Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting a towbar to to a Locost/Roadster?
paul the 6th

posted on 20/12/08 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting a towbar to to a Locost/Roadster?

I know this will probably sound absolutely mental or wierd to some people, but I was wondering how tricky it would be to fita towbar to a haynes roadster (or locost since the back end structure is very similar)...

I do a few bike trackdays a year and usually ride to the circuit but the consensus seems to be that it's best to trailer or put the bikes in a van, then if you have any accidents on track and the bike is unrideable, you can still get home... I really like the idea of turning up in a roadster with bike on trailer behind Maybe I'm just going back to my roots and being a complete boy with toys.

How can I stick the roadster and the bike together?

If it's completely impossible or not worth doing, feel free to scald me, but if anyone else has done/tried/thought about this - please feel free to share

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Dangle_kt

posted on 20/12/08 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I guess its doable, but the rear end will need beefing up to take the strain. also it will make passing the SVA /IVA harder if you build it in before the test - those protusions will all need radiusing, andI'm not sure if there are any specific tests the do on tow bars stregt?
To be honest though, track days are best done with a box trailer, and that will be a bugger to tow behind your locost, it will be about 3 times the height and probably the same weight.

I have a"normal" bike trailer, which is good, but when it rainsI have my car to sit in, you wont(can you imagine getting in a locost wearing full leathers?)

box trailers mean you dont worry about the bike as much, no tea leafs know what your towing back to your house, and you have somewhere to throw all your kit as well as your bike, wets on wheels etc. as well as giving you somewhere comfy to sit and get changed - seen them with a hammock in, and cooking stuff too, for bacon buttys at lunch

[Edited on 20/12/08 by Dangle_kt]

stuart_g

posted on 20/12/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think it is a daft idea. I have seen tow balls fitted to quite a lot of Robin Hood sevens as they have an integrated spare wheel carrier built into the chassis and they have attached the tow ball to that.

As far as sticking the roadster and bike together, wouldn't you end up with a BEC?

BenB

posted on 20/12/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I think the difference is the engineering on the old Hoods is rather agricultural (compared to the lightweight where it was just rather optimistic!!!)....

I'd worry what would happen to the rear of the chassis on a book Locost under breaking with a tow-bar attached. You'ld probably need to triangulate the chassis / tow-bar mount point...

paul the 6th

posted on 20/12/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
A lot of people have told me "just stick it in a van, then you've got somewhere to get changed and store all your stuff"....

Actually that's something I meant to ask a while back - are there any plans/measurements/details anywhere on the net for incorporating a spare wheel carrier into the roadster. I've got the ron champion book as well but can't remember any details for a spare wheel carrier in that either?

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 20/12/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
theres a reliant 3 wheeler down the road with one so why not,

Personally I'm not a fan though

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

wilkingj

posted on 20/12/08 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
All towbars made after a certain date need to have an EU approval stamp.
It may be fitted to cars made after a certain date.

But there is certainly legislation relating to the manufacture of towbars and it covers the whole of the EU.

It woud not be fincially viable to go through the testing for a one off towbar.

Not sure how this apples to any kit car.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SPYDER

posted on 20/12/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just lifted this from the net...
"Most passenger cars registered after 1st August 1998 (S registration) must be fitted with a Type Approved towbar. These cars have an “e” mark on the VIN plate together with the maximum car and trailer mass. If the trailer mass is not specified then the car is not permitted to tow a trailer, however it may still be fitted with a support bracket to fit a cycle or motorbike carrier."
But it goes on to say..
"These regulations DO NOT APPLY to the following vehicles:

Commercial Vehicles (ie. pick-ups, chassis cabs, vans etc.), Motorhomes, Special Imports (ie. from Japan or America), Front towbars and other cars that are not “e” marked."

Our cars do not have a VIN plate specifying towing limits, unless I am mistaken. Are they "E" marked? Don't think so unless that comes along with the SVA test.
This is yet another grey area regarding kit cars and, yes, I know that there are loads of people towing various trailers behind their kit cars.
A spare wheel carrier is not going to be strong enough. As previously stated it will require proper bracing to the chassis, something that may not be legal to attempt yourself, no matter how competent you may be.
None of us likes to get embroiled in the legal side of things but the consequences in the event of an accident could be dire.
As for pre 1998 vehicles I don't know.
Maybe all kitcars are exempt from these regs.
But you don't want to find out the hard way.
My friend was threatened with prosecution when ONE of his tyres was found to be under-inflated following an incident when a child ran out in front of him. The car was impounded for nearly a week. The kid was OK but imagine the worry.
Now imagine it was you towing a trailer with a home spun towbar arrangement.
"Construction and Use Regs, m'lud.... braking distances, m'lud.....etc.
There are companies out there that MIGHT be able to do it properly and legally.
Ask your Insurance Company if you would be invalidating your policy.
Think about it.
Merry Christmas everyone!!
Geoff.

