Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Over reving at idle
Sprytny

posted on 27/3/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Over reving at idle

I have a toyota carina 2.0e, and it idles too high at 1200-2000 rpm and it does not settle down. What could be causing this and how can I resolve this problem? It runs fine in other respects. I sprayed some carb cleaner down the air filter intake to clean the throttle butterfly with no sucess. How should I resolve this? I can include some photos of the engine bay: a mechanic said to remove the cold idle sensor but I cannot locate this: where can I find this. I'll include some photos of the engine bay. The haynes manual isn't so able to describe its location.

Thanks

speedyxjs

posted on 27/3/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Greg,
Have you taken the throttle apart and cleaned it?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Sprytny

posted on 27/3/10 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Over reving at idle

I have tried cleaning out the throttle housing already with carb spray.

I am thinking it might be one of the sensors that could be causing the problem.

speedyxjs

posted on 27/3/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprytny
I have tried cleaning out the throttle housing already with carb spray.

That may not help much if its really coked up. you will need to strip it down and clean it with a rag or toothbrush.

big_wasa

posted on 27/3/10 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
idle valve stuck open, my 406 does this when cold or an air leak would be the first things I would look for.
Sprytny

posted on 27/3/10 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle segment

With regards to the Throttle cable, I used the Haynes manual to adjust it but it is really confusing (for me anyway)

The manual says:
1. With both adjusting nuts loose, check that the inner cable is slack. Unscrew the nut nearest the throttle valve segment several times.
2. Tighten the nut furthest from the segment until the segment just starts to move, then back off the nut 1.5-2 turns to provide the correct amount of play. Tighten the locknut to retain the ferrule in this position.
3. Check the throttle valve segment opens fully and returns smoothly to its stop.

Question 1: there is only one adjusting nut as per the photo. The only problem is it isa screw. Am I adjusting the correct screw.
Question 2: does the inner cable the one I am pointing to in the picture; I cannot see any other ‘slack’ cables.
Question 3: which is the nut furthest from the segment.
Thanks Rescued attachment Throttle segment.jpg
Rescued attachment Throttle segment.jpg

speedyxjs

posted on 28/3/10 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Cant really see much in that piccy. Bring your car to college tomorrow and well do it in the break.

Sprytny

posted on 2/4/10 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Saga continued...

Having cleaned the throttle pot properly, it is still idling high. There is an idle control valve, and according to the manual your simply check to ensure it works mechanically. Can someone give me tips with this, inc how to service it. The manual doesn't give a lot away: would electrical contact cleaner help with this unit?
stuart_g

posted on 2/4/10 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
If the idle valve is a normal wax stat type it closes by heating a bimetal strip inside it and opens when power is removed and it cools down. This may be permanantly stuck open giving you the fast idle.

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

Sprytny

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks

Thanks for your input.

Is the idle valve something that can be stripped, cleaned and lubed to make it work again? The manaul says very little on this topic!

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/4/10 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
if it is anything like a Pinto one, its a good blast of carb cleaner once a year prevents any problems, or to cure

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Sprytny

posted on 12/4/10 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprytny
Thanks for your input.

Is the idle valve something that can be stripped, cleaned and lubed to make it work again? The manaul says very little on this topic!

Can the valve be fixed at all? How is it tested, and where can I find it on my engine as the manual is a little vague in relation to this. I have included a picture above.

Thanks again.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.