Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Knackered compressor
PSpirine

posted on 15/12/10 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Knackered compressor

Took a gamble on a spares/repair compressor - symptoms suggested a faulty regulator/switch. Unfortunately after a bit of fettling, it struggles to go far above 60psi. Doesn't sound very bad, but just won't pressurise properly.

Whipped the head off (first time I've ever taken a compressor apart) and one of the reed valves (?) tha'ts shaped like an elongated D has a bit missing from it (approx 3mm in diameter chip) at the end where the ports are. So we've discovered the problem I think..

.. problem is it's a Nu-tools Nu-Air NA850 compressor, which I can't find any bloody record off! What are the chances of me finding one of these valve thingies? Alternatively.. is there anyway I can make one? It looks like it's just some sort of flexible 0.5mm(ish) steel, with two small 2mm holes for the locating dowels, and not much else complicated..

Cheers,
Pavs

rayward

posted on 15/12/10 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
nu tool is sometimes re branded nilfisk stuff, you might be able to make one from some shim steel if you can get some the right thickness

hth

Ray

Myke 2463

posted on 15/12/10 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pav.
Some of the older industrial refrigeration compressors use the same type of valve, check local scappy as they get weighed in. If no luck let me know of size and will check at work as we did have some scrap units.

Be Lucky Mike.

dave r

posted on 16/12/10 at 06:57 AM Reply With Quote
get a bit of shim, and get one laser /water cut

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

oadamo

posted on 16/12/10 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
last time my compressor broke just like yours i used a feeler gauge to fix it
adam

owelly

posted on 16/12/10 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Is there no way of fitting a non-return valve external to the head?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PSpirine

posted on 16/12/10 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses everyone! I don't have a micrometer to measure the thickness of the shim, but here's a photo on mm scale paper of it in case anybody recognises where I can get a replacement.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dVj938L-JzIkGdaY9DPZGQ?feat=directlink

Adam - that's a brilliant idea - what did you use to shape it? Did you just cut it with shears/chunky scissors? did you need to flatten it after?

After I fix it I'll have to take apart hte rest of the compressor casing to try and find the broken bit (don't want it causing damage, although in all likelyhood as it's on the exhaust port it's probably in the tank..)

Finally, is it okay to use cereal box cardboard to make gaskets for the compressor in case I tear one? I know it works well for inlet manifolds on old minis just not sure how well it would do for a compressor!

Cheers everyone

Pavs

NS Dev

posted on 17/12/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
yep cereal box is fine. If you're not sure wipe it over with silicone to make a very high tech "composite" gasket!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

sebastiaan

posted on 17/12/10 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
How about using an inlet membrane from a two stroke bike? A bit like this: http://www.honda-m-shop.nl/nl/105-membranen/894-membraanplaatset-malossi-3-diktes
PSpirine

posted on 12/1/11 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
It seems every compressor has a different design/shape of these valves (the last link included).

Feeler gauges seem like a brilliant idea but this valve is 19mm at it's widest point and all my feeler gauges are narrower than this.

Anybody have any shim steel or un-needed feeler gauges (approx 20mm by 50mm blank) that they could post to me for a quid? Obviously if anybody can actually cut me this valve (I can do a CAD sketchup), I'd be happy to pay a modest amount for it!

I'll measure the thickness at work tomorrow as I don't have a micrometer.

Incidentally, when cutting it out, do you just use snips?

Cheers everyone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.