JoelP

posted on 20/12/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
it would be very easy to fit one.
thunderace

posted on 20/12/08 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to say dont as i have seen lots of crashes ,i will tell you why ,going down hill the weight of even a bike can lift the rear wheels of your car ,this will make you car crash for sure i see crashes like this with small cars towing trailers and caravans ,dont be fooled the force, weight at speed of say 50 will be 7 or 8 times the weight of the bike and trailer you press the brakes and pushes out the rear at speed..
i seen a guy at loch lomand stand on the back of his boat trailer on the launch ,his car was a large new 4x4 and he lifted the rear wheels enough to make the car roll in to the water .(it was very funny there were loads of people come just to take pics poor guy with his new boat and new car)bet he wished he put it in gear.

[Edited on 20/12/08 by thunderace]

omega 24 v6

posted on 20/12/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
As an aside in the sva form you need to fill in the train weight or gross weight (something anyway) so I suppose it is possible but there must be implications etc during the brake force calculation. I'd imagine it's not as simple as JUST fitting it.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Ross SA

posted on 20/12/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Re the spare wheel carrier; I've made one that fits on my SA locost chassis, uses the mouts for the rear facing struts on the roll over bar.
Ross

posted on 20/12/08 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paul the 6th
A lot of people have told me "just stick it in a van, then you've got somewhere to get changed and store all your stuff"....

Actually that's something I meant to ask a while back - are there any plans/measurements/details anywhere on the net for incorporating a spare wheel carrier into the roadster. I've got the ron champion book as well but can't remember any details for a spare wheel carrier in that either?

Hi.

When I made my chassis I added a cross between the top and bottom hoops with threaded inserts welded in. (arrowed in 1st pic)

Skinned the back as normal and drilled to match the 4 threaded holes.

I then made up a top hat with 2 wheel studs mounted in it and bolted this onto the rear of the car.

The spare fits on the studs with locking wheel nuts. (see pic 2)

Note the spare is off centre to allow room for a number plate.

If I were to fit a tow ball I would brace my bottom hoop and weld in a plate with 2 threaded holes to match a tow ball.
Plug the holes for SVA and fit the ball later.
It would then be removable.

Hope this helps.

Paul G Rescued attachment s-w-s.jpg
Rescued attachment s-w-s.jpg

mark chandler

posted on 20/12/08 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
What Vehicles are affected by the European type approval (EC94/20)?
The Vehicles that are covered by the approval are all passenger carrying vehicles up to 3500kg first registered after the 1st August 1998. These are classed as M1 Vehicles, this excludes Light commercials such as vans and pickups and private imports from outside the EU.

What does the approval achieve?
This approval stops vehicles towing unsafely it eliminates towbars being thrown together in someones garden shed and it ensures that towbars are mounted to the correct points on the vehicle to keep them secure. Small cars that are not big or heavy enough to control a trailer now do not have towbars manufactured for them.

How does this approval work for vehicles?
The approval means that all vehicles that are designed to tow have details on the VIN plate. The plate will show GTR (gross train weight) if it is designed to tow. The vehicle will also have towbar mounting points built in to the chassis or other strong points on the vehicle.

So with a Locost scratch built chassis it all gets interesting if you have designed and built to include a towbar mounting.

Also imports are excluded which is the same box that we fall into as they need SVA for english plates.

[Edited on 20/12/08 by mark chandler]

Litemoth

posted on 20/12/08 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't the point here one of weight?

I think the rule of thumb is the gross weight of the thing you're towing can't be more than about 80% of the weight of the car? This ratio probably goes down with a much lighter car (especially with unbraked trailers) due to the risk of the tail wagging the dog. I recon 200 Kilos would be about the limit.

[Edited on 20/12/08 by Litemoth]

paul the 6th

posted on 20/12/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
so then... to conclude:

I'm not going to fit a towbar - it'll be too complicated for the sake of being able to tow a bike (which would be better off in a van anyway)

I'm going to make a note of 907's info about fitting a spare wheel carrier

--------

Marcus

posted on 27/12/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add, mine has a towbar..

Back Panel
Back Panel

Not used it to tow yet, bit makes a handy mounting point for..

Gearbox
Gearbox

Seems to hold a fair weight. Came in handy for holidays too..
DescriptionEurotunnel
DescriptionEurotunnel

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.