Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Bend back, or replace?
David Jenkins

posted on 14/6/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Bend back, or replace?

As reported elsewhere, I had a mishap yesterday.

The only significant chassis damage is the upright FU2, which supports the upper suspension arm at the back. This is what it looks like at the moment:

I now have a choice - do I try to bend it back (it's not bent much) or do I replace it?

Replacement is going to be a total PITA, and will probably involve cutting away some of the ali side panel so that I can weld properly. It will also be very difficult to get the MIG torch in there.

My brain tells me that it should be replaced, but I don't know if I'm being over-cautious. After all, they pull tin-top chassis back into shape using chains and winches!

All views and opinions appreciated...

BTW: This is what happened to the top ball joint!

MakeEverything

posted on 14/6/12 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
The difference between this and a tintop chassis, is that its tubular and normal cars are pressed panels and monocoque. If i was going to leave it in and bend it back i think i would strip its coating, take the panel off anyway to see every angle of the metal and any potential stress areas. Then, i suppose if youre doing that, you may as well replace it.

In short; i would replace it. It will be weaker next time (if) it happens.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/6/12 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
yeah I'd replace that too, even with heat you'd never get it perfectly straight and would always look wrong. There are some on line steel supply shops that will sell tube by the meter

Do get a steel rule and lay it against the other tubes once you have removed it to check that they are all straight

[Edited on 14/6/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 14/6/12 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Replacement gives peace of mind that all right before you head down a twisty lane.

ATB Dan

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 14/6/12 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
There are some on line steel supply shops that will sell tube by the meter

I think I've still got some odd bits... if you pardon the expression!

wilkingj

posted on 14/6/12 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Its already been stressed.
Bending it back will stress it more.

I would cut it out and replace it.

You know it makes sense.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

David Jenkins

posted on 14/6/12 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Its already been stressed.
Bending it back will stress it more.

I would cut it out and replace it.

You know it makes sense.

You're right - but I just know it's going to be a PITA to weld.

perksy

posted on 14/6/12 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Know its a pain, but like everybody else above i'd replace it

Once its done you won't have any lingering doubt in the back of your mind

David Jenkins

posted on 14/6/12 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
OK - it looks like it's going to be a replacement...

Now - are those air-powered reciprocating saws any good? It's not going to be easy to get in there with anything else, and I'm always looking for an excuse for new toys!

MakeEverything

posted on 14/6/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I would use an air cut off disk, for precision. IVe got both, and the recip. saw is a little coarse.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/6/12 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
I would use an air cut off disk, for precision. IVe got both, and the recip. saw is a little coarse.

Already got one of them - I find that it stalls really easily and doesn't cut too well. The reason for mentioning the saw is because of access space - it's a bit crowded around the base of the chassis member.

Anyway - I wasn't expecting precision - I was going to cut off close to the end and grind the remainder flat.

MakeEverything

posted on 14/6/12 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything

Already got one of them - I find that it stalls really easily and doesn't cut too well. The reason for mentioning the saw is because of access space - it's a bit crowded around the base of the chassis member.

Anyway - I wasn't expecting precision - I was going to cut off close to the end and grind the remainder flat.

Yes, you have to be a bit gentle with them and let the disc do the work rather than the force.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/6/12 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I cut up 2 mx5's in an afternoon with 110v dewalt recip, they are unbelievable, that tube will not last 5 seconds!!!

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

ditchlewis

posted on 14/6/12 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
your car is so good you would not feel happy in the long run if you did not do the job properly.

i,ve got one of those air saws that look like a gun. if its any use you can borrow it.

ditch

rusty nuts

posted on 14/6/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just to go against the flow, sort of , I might be tempted to straighten it out before cutting it out. At least that way the other chassis members will be back in position if they are out now?
MikeRJ

posted on 14/6/12 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Now - are those air-powered reciprocating saws any good? It's not going to be easy to get in there with anything else, and I'm always looking for an excuse for new toys!

