Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cycle Wings Position
Black Cat

posted on 13/4/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cycle Wings Position

Should the cycle wing be positioned so all the tyre is covered from above, that is to say when looking down, are you allowed to see tyre at the front of the cycle wing or can the cycle wing be slid as far back as you want?
graememk

posted on 13/4/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
when looking from the side it must come forward of the wheel

tomgregory2000

posted on 13/4/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
IVA has different requiremts to SVA, the arch must cover the full width of the tyre when viewed from above, under sva the arch only had to cover the forward edge of the rim not the tyre but IVA has angles of cover, dont have these to hand sorry
graememk

posted on 13/4/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
yeap sorry about that, i'm still quoting sva rules i'm out of touch now....

looks like we all need mnr arches

thefreak

posted on 13/4/09 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Just looking at the new manual.

1. The vehicle must be fitted with wheel guards

2. The wheel guard must extend at least 30 degrees from the centre of the wheel to the front

3. The wheel guard must extend at least 50 degrees from the centre of the wheel to the rear

4. The wheel guard must cover the full breadth of the tyre throughout the required dimensions

5. The rear of the wheel guard must not terminate above a horizontal plane of 150mm above the wheel centre.

It doesn't mention like in section 5 how far over the front of the wheel guard must terminate though? Is that governed by the 30 degrees? as in that's adiquate for the coverage over the front of the wheel. Also, does section 4 mean the width of the tyre (breadth)? rather than looking down front to back?

ReMan

posted on 14/4/09 at 04:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
yeap sorry about that,
looks like we all need mnr arches [/quote)

Yikes! They're not everybodys cup of tea

[Edited on 14/4/09 by ReMan]

Vindi_andy

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thefreak

2. The wheel guard must extend at least 30 degrees from the centre of the wheel to the front

3. The wheel guard must extend at least 50 degrees from the centre of the wheel to the rear

4. The wheel guard must cover the full breadth of the tyre throughout the required dimensions

5. The rear of the wheel guard must not terminate above a horizontal plane of 150mm above the wheel centre.

It doesn't mention like in section 5 how far over the front of the wheel guard must terminate though? Is that governed by the 30 degrees? as in that's adiquate for the coverage over the front of the wheel. Also, does section 4 mean the width of the tyre (breadth)? rather than looking down front to back?

Answer to query 1 regarding how far forward I would say yes that is dictated byt the 30 degree angle. If you put a line from the wheel centre at 12 o'clock then the front of the wheel arch must extend at leats 30 degrees round the wheel from there.

Re query 2 Yes breadth is the width

rallyingden

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
Let me get this right...
You mean like this ?

iva wing angles
iva wing angles

RD

thefreak

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Like this:

rallyingden

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Or like this ??

Description
Description

thefreak

posted on 14/4/09 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
The one I posted was a copy from the IVA manual
mad4x4

posted on 14/4/09 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vindi_andy
quote:
Originally posted by thefreak

Answer to query 1 regarding how far forward I would say yes that is dictated byt the 30 degree angle. If you put a line from the wheel centre at 12 o'clock then the front of the wheel arch must extend at leats 30 degrees round the wheel from there.

Re query 2 Yes breadth is the width

Surely the 50 Deg from rear (3) contradicts the 150mm Above center (5)

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

thefreak

posted on 14/4/09 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Surely the 50 Deg from rear (3) contradicts the 150mm Above center (5)

I think it means a minimum of 50 degrees and has to come down at least to the 150mm above the centre plane

Black Cat

posted on 15/4/09 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've fitted both the cycle wings tonight.

I decided to fit the cycle wing so when viewed from above, no tyre is visible at the front. The back edge of the cycle wing is sufficiently down passed the centre of the tyre so should satisfy all requirements.

The other reason why I fitted them this way was, the stays that came with the kit are bolted onto the uprights are positioned in such a way, to move the cycle wing any further back might make them to flexible when travelling at speed.

So, many thanks for your thought provoking comments.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.