Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car Sound system advice.
bigandy

posted on 19/4/10 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Car Sound system advice.

Evening all,

I'm after a little advice on the sound system for my car (well, campervan actually), and I was wondering if anyone here was a little bit knowledgable when it comes to car audio?

I'm after something that I can play mp3 cds, music of memory sticks, listen to the radio, and most importantly, hook up my iPhone and listen to music from it in the Van. It would be really neat if I could also control the phone (i.e. make and receive calls) whilst it is hooked up, and even better if it was a bluetooth, or wireless connection.

On the output side of things, I want to be able to connect to a pair of speakers in the dashboard, a pair of speakers in the doors, and also have a couple of outputs to drive another pair of speakers, and a subwoofer in the rear (via a second amplifier probably).

The problem I am having is that there seems to be so much hype an marketing BS, I'm finding it difficult to identify the products that will do what I want.

Oh, and as always, I have quite a tight budget!

Any advice on decent shops, people to talk to, good products would be most welcome cheers!

Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

geeksandlies

posted on 19/4/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Budget please so many to choose this would help narrow it down am quite the audio enthusiast!

The one who dies with the most toys wins!

bigandy

posted on 19/4/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking at no more than £200 for the head unit/controller if possible, and the speakers/amp(s) for the rear, another £150 tops.

I am looking at secondhand gear for the speakers and amps for the rear, to try and save a few pennies, but the head unit/controller is what I am struggling with at the moment

Andy

richardR1

posted on 19/4/10 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Can thoroughly recommend one of these Linky, have got one fitted in the van. Will do everything you need to do, plays MP3, DVD, VCD's etc. Also got Aux in and USB in on the front, takes memory cards, extra inputs on the back - we have reversing camera in one which could be useful on a camper. Also bluetooth handsfree via touchscreen. Screen quality is superb and you can do dual zone so driver can be listening to the radio while those in the back could be listening to CD or watching DVD. It has very good power output but also pre-outs for extra amps etc. Picked up the matching eonon reversing camera on the bay for £15.

[Edited on 19/4/10 by richardR1]

[Edited on 19/4/10 by richardR1]

MK Owners Club Member 1015

stevebubs

posted on 19/4/10 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/car-audio.aspx/toronto-400-car-radio
rayward

posted on 19/4/10 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
i had the predecessor of this one, and can thoroughly recommend it, i had a seperate bluetooth adapter, but thie new model has parrot BT buit in

hth

Ray

dhutch

posted on 19/4/10 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Also very interested.
- Tried to look into this a few years ago and it was all a bit expensive or crap, but thats probably improved.

As the op has stated, mp3, on cd or usb, and a aux in is where its at.

Main thing i came up was that the navigation on cheaper ones falls to bits, which is not what you want when you have 30albums on a usb stick. Maybe the screen helps here?

Daniel

gottabedone

posted on 19/4/10 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Quite a big ask on a tight budget.

Have you thought about seperating the two ( phone and entertainment)

wifey has a Parrot Minikit - voice activated and ace. She also has a JVC USB headunit 5 way amp and 4 speakers plus sub. I've used the CD changer input to control the ipod and basic iphone functions. It's all controlled from the cars built in stereo control.
Combining the phone and audio in one head unit was just a nightmare

Ebay is your friend here as you can get speakers and cables at a decent price.

Steve

Vindi_andy

posted on 20/4/10 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
I picked up a medion head unit , from Aldi, which does everything you want regards media it will play and bluetooth.

Not sure about the outputs but it definately has front left right and rear left right outputs.

Was only £50 really upset the mechanic 2 doors down cos he had paid £250 for a sony unit to do the same

I didnt want to pay too much cos it was for the kit.

bigandy

posted on 20/4/10 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Oooh, I do like the look of the eonon systems on Ebay. They look like they will do everything I need (and a lot more too!), and fall within budget too! I can feel a few ebay bididng sessions coming up soon Having thought about it, I do like the idea of having a little DVD player in the van, I don't think I'll use it much, but for the camping trip when the weather is rubbish, you never know!

I have to admit, I'm not overly impressed with the big name offerings. To get the features I want usually means buying the "top end" system, which costs a fortune.

I did look at seperating out the phone and entertainment side of things, but I'm not sure really. It makes sense to keep everything in one place.

Cheers
Andy

serieslandy

posted on 20/4/10 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rayward
i had the predecessor of this one, and can thoroughly recommend it, i had a seperate bluetooth adapter, but thie new model has parrot BT buit in

hth

Ray

I also have a predecessor and is very good.

Was looking at this one last September to replace it but never actually bought one. I think it looks much nicer than the alpine.

Think you can also plug an iphone in with an extra cable (quite cheap)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.