Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen - can't make my mind up!
David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/09 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Windscreen - can't make my mind up!

At the moment my car's got a pair of Brooklands aeroscreens and no heater. If I fancy a quick blat around I have put on a helmet and gloves, even if it's just for a 30-minute quiet trundle round the lanes. Most of the time this is fine, but occasionally it's a PITA. Having had some significant hits on my visor, I don't want to drive without some face protection! Also my missus is not so keen on wearing a helmet, and even when wearing hers has been got by flying objects under her visor in the past (she wears an open-face helmet with a full-face visor).

The alternative is to fit a windscreen - I know that they do nothing for aerodynamics, but I don't do trackdays and rarely exceed 70mph (honest, constable!).

I know that I could make my own windscreen - I have the technology - but that would probably be a long, drawn-out affair. I've been in contact with Mango and his frames would cost me a bit more (but a very fair price when you add up material and labour costs). That would result in a quicker fit.

Having a screen would also mean that I could rig up some basic weather protection!

What else would I need to consider when fitting a screen? So far I've thought of:

• Wipers - I believe that old-style Mini or Land Rover types are favourite.
  • Screenwash - loads of kits available, just needs a bit more wiring and a switch.
  • Demisters - I've done SVA so that's not a requirement, but these seem like a 'nice to have' accessory! This is probably the biggest problem for me, as I'm not sure where I'd fit a heater (the plumbing and electrics would be easy, but the physical location would be an issue). I doubt whether those electric jobbies would be up to the task.

Anything else?

What are ups and downs of changing to a screen?

Will I make my mind up? Who knows?!

cheers,
David

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/09 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
No screen is fun for a while but will get a bit much on long journeys and is dreadful if it starts to rain.

You could do what I did with the buggy and fit a fold flat screen like the jeeps/landys or old cars had, it’s just a simple hinge and some catches. You can buy old landy wiper arms that have a butterfly bolt on them for quick removal. Just a suggestion really, as I like the buggy’s one since I have the best off both worlds, its great for round town driving with it down, then a quick flick up for the dual carriageways, its wipers are mounted on the top edge of the screen so don't need to be removed

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Andybarbet

posted on 24/4/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
If space is limited for a demister/heater, you could try and pick up a caterham heated screen if one ever comes up reasonably priced., you do see them 2nd hand now and again. Im assuming they are very expensive new though.

As long as it will fit your car ?

Im fitting a screen to mine because i want to make a small canvas top from the screen to the roll bar for those drizzly days - mind you, i need to build the car first

Good luck...

Guinness

posted on 24/4/09 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
If you are fitting a windscreen, then side screens / doors are a must (IMHO).

Try to blag a passenger ride in a car with a windscreen, first with the doors off and then again with the doors on.

The buffeting that comes round the screen is incredible. I had a passenger ride in Jambojeefs car when it had just a windscreen and I had my eyes closed most of the time!

In comparison I've done 300 miles in a Caterham with a full windscreen and doors and it was great! Apart from the sunburnt head!

Mike

Steve Hignett

posted on 24/4/09 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I would have a screen adn obv wash wipe, but I'm not sure I'd bother with demister as there's no interior for it to get misty from?

The cool thing about having a screen is that you can easily knock up some really good looking weather protection...

[img][/img]

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/09 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
^ that looks quite nice

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 24/4/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
re the comment about sidescreens and buffetting, I can confirm the problem. On one occassion I had to stop because my passenger was unable to breath properly, but I was having no problem. At first I couldn't work out what was going on, but then I guessed it was buffetting and asked her to hold her arms out as if she were driving - suddenly she could breath okay, but it did look very silly!
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/09 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
never even chew mint chewing gum when driving with no windscreen

you cannot breath as the mintyness is too cold

David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/09 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Yes - I like the look of that hood! It's the sort of thing I'd think of fitting (but I hadn't thought of using yellow... until now )

As for the buffeting - I wouldn't want side-screens/doors as that would take away too much of the open-air feeling that I love so much. Would those little wind deflectors found on Cobra screens make a difference?

zetec

posted on 24/4/09 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a screen for years and on long journeys side screens are good. For the odd run out I dont bother unless it is cold or just sitting doing 70 mph.
iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 24/4/09 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
i went on a trip to B&Q last weekend without the doors on and it was freezing cold!! the wind made it so cold in the cockpit, also the passenger complained of not being able to breath properly through their nostrils.

In the afternoon, after dropping off the stuff from B&Q and beer from Morrisons, went up and over the moors with the doors on and no problem, no buffrerting, could breath easily, and talk to each other at all speeds, and it is so warm, got out of the car for 20 mins and when we got back in it was like the car had a heater in it!!

Also judging by the amount of fly's on the windscreen had managed to avoid getting splatted on the face a few times!!

nitram38

posted on 24/4/09 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Bunch of wosses!
Just fit a simple flat edge deflector along the scuttle.
You will be suprised how much just a small flat edge will shift the airflow above your head.

JeffHs

posted on 24/4/09 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I'm going through just the same thought process re windscreen. I've also got Brooklands aero screens. I had them fitted to my 2CV special for years and they were fine except for the odd monsoon, but they are nowhere near as effective on the Locost.
Keep us posted with progress.

David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/09 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
You could do what I did with the buggy and fit a fold flat screen like the jeeps/landys or old cars had, it’s just a simple hinge and some catches. You can buy old landy wiper arms that have a butterfly bolt on them for quick removal. Just a suggestion really, as I like the buggy’s one since I have the best off both worlds, its great for round town driving with it down, then a quick flick up for the dual carriageways, its wipers are mounted on the top edge of the screen so don't need to be removed

I like the idea of a folding screen - I'm trying to work out how they do the wipers on the replica Jaguar SS100 as they seem to be using the conventional 'pivot at the bottom' type - maybe they park them below the screen when it's folded. Mind you, I wouldn't want to spend the £1500 they want for their setup!

At least I wouldn't need to worry about demisting (fold-flat screens were specifically excluded from SVA screen tests - not sure about IVA).

UPDATE

This looks interesting (if you ignore the mirror, which just confuses things):

This is for a Morgan, but I could see how it could be made to suit a Locost. A challenging bit of metalwork, but achievable. No harder than some of the processes I used to make my live steam loco, just a bit bigger.

I don't think all the edges and sticky-out bits would impress an IVA tester though!

[Edited on 24/4/09 by David Jenkins]

iank

posted on 24/4/09 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Bunch of wosses!
Just fit a simple flat edge deflector along the scuttle.
You will be suprised how much just a small flat edge will shift the airflow above your head.

Won't stop a bit of gravel in the forehead, which seems to be the key use-case.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Marcus

posted on 24/4/09 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I can confirm that the Cobra type wind deflectors work. They kept my hands nice and warm through a tropical storm in France! They are fitted with friction hinges too so altering the angle is simple.
See pic below:

Description
Description

My screen is a Caterham heated one, £50 from Eblag with home made uprights although I've never needed to use the heated bit. You only get condensation if the air around the screen is at different temperatures on each side, rarely (if ever) happens in a 7!!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/09 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
It's looking tempting! (that's very tidy)

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/4/09 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
this is how to mount the wipers on a fold flat screen. I used rubber door stops to protect the bonnet and the wind pressure holds it down as its lower at the front, rather than level.

[Edited on 24/4/09 by Mr Whippy]

Surrey Dave

posted on 24/4/09 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Flintstones.............

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/david.osborne42/extras.htm

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.