Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance Proceedure
DorsetStrider

posted on 29/4/11 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance Proceedure

Hey guys.

Had a bit of an accident in my 3 week old tin top and need some advice.

I say I've had an accident but actaully it was someone else, I was parked in B&Q car park while I borrowed their rental van. Collected some bits from the store, loaded the van and drove home. After i unloaded I drove back to the store and found my car missing it's front bumper and a pair of security guards standing over it.

Apparently a horsebox (WTF!) that was parked beside it (not when I parked up it wasn't) ripped off the front bumper when pulling away. The person left her details with security so I have her name, registration, and insurance company name.

I've taken pictures of the car as I found it, clearing showing it parked correctly in a parking bay and the damage. And I've tried phoning my insurance company but alas with it being a bank holiday no one will be there till tomorrow.

Can anyone else think of anything I need to/should do? Thanks in advance.

Chuffing annoyed in Dorset!

Who the f**K tightened this up!

hucky

posted on 29/4/11 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
has the person left a contact number you can get them on? maybe offer to try sort things out avoiding insurace?
jollygreengiant

posted on 29/4/11 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
The likely reply from your insurance company is that of
'So this happened in the car park of a shop, then I'm sorry but you will have to sort it out personally as your only covered for use on a public highway and this incident occured on private property/land and is therefore not covered.'

Mutter mutter mutter from your self.

'I'm sorry but that is our possition on this matter. Is there anything else I can help you with today. No. The goodbye.' CLICK.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Mark Allanson

posted on 29/4/11 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
It will be covered, the public highway as any place that might reasonably and lawfully be accessed by the public, this includes carparks. Try to get the insurance details of the other party, they will fall over themselves to sort it before you go to a credit hire company to get it sorted (which would cost them ten fold). If you get problems, U2U me - its part of my day job

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

RickRick

posted on 29/4/11 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
yup covered, i backed out into a speeding car, probably doing 25 on a 5mph on site carpark, but that's not really the point, my insurance company paid out, my repair bill was for a rear light £110 at insurance prices, some how he managed to claim for over 6k of damage
DorsetStrider

posted on 29/4/11 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the details she left with security.

For the record it was MY vehicle that was damaged not the rented van.

My vehicle was parked correctly (I have photos to prove this) at the time and as such was stationary.

She ripped the front bumper off with a horsebox apparently. As far as I know there was no damage to her vehicle.

It's just a bit of a sickener since I only took collection of the vehicle from the dealers on 5/4/2011.
[Edited on 29/4/11 by DorsetStrider]

[Edited on 29/4/11 by DorsetStrider]

James

posted on 29/4/11 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Even if it's not your fault a claim (against her insurance) can cause problems for you in future. *Any* claim can cause yours to go up. I know someone who was no longer able to protect her no claims after a non-fault claim.

If you possibly can then I would see about sorting it out privately. It will be cheaper for her in the long run and potenially cheaper for you too.

She's been good enough to leave her details (when she could have just legged it!) so I would see if you can work it out amicably and not involve insurance.

Go to a repair place or 2 and get some quotes for the repair. Then see if she would rather pay for the work than pay in future with increased premiums.

All the best getting it sorted.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

plentywahalla

posted on 29/4/11 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Same thing happened to my Merc SL in a restaurant car park. Drivers door stoved in by another car who did a runner and didn't have the decency to leave any details.

My insurance (Zurich) paid up, no quibbles and recorded as 'no fault claim' it didn't effect my NCD.

I hope it works out for you too.

DorsetStrider

posted on 30/4/11 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Even if it's not your fault a claim (against her insurance) can cause problems for you in future. *Any* claim can cause yours to go up. I know someone who was no longer able to protect her no claims after a non-fault claim.

If you possibly can then I would see about sorting it out privately. It will be cheaper for her in the long run and potenially cheaper for you too.

She's been good enough to leave her details (when she could have just legged it!) so I would see if you can work it out amicably and not involve insurance.

Go to a repair place or 2 and get some quotes for the repair. Then see if she would rather pay for the work than pay in future with increased premiums.

All the best getting it sorted.

Cheers,
James

I wouldn't mind sorting it out privately... there is no damage to the main body of the car, just needs a new body coloured bumper, bumper support, and front fog.

Trouble is she has not left me a contact number, just her name, car registration and insurers name.

I've spoken to her insurer this morning and told them that I'd be happy to sort it out privately but she hasn't contacted them yet and they (for obvious reasons) can't give out her contact details. They have advised to call back on wednesday and she if she has notified them by then.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.