Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats the secret to polishing ali...
scoop

posted on 24/4/11 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the secret to polishing ali...

Spent about 90 mins polishing the rear panel yesterday but just cant get rid of the swirl marks.
Cant decide whether im putting in the swirls whilst applying the autosol or when i take it off. Using a clean cloth to remove.
When i polished the tank i recall that i had to go over it about three times but didnt have the problem. Cant think i was doing anything differently.
Any help appreciated.

Canada EH!

posted on 24/4/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sneak into the kitchen, grab some flour, spread it on the polish before you wipe it off. It helps to draw the moisture out of the polish. Have many cloths because they will become filthy black from the ali oxide.
Rod Ends

posted on 24/4/11 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Your forgot the magic ingredient - old Y-fronts (Marks & Sparks only)
mistergrumpy

posted on 24/4/11 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
You have old under crackers? Wierd, mine last forever!
blakep82

posted on 24/4/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy

you wear undercrackers? weird. i haven't worn any for about 5 years now

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

smart51

posted on 25/4/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy

That's only because you never wash them!

scoop

posted on 25/4/11 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thats it. Thats the extent of your knowledge.
Is it because too many people are buying kits that are all grp and are no longer locost builders?

David Jenkins

posted on 25/4/11 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Ooh! That's a bit sharp!

The hint about using flour is spot on - I don't know why it works, but it does. Use your favourite polish (I use Meguires), rub it about until it's done its job, then rub off using a cloth dipped in flour.

You'll end up with bright and shiny aluminium panels, ready to annoy anyone following you when the sun's low!

Steve Hignett

posted on 25/4/11 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Err, could be...

Or, it may be that the most people that have spent the time to par-design a locost, then build a locost, then S/IVA a locost, then re-design a locost, then re-build a locost - seem to spend more time enjoying/driving their locosts....

That or they paint the Ali sides, or they realise the future is here (and has been for some time) and simply "Wrap" the Ali portions of the bodywork..........................................

AdrianH

posted on 25/4/11 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Having had bare aluminium panels and bonnet on the car for a year, being out in all weathers and cursing the time spent with Solvo-auotosol to get the panels back into a decent finish I finally gave in and had it sprayed. Silver.

How the likes of TrevD, 907 and I am sure others do it I am not sure, could one lacquer it?

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

Canada EH!

posted on 26/4/11 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
I learned about the flour when polishing my Cessna 140, now there's a lot of ali, finally got tired and painted it only because it was out in the weather all year round.
scoop

posted on 26/4/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Flour it is for now then.
Funnily enough i have just ordered some 3m 3d carbon effect vinyl to do some parts on the car. Depending on how a i get on with it i may consider wrapping the ali panels. The thought of doing the back panel is daunting though.
If i hadnt have spiced up the thread we would still be talking pants!
Cheers all.

Steve.W

posted on 17/3/12 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I just read the thread, very amusing, (and hi all This is my first post) and was going to suggest trying auto sol wax, I used it back in the 80's, don't know if its still available, I should of done a search before typing this do a search.

I'm just restoring a 97 Bandit, and polishing some Items, but I'm really worried about rain corrosion on the nice polished ali surfaces. I was trying to find solutions and found this thread.

Is there a long term method of protecting the surfaces, I dont want to keep polishing every two or three days.

Steve.

Chippy

posted on 17/3/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve, and welcome. I have used Meguires metal polish, and find that a quick rub over every six months or so keeps the shine good, as the polish leaves a protective coating on the panels. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Confused but excited.

posted on 17/3/12 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
There are loads of 'how to' vids on Youtube.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Steve.W

posted on 18/3/12 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the reply's.

Went to Halfords Yesterday and bought some chrome enamel spray paint.

When I came home, I sprayed the rear brake Master Cylinder, really impressive shiny finish.

So I did an experiment on the rear brake pedal, which I had polished Friday, and sprayed the back part of it. You cant tell the difference.

I'm in the middle of polishing the foot rest mounts, but think it'll be better if I spray them with this paint.
The muck and crud on the roads, I need long term protection, so sadly, I'll go with the chrome paint for now.

The one thing I dread is Ali corrosion after rain.

