Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wtd. Locost Sky TV
owelly

posted on 14/8/11 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Wtd. Locost Sky TV

I'm wanting to watch a couple of programmes on Sky1 but to sign up for Sky where I am will cost me the best part of £35 per month for a 12 month contract which is out of the question for two reasons. 1. I'm too tight to pay that just to watch the few episodes and 2. I'm still too tight to pay to watch the few episodes.....
I already have Freesat so have the dish already so can I just buy a second hand Sky box, plug it in and off we go? Or do I need to sign my life away to Sky?
PS. I'm on telly, Sky1, 29th August.......

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 14/8/11 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
There are feeds on the internet but these are usually for significant sporting events, but you may get lucky, easiest would be for somebody to tape it for you.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 14/8/11 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I need to be able to watch episode three live! The local pub offered to show the episode in their function room but now 'my' episode has changed to a bank holiday so the pub can't host our 'do'. And I have dozens of chums coming over to watch it!

DixieTheKid

posted on 14/8/11 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Get an old sky box and any old card to go in it, it will give you most of the freeview channels and im 60% sure Sky1 is on of them. Dont connect it to the telephone wire, if you cant get you hands on an old sky card then ring sky and ask to purchase a freeview card. Its a one off payment of £15.

You might just want to check that Sky1 is one of them channels you get. Im sure it is.

COS IT'S Worth IT

Mr G

posted on 14/8/11 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
No you can't get sky1 without a subscription.

Get someone who has sky1, a 'video in' on their pc and an average broadband connection to stream it for you using justin.tv or similar.

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

owelly

posted on 14/8/11 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
OK, so if I get a second hand Skybox and then borrow a card from a friendly chum, will that get me Sky1?

DixieTheKid

posted on 14/8/11 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
He's right, ive just tried it with my old card. You can get some channels but sky1 isnt one sorry!

COS IT'S Worth IT

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/8/11 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
borrow someones sky card for the evening,

[Edited on 14/8/11 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

DixieTheKid

posted on 14/8/11 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
OK, so if I get a second hand Skybox and then borrow a card from a friendly chum, will that get me Sky1?

That wont work, sky boxes and cards are mated to each other. Plus boxes and HD boxes are for sure. It might work with and early box.................

COS IT'S Worth IT

phoenix70

posted on 14/8/11 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DixieTheKid
quote:

That wont work, sky boxes and cards are mated to each other. Plus boxes and HD boxes are for sure. It might work with and early box.................

+1

All digital boxes are mated with their cards, so it won't work, but if you can borrow a card from someone, just borrow there box to go with it.

whitstella

posted on 14/8/11 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
hi

yes you can borrow a mates card and sky 1 will work but you can not get movies and sports, you get all the others channels kids music ete if he has subscribe to them. i have a sky box down stair which i subscribe to certain packs and have sky box up stairs (free sat) so when i'm not recording downstairs i just take the card upstairs and get the channel i subscribe too.

steve

Mr G

posted on 14/8/11 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah as other people have mentioned you can put someone elses a sky card which has a subscription into your own box to recieved the channels they get except sport and movies.

The only time this doesn't work is when they are sending out new cards to all subscribers. They stop it working then to stop people giving their old cards to friends/family before they are deactivated.

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Surrey Dave

posted on 14/8/11 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sky Player

If you have a friend with Sky they could let you logon to Skyplayer with their settings then you can watch any of their channels online, or you could agree to share the package and both get Sky for 1/2 price.
Pezza

posted on 14/8/11 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
tvtorrents.com all you need for regular tv progs.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

owelly

posted on 14/8/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies guys. I'll endeavour to borrow a box and card.
Did I mention I'm on telly?.....

RichardK

posted on 14/8/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Why you been looting?

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

Dangle_kt

posted on 14/8/11 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
Why you been looting?

owelly

posted on 14/8/11 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah. I looted Greggs and I still have 250 tepid pasties to each...

blakep82

posted on 14/8/11 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
i worked for sky for a bit, as said borrow a card and use your box, however when people say you will only be missing movies and sports isn't quite true all the time.
cards and boxes need to be paired together to work properly, sometimes it works fine without, but spoke to about 20 people every day saying 'sky cut them off' when it turned out they swapped their box and nothing (except the usual freeview channels) worked

but why would it cost you 35 a month? should be 19.50 a month (i think)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 15/8/11 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
Box and card are paired up... Don't worry about the telephone connection as it takes a while for sky to poll the box and send a letter asking if their box is in Spain ?

There is no cheap way for pay tv
Torrents cost time and bandwidth
A motorized dish and receiver require expensive cams and cards that have a 50/50 chance of having an ECM take them out
The equipment cost was a factor as was the time searching for the programming
Oh a super fast computer to generate the new algorithm and reprogram the card.
It's a full time hobby just keeping the hacks going.
Oh unless you are lucky enough to speak German or dutch as as a second language factor in a college language course.
Virgin do cheap packs but it would be a cabled area only. Hacked boxes won't work
Due to ECM s

MikeRJ

posted on 15/8/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yeah. I looted Greggs and I still have 250 tepid pasties to each...

I heard you looted Argos and and made off with 200 catalogues

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.