Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Half Doors
coozer

posted on 21/3/09 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Half Doors

Asked about this before but I need either a good guide to making them (Smart51?) or some one who can make a decent go of it.

Any ideas/places/people?

Locost being the theme

Fluke do some cool ones for Westies, any moulders up to it??

Steve

[Edited on 21/3/09 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Guinness

posted on 21/3/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
If we can convince Triton to make a batch, I'll have a pair in black please.

Cheers

Mike

omega0684

posted on 21/3/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
i want some as well, like these

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Pdlewis

posted on 21/3/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Id be up for some if we could get triton to make them

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

goaty

posted on 21/3/09 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
same,would love some
dhutch

posted on 21/3/09 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goaty
same,would love some
Also mildy insterested at the right price.

Humbug

posted on 21/3/09 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
They would have to be model-specific, because every type of car has slightly different scuttle shape/angle, sill length, etc.
caber

posted on 21/3/09 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I got my tonneau made with 2 zips so I can leave the sides on as half doors. this works really well and cost nothing!

Caber

smart51

posted on 21/3/09 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't done a guide but here's how I did mine. I bought a few lengths of 10mm x 1mm wall steel tube, a bit of 20mm x 2mm flat bar. and some 6mm dia solid bar. The steel tube was bent by hand and over my knee to the desired shape. The top bar is parallel to the side from the top of the arch and bends near the front to be parallel to the scuttle / bonnet. The bottom bar follows the line of the rear arch and runs just below the top of the side panel. These are welded to the strip at the front which follows the angle of the dash. A short piece of the strip is welded to the rear ends of the tubes, spacing them apart.

The thick wire is bent into half elipse shapes to form the elbow room. The ends are welded to the tubes top and bottom with the apexes welded together. I spray painted them with zinc primer and black top coat.

The shells were made from two pieces of 2mm thick mounting card from a stationary shop. Tape them on with masking tape to hold it. The join of the 2 pieces follows the rear ellipse. I found that flat pieces bent to shape nicely.

I covered the outside with seating vinyl which had enough stretch to cover in 1 piece without any joins. Contact adhesive over most of the area has been fine for over a year. Something with a bit more hold for the seams might be a good idea.

I covered the inside with what ebay told me was fake suede. It was a bit thin but looked nice. You need some thin foam for padding if you don't want the folded over edges of the vinyl to show through.

Plenty of places sell lift off hinges. Reinforce the scuttle if bolting direct to the GRP with a steel plate at the back.

rusty nuts

posted on 22/3/09 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Spent yesterday pm shaping and bending a piece of ally sheet to make a half door for the drivers side . Doesn't look too bad although not as good as Paul (907) would have made . Need to make some hinges to suit as I haven't seen any I like. Going to use a sheet of Vybak for the sidescreens although I'm not sure if it's legal ?
Miks15

posted on 22/3/09 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Humbug
They would have to be model-specific, because every type of car has slightly different scuttle shape/angle, sill length, etc.

Surely they sould be made with extra at the bottom and end and trimmed to your requriement?

dhutch

posted on 22/3/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Surely they sould be made with extra at the bottom and end and trimmed to your requriement?

Yeah, thats what i was thinking.
- Have the same fixed shape in the middle, with plenty of material around, trim to suit.

Daniel

jabbahutt

posted on 23/3/09 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Fantastic idea, I'd be up for a set specially if in a similar style to the ones in omega0684's post further up.

Agree the the view above that one style with enough material to trim to specific model would be the sensible way to go but then I know nothing about molding in fibreglass.

Triton

posted on 23/3/09 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone fancy making the pattern then as they vary a bit...bloke/woman who maketh thine pattern gets a set buckshee.....

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 23/3/09 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
A pattern eh? Will do but what about the curve over the scuttle?

Excited

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Triton

posted on 23/3/09 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
That's the only snag as 7's vary a bit there and not all have the same radius side to side but I suppose if made using woven cloth they could be persuaded to fit as it makes for a more flexible part...
My woven cloth cycle wings all but twist right round with no cracking of the gel coat where the standard ones would give up the ghost.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

coozer

posted on 23/3/09 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
What about a pattern of the side with a bit of bar bent to match the scuttle rad??

More excited

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Triton

posted on 23/3/09 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
I have an Indy scuttle somewhere so know I can match to that so if you did one to suit the MNR that makes two if the distance from scuttle to wing is more or less the same.?

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

coozer

posted on 23/3/09 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I'll take some pics and do some measuring when I get home tonight.

I reckon the scuttle to back wing is a fair bit longer on the MNR just going of sitting in them like...

Thank you,
Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DarrenW

posted on 23/3/09 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
By pattern are we talking just like sticking a piece of paper over where the doors would sit and drawing the shape between scuttle, rear rad and top of chassis? I could possibly do a Mac#1 so that you have another marque to try.

Marcus

posted on 23/3/09 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
You could do this :

Description
Description

Took 10 mins with a needle and thread

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

Triton

posted on 23/3/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I should Know the distance on the Mac1 but duffer getting old and can't remember....but yes and some idea on how deep the elbow bit wants to be because being a shortarse I would make it too small for everyone else..

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

YQUSTA

posted on 23/3/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have a full size MK door if you want me to get some dims from that?

YQUSTA

coozer

posted on 23/3/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
FAO: Mr. Triton and his exceedingly good seats.

Here we go..

front of scuttle to rear arch for the bottom bar is 660 (690 overlapping?)

Height up the scuttle about 260. From this point back to the roll bar at the top point of the body is 1100 (1130 overlapping)

So front height without overlap is 260, going back to the roll bar level measuring back 520 from the bottom of the scuttle the height is 280

The scuttle is quite flat up to the 260 point but here would need to be a curve in the top to clear the steering wheel.

The height of the bodywork at the back is 50mm form the top of the arch to the top of the bodywork

Hows that? Is it all a bit too complicated without the car??

Steve

[Edited on 24/3/09 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

M15ley

posted on 28/7/09 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
It appeas as though this project has died a death? Did anything come of the door manufacturing idea?
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.