Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making a (not so) Quick Buck
Peteff

posted on 11/12/05 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I rebuilt the front of bro in laws Fiesta van (employee related accident) and he got me a tin of Upol for filling bits before I painted it. That was 3 years ago and I've used it for loads of other bits and there's still more than 3/4 of the tin left. You could render a house with 3 tins .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stevebubs

posted on 11/12/05 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
I rebuilt the front of bro in laws Fiesta van (employee related accident) and he got me a tin of Upol for filling bits before I painted it. That was 3 years ago and I've used it for loads of other bits and there's still more than 3/4 of the tin left. You could render a house with 3 tins .

Probably - but for lack of anything else to use, I've been using it for structure, too.

Now I've got the final shape (nearly), I'm hardly using any each time and the present tin has lasted me about a week without making a huge indent in it.

stevebubs

posted on 11/12/05 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cita

You'll get there mate no worries!
It's gonna be fine!

Cheers Cita

Thanks for the vote of confidence! It's starting to feel like the end may be in sight - may even get to do the mould next weekend :O

k33ts

posted on 11/12/05 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
just a suggestion dont use to fine a paper on filler 200 max or youll knock it out of shape to much looks like youre somwhere near using filler primer!
stevebubs

posted on 16/12/05 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Top Tip

For finishing, use the plastic spreader supplied with the body filler and not a metal one.
stevebubs

posted on 18/12/05 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Gettting closer - just final finish now...took this after I spent 6 hours cleaning the dust out the garage....

[img][/img]

Hugh Paterson

posted on 18/12/05 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
What u going to use to get a "smooth" curve where it bonds on the original bonnet??
Shug.

stevebubs

posted on 18/12/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Take a mould from the buck above (which is oversize) and then make a cast of the bulge.

Trim down to the size required and contours of the bonnet.

Was then going to glass it on from underneath with 3/4 layeres of matting

Then fill any gaps with flowcoat...

From your post (and previous comments) I sense a "but" or "bunch of problems" comment coming - any help/hints gratefully received.

Hugh Paterson

posted on 18/12/05 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hows about this
Fair the bulge when u have it cooking to the original bonnet by a fillet of plasticene with a wee bit of release wax mixed in it To make it "more pliable" You can radius it to the correct diameter by using a suitable sized ball bearing. Indeed u can get em from most GRP supplers as a wee tool on a stick just for the job. Polish the lot with 4-5 coats of good quality release wax and take a pull ( new mould), of the whole lot.. bonnet complete with new bulge then get a new bonnet from that. Feck this glue the addition on crap trust me unless u do it day in and out it will look like a pound of mince. If you cant do it for £50 or less your buying your GRP from the wrong place....to recover your outlay get laminating and flog em on e-bay. If u make a good job of it I might even be able to offer u a job on something more exotic in a couple of weeks!! Only problem with that u have to learn Jockaneese Im in Glasgow
Shug.

stevebubs

posted on 18/12/05 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Paterson
Hows about this
Fair the bulge when u have it cooking to the original bonnet by a fillet of plasticene with a wee bit of release wax mixed in it To make it "more pliable" You can radius it to the correct diameter by using a suitable sized ball bearing. Indeed u can get em from most GRP supplers as a wee tool on a stick just for the job. Polish the lot with 4-5 coats of good quality release wax and take a pull ( new mould), of the whole lot.. bonnet complete with new bulge then get a new bonnet from that. Feck this glue the addition on crap trust me unless u do it day in and out it will look like a pound of mince. If you cant do it for £50 or less your buying your GRP from the wrong place....to recover your outlay get laminating and flog em on e-bay. If u make a good job of it I might even be able to offer u a job on something more exotic in a couple of weeks!! Only problem with that u have to learn Jockaneese Im in Glasgow
Shug.

(Gulp) Not sure I have the space to make a complete bonnet in my garage (or the time!)

Think I'll try the "glue" it on method first (assuming I don't make a complete hash of the bulge mould)

If all that goes to plan, I may take a mould of the bonnet during warmer months and make another...fills me with fear, though.

TBH, My main worry with my proposed method is cracking in the gelcoat joins - is there anything I can do to try and prevent that?

Hugh Paterson

posted on 19/12/05 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
Aye get triton or me to do it for your har har you have u2u
Shug

stevebubs

posted on 10/1/06 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly there....

[img][/img]
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.