They are very useful bits of kit for these sort of situations where there simply isn't room to swing a hacksaw around. Good for chopping exhaust sections out as well.

Alan B

posted on 14/6/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Just to go against the flow, sort of , I might be tempted to straighten it out before cutting it out. At least that way the other chassis members will be back in position if they are out now?

I'd agree with this if it's not too bent or the walls of the tube aren't buckled especially if you can safely get some heat into the affected area.

bi22le

posted on 14/6/12 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

I'd agree with this if it's not too bent or the walls of the tube aren't buckled especially if you can safely get some heat into the affected area.

This was my gut feeling too after the reading the OP. The member does not look too bent so have a good look in it. Any signs of fracture or creases?

If your still not at ease after bending it back due to knowing its been bent once then reinforce it in a way thats easier to do. Then if your going to do that or be worried about a slight weakness then where do you stop? You must be confident all your welding is 100% perfect and the chassis is great in an impact to be worried about the potential weaknesses shown by

Does welding, applying heavy force, reheating through removal and then rewelding another bit on not just weaken the other members anyway?

Just my imidiate thoughts

Biz

[Edited on 14/6/12 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

rusty nuts

posted on 14/6/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an air saw thats a bit better than the pistol grip type you can borrow if you want it David but I won't be back at work until Monday. Going to arrange to meet up with Paul in the very near future and can take it along then if thats any help
David Jenkins

posted on 14/6/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mel - but I've been thinking of getting one of these for quite a while, so now I have an excuse!

As for bending back - the only way I'm going to be able to do it without stressing other chassis members is to put a block of metal on one side and whack it with a heavy hammer. I could hook a bar onto it to pull it back into shape but then I have to provide a fulcrum somewhere on the chassis, which is likely to risk damage to something else.

I suppose I could put a really solid bar on the concave side and use a strong clamp to pull it into shape...

Decisions, decisions...

I'll keep thinking about it (and listening to the opinions of others) while I strip everything down ready for action. I've got a day or two to go yet.

[Edited on 14/6/12 by David Jenkins]

nick205

posted on 14/6/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Not wanting to be down beat David, but after a similar incident in my Indy I thought I'd got away with a bent lower wishbone. On full inspection, pretty much all the tubes on that front corner had some deformation. This took a steel rule to identify properly. In my case the damage was very minor and a replacement wishbone was easily fitted. However the front geometry was thrown out quite significantly.

I'd strip it back and check very carefully for any further damage bfore starting repairs.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/6/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've already been round with a straight edge - it's OK apart from the obvious damage, thankfully. I've still got to go over the engine compartment with a tape measure though, in case it's gone out of shape. I still need to have a closer look at some components and welds, just to be sure.

iank

posted on 14/6/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to read about the bang, it's always a horrible feeling.

Is that powdercoat on the bent tube? If so I'd be concerned for the longer term as coming off in big sheets means it's not sticking to the metal well enough and any water getting through a scratch/pinhole can rust silently underneath it. It will also make the repair more of a pain ;(

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

mark chandler

posted on 14/6/12 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Smashing with a big hammer is not the way to go, the secret to straightening things is to do the opposite of what caused them, pull or push in the opposite direction.

Use a slide hammer bolted to the bracket that was pushed to deform in the first place, I think you may be surprised at how easily this may straighten out. You may need to put in a cut with saw on the inside face and 3/4 way through at the apex of the bend so it flexes back with greater ease, then just weld this closed and grind flat.

If this fails get some blocks of wood and arrrange on the opposite side of the chassis so you can push out with a ram or small bottle jack.

If still worried then brace across the suspension brackets, use an off cut and weld an eye on each end so you can bolt across the frame and brace to bracket to its opposite side on the bush bolts.

Even if you decide to replace you really need to straighten in the first instance to reset the chassis.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 14/6/12 by mark chandler]

coyoteboy

posted on 15/6/12 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
I think several other tubes in that area will be bent also, personally I'd check all nodes and remove elements back to the next unmoved node
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.