Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric spray gun
givemethebighammer

posted on 22/8/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Electric spray gun

Anyone ever sprayed a car with an electric spray gun ??. My dad used to do it years ago but I was too young to remember what sort of finish he got, or how much final surface finishing he had to do.
Jon Ison

posted on 22/8/03 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
it was a long while ago, but i did have a go with one, "wagner" i think it was called, now i don't profess to be an expert paint sprayer but the results i got from it where "shocking" may have been me, maybe the gun, maybe both but i personally would'nt try again.........

stephen_gusterson

posted on 22/8/03 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
I once did a car - 25 years ago - with a burgess electric gun.

bloody awful.

unless you want a nice orange peel finish. I think these things are good for creosote or the like.

I have made a really good job of a car about 8 years back, using a std bottom fed air operated gun.

dont use a lekky gun - itll give a crap job.

unless Mark can say otherwise

atb

steve

[Edited on 22/8/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Mix

posted on 23/8/03 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
I had a Burgess gun ages ago and have to agree with Steve, the finish left a lot to be desired.
Bite the bullet and get a compressor, after the initial wallet shock you'll wonder how you ever did without one!!

Mick

Spyderman

posted on 23/8/03 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
If you are painting the fence then OK, but other than that don't bother.
Many years ago you could get synthetic paints that would work great with a leccy gun. However these days you are very limited in materials you can use and they don't spray too well with an electric gun because they get heated by the gun and come out as spider webs!

Many years ago there was a synthetic material called QuickLine made by PPG (where I worked) which could be sprayed or brushed and flowed out to give a beautiful gloss. It made cellolose look matt by comparison. This could be sprayed by an electric gun. However it was phased out due to changing regulations.

Terry

Spyderman

Peteff

posted on 23/8/03 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Get to the Aldi supermarket.

They are doing a 1.5hp oilless compressor and some cheap attachments this week. Powercraft £69.99 looks like a SIP, attachments £19.99. I use a gravity feed gun like the one in their kit and it works well with cellulose or synthetic. Get one quick if you want one 'cos last time they all ended up on ebay days after the offer ended at £99.99 buy it now (profiteering)

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

givemethebighammer

posted on 25/8/03 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
thanks

compressor it is then, however just one final question. I know a chap with a small compressor but he complains that it only holds enough air to spray for about a minute before it has to recharge. He moans that this has caused he problems when spraying cars ??

[Edited on 25/8/03 by givemethebighammer]

JoelP

posted on 25/8/03 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
That is down to free air rate as well as the volume it holds. Mine is 30 litres, but i've never sprayed with it so i have no idea if that is good. Rather noisy though.

Get the biggest you can, mine at machine mart was 110 spondulies, a friend has a similar one he uses for spraying small jobs.

maybe ask at the shop, and they'll undoubtedly sell you the biggest and most expensive one!

Noodle

posted on 25/8/03 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by givemethebighammer
thanks

compressor it is then, however just one final question. I know a chap with a small compressor but he complains that it only holds enough air to spray for about a minute before it has to recharge. He moans that this has caused he problems when spraying cars ??

[Edited on 25/8/03 by givemethebighammer]

I sprayed my old mans Morris Minor years ago with my cheap Clarke (Machine Mart) compressor and gun. To get a decent finish in cellulose, when the gun was half-empty (natural pessimist) I topped it up with thinners and carried on spraying until spraying virtually neat thinners for that mirror finish (with flies). The weather was hot and some of the paint would start to set while I was waiting for the compressor to re-charge. I couldn't get the required smoothness on the panels because of this. Although I have to say the o/s front wing was a work of art. Still makes me happy when I see it today.

A friend and I tried to respray a Land Rover with an electric gun. It was utter shite. We bought Tekaloid and brush painted it instead. (nice )

The moral of the story, get lots of CFM and a big tank.

Neil.

[Edited on 25/8/03 by Noodle]

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/8/03 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mark might be the best one to give advice on this.

I have read somewhere that you need at least 7 CFM to power a spray gun. Most of the ones in machine mart are around this level - you seem to have to part with a lot of spondoolies to get much higher.

atb

steve

Peteff

posted on 25/8/03 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Spraying only?

If you are looking at a spray outfit try the HVLP setup.
http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8772
I used one of these years ago and found it easier to get on with than a compressor fed setup. It works on a turbine system. If you want to use a compressor for other than spraying you should be looking at about 12cfm+ to run tools like die grinders etc. Your free air delivery is usually around 2/3 of the cfm figure and this is the part that counts. Put the price of a decent spraygun into your budget and you will be looking at a tidy sum. Having said that my compressor cost me £350 and my gun was £57 and I now use a £20 gravity gun with a 1.4mm nozzle for most locost size jobs, but they were bought when I used them for a lot of other stuff.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hugh Paterson

posted on 28/8/03 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hvlp / small compressors

I would recommend HVLP for spraying in lieu of the small gravity gun with HP air, with a small amount of practise, the finish with HVLP is much better. If you chose to buy a small compressor aim for the 7-10cfm range, I use a cheap SIP on wheels for mobile work that chucks out 10cfm, that also runs my air die grinder and sander all day if required. Well maintained air tools outlive electric ones, in an enviroment with lots of dust and hazchems paints, solvents, resins etc etc much safer too.
Shug.

Ranger

posted on 28/8/03 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Was readin an article bout spray guns and the like and the apollo Spraymate 400 got a really good review - 150 quid though so it's not that cheap. Its a hvlp turbine system jobby.

Hope this mite help

Never avoid the challenges in life always avoid the trees!!!!!

Peteff

posted on 28/8/03 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
That's the one in the link I put up to Frost U.K.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.