Had a bad experience a long time ago.
I polished the engine casings, and front fork lowers on a Suzuki T500 two stroke, back in 1978-79.
They came out well, but found after riding in rain, I had small white patches, which when I polished out, left me with 1/4 inch kind of pitted surfaces. Had to re-sand/emery and polish out.
That's when I used the Autosol wax, it worked fine, but had to re-apply every other week.

Had an accident already, I was refurbishing the spring of the mono shock, I painted it red.
It was a windy night, and was working in my shed straying outwards through the open door.
The Wind swirled the droplets of paint around the garden and splatted it all over the petrol tank on the Bandit, which was about 20 or so feet away from the shed.
I had the tank restored last summer, and its got an hard Lacquer finish, so I'll have to re-visit the gut's that sprayed it, for help on that one. I bought some Black T cut yesterday so I'll try that 1st.

Steve.

jacko

posted on 18/3/12 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

You should ask Trev D on here he must know
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 18/3/12 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve.W
Cheers for the reply's.

Went to Halfords Yesterday and bought some chrome enamel spray paint.

When I came home, I sprayed the rear brake Master Cylinder, really impressive shiny finish.

So I did an experiment on the rear brake pedal, which I had polished Friday, and sprayed the back part of it. You cant tell the difference.

I'm in the middle of polishing the foot rest mounts, but think it'll be better if I spray them with this paint.
The muck and crud on the roads, I need long term protection, so sadly, I'll go with the chrome paint for now.

The one thing I dread is Ali corrosion after rain.

Had a bad experience a long time ago.
I polished the engine casings, and front fork lowers on a Suzuki T500 two stroke, back in 1978-79.
They came out well, but found after riding in rain, I had small white patches, which when I polished out, left me with 1/4 inch kind of pitted surfaces. Had to re-sand/emery and polish out.
That's when I used the Autosol wax, it worked fine, but had to re-apply every other week.

Had an accident already, I was refurbishing the spring of the mono shock, I painted it red.
It was a windy night, and was working in my shed straying outwards through the open door.
The Wind swirled the droplets of paint around the garden and splatted it all over the petrol tank on the Bandit, which was about 20 or so feet away from the shed.
I had the tank restored last summer, and its got an hard Lacquer finish, so I'll have to re-visit the gut's that sprayed it, for help on that one. I bought some Black T cut yesterday so I'll try that 1st.

Never had any luck with "chrome" paint, try rubbing it with a cloth to see if it damages the finish, usually does
I had a T500 back in the early 70's, loved that bike
T500 at Cadwell 1
T500 at Cadwell 1

scoop

posted on 18/3/12 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Jack, that is sunning. How pleased would you be to have that in the garage? Love the roof etc
FuryRebuild

posted on 19/3/12 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
my results with polishing ali

Hi All

I couldn't upload my photos to the site (I think I understand the issues now) but I've got a list of techniques I've tried on my blog ()click me.

Any feedback is welcome.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Steve.W

posted on 22/3/12 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
This was the Bandit foot rest I was polishing, and polished the rear brake pedal.
Then sprayed with Halfords Chrome enamal paint, then lacquered.
Came up well.

Did the other side the same.

Still not confident with polished Ali, without a guaranteed protection against oxidization.
One day I'll have them plated.

Bandit, still has a couple of Items to resolve, but its been off the road since September, with ware of the Suspention Linkage Fastening holes, and unable to remove the bolts. Ended up Drilling, then welding up the ware then re-drilling.

Fitted a Hugger and top box yesterday and its looking good.

Sorry pics are small, not sure what I'm doing.

[Edited on 22/3/12 by Steve.W]

Steve.

Peter Perfect

posted on 25/3/12 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all

Scoop

The only sure way to get rid of markings is the use of a very fine abrassive, so I guess the flour trick may work. Im looking for a way of pr
potecting highly polished metal and have come across blackfire all metal sealent. I havent used it so wouldnt say it works but the description looks promising, its meant to protect highly polished bare metal surfaces against the harmful effects of road salt, soot, bug splatter and UV radiation

Here is a link to s site selling it

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/blackfire-all-metal-sealant-cat20.html

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.