hinging the dash/gauges don't plan on a cable speedo.

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mranlet

posted on 8/8/03 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I think you might be on to something...

If it were me doing the build (which it's not) I would have the whole scuttle, bonnet, and nosecone all molded into one piece, replace the top-of-the-footwell frame crosspieces with corner bracing, and have the whole deal hinge from the front. I'd then add a rubber seal around the bottom edge to watertight the connection and add a trunk or bonnet release along the top of the transmission tunnel to lock it down while driving. Depending on how heavy it ends up being, I might add a small hydraulic assist from the hatch of a wagon or van.

This way, you could pop the thing with the release lever and tilt it up for easy entering and exiting of the car. It would be like a one-piece bodywork that also serves as one big door.

Wiring, steering column, and instruments could be worked out without too much trouble, especially if you had a telescoping steering column and instruments mounted to a stationary panel or arms (elements like the speedo and tach could be on long rigid brackets welded to the frame in front of the shifter)

What would you think of that idea? It sure would be trick...

-MR

merkurman

posted on 8/8/03 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
well if you had electric gauges then they could be mounted and use doorjam contacts to send power to them. seems like alot of work though. what about added weight? reduced torsional stregth of chassis form loosing the scuttle?

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

mranlet

posted on 8/8/03 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
You'd probably maintain about the same weight, with the release giving you back the weight that you lost from removing rivets, extra brackets, etc.

I can't imagine that the scuttle would stiffen the chassis much, or even if it did you would not notice the difference...

Go for it man!
-MR

Jon Bradbury

posted on 9/8/03 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Check this picture ( = 1000 words)

http://www.robinhoodengineering.co.uk/images/aligatorbonnet.jpg

That's the Robin Hood alligator bonnet. I've seen one first hand and I must say it would make your build much much easier. The firewall has Sierra door or boot sealing trim on it so that it maintains a seal between engine bay and cockpit.

As to whether its waterproof... well I ask you, is any seven-esque car truly waterproof?

Nope, thought not.

Edit : PS, I think the dashboard stays in place when it opens.

[Edited on 9/8/03 by Jon Bradbury]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.