Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laptop can't find wireless network
NigeEss

posted on 18/4/10 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Laptop can't find wireless network

I've three laptops, 2 network music players and an ipod touch all of which usually
connect happily to my (wn) wireless network. But today, one laptop can't find the wn.
It can find several others and connect to the only unsecured one but can't pick up my own !
All other gadgets are fine.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

RichardK

posted on 19/4/10 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Has it ever connected to this network? Is it a bt home hub? If it is BT sometimes do a forced firmware update which changes config settings which can bugger up existing networks, just need to log into the router and make sure all is set right.

Cheers

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NigeEss

posted on 19/4/10 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Netgear DG834G and yes, it usually connects fine. No changes have been made.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

hearbear

posted on 19/4/10 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
This happens with mine sometimes and I need to reboot everything from modem, wireless router, access point, network usb hub and it usually works. It is a pain but worth it
Richard Quinn

posted on 19/4/10 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
This sometimes happens with my daughter's netbook. She's generally managed to switch the wireless off!
geeksandlies

posted on 19/4/10 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Have you done a firmware update to the router? Has the laptop done some windows updates? How new is it? What sort of security are you using on teh WLAN?

Now ill explain my questions

Have you done a firmare update? - Obvious really ALTHOUGH if its an G and N band router it may have dropped the G config and only be leaving the N on and older devices wont be able to see an N band WLAN only G band WLAN.
Has the laptop done some windows updates? - If they have updated the driver for the WLAN card they may have done something daft which leads onto the next...
What sort of security are you using on teh WLAN? - If you have WEP its less likely to be an issue but some older kit can really struggle with WPA enadled LANs i have had to switch back to WEP as a couple of older devices i have have wont keep up with WPA so i have them WEP'd up with a MAC filter inplace.

The one who dies with the most toys wins!

geeksandlies

posted on 19/4/10 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Have you done a firmware update to the router? Has the laptop done some windows updates? How new is it? What sort of security are you using on teh WLAN?

Now ill explain my questions

Have you done a firmare update? - Obvious really ALTHOUGH if its an G and N band router it may have dropped the G config and only be leaving the N on and older devices wont be able to see an N band WLAN only G band WLAN.
Has the laptop done some windows updates? - If they have updated the driver for the WLAN card they may have done something daft which leads onto the next...
What sort of security are you using on teh WLAN? - If you have WEP its less likely to be an issue but some older kit can really struggle with WPA enadled LANs i have had to switch back to WEP as a couple of older devices i have have wont keep up with WPA so i have them WEP'd up with a MAC filter inplace.

The one who dies with the most toys wins!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.