Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rivnut type of thing
OX

posted on 17/8/03 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
rivnut type of thing

some might of seen these there very usefull but no way as strong as rivnuts but you wont need to use loctite on the bolts becouse they shouldnt vibrate loosebut i think they will be ok for holding on the panels around the propshaft tunnel
i have put a picture up but its a bit big lol the 5mm thread size wellnut needs the same size hole as a 6mm rivnut,im not sure how big the sizes go up to as iv only seen 5 mm to 8mm thread size.sorry if a post like this has been put up befor but i didnt do a search first DOH!

Mix

posted on 18/8/03 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
A word of warning.
If you do decide to use these fasteners under no circumstances use loctite on the threads, if you do you will find out that when you try to remove the screw that the loctite bond is stronger than the rubber compound. The rubber usually tears or just spins in the hole making the next course of action, (after the mandatory expletives) grinding / drilling off the fastener. If you use these fasteners you need to prevent corrosion having the same effect, personally I would give them a wide berth.

Mick

OX

posted on 18/8/03 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
yes ,dont use loctite ,maybe i should of made that more clear,sorry,but a little copper slip or any type of grease should do the trick to stop corrosion,motor bikes have used these for years on mudguards screens and fairings but only realy found problems with the mudguard ones becouse they are exposed to roadsalt and all types of weather.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.