Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: time for a new pc, any recommendations ?
clanger

posted on 2/4/13 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
time for a new pc, any recommendations ?

time to upgrade to a new system........current one (circa 5-6years) is getting on a bit and getting increasingly clogged, clunky and frustratingly slow

just want good browsing speed/capability, bit of I-player watching, bit of Mp3 playing, online radio listenting, usual office stuff, downloading pictures from camera etc, etc, nothing to exciting........don't do gaming, video editing, streaming films, file sharing, etc etc, saying that daughter is off to Uni this year so missus might want a bit of webcam action to keep in touch (now, now, not that type of action!!!)

not one for visiting PC world etc, to be bombarded with gigabytes this megabytes that, just want reliable, delivered to the door system I can plug and play...........for that reason have always had Dell systems, which tended to be on offer at the time and have suited my requirements great,

budget............about £750 is suppose???? with a monitor

any suggestions??? lets hear them !!!

cheers

dave_424

posted on 2/4/13 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
I would really suggest building a PC.

People are always put off buy the though of building their own PC, however these days everything has a set standard so basically it is just a large meccano set. Screw in this, plug in that, clip that in. £750 with a monitor on a self built machine can net you a PC better than what PC world has to offer.

Not Anumber

posted on 2/4/13 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for buildng your own PC everytime.

Make sure the RAM and processor are compatible with the motherboard you choose and the rest is easy.

Building one yourself is more satisfying and that way you know you can always upgrade bits as and when you need to. It also allows you to make the choices and spend the money on where it's needed. For instance if you aren't into particularly graphics intensive gaming theres little point in spending the earth on a very high spec graphics card so you could save money in this area and spend it on more RAM or a better monitor instead.

dave_424

posted on 2/4/13 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
One thing also to add is that most PC parts places have bundles that usually include a motherboard, processor and some ram, then also you can get bundle cases that include a power supply. Then basically you just need to choose how much hard drive space you want and if you want a CD drive or not.

Dave

Opirun

posted on 2/4/13 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Also +1, for building your own PC, when you do, you will probably wonder why you ever bought pre-built ones. Hop over to http://www.overclockers.com/forums/ and post your requirements, this is why I started and found the help on there really useful. Sometimes people even post a complete build list to fit your requirements.

All the best!

[Edited on 2/4/13 by Opirun]

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 2/4/13 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Buy one of these : http://www.ebuyer.com/443470-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-1081 - £199

Get a Logitech C270 webcam : http://www.ebuyer.com/230435-logitech-c270-hd-webcam-720p-hd-video-usb-960-000582 - £22

Samsung LED Monitor : http://www.ebuyer.com/368395-samsung-s22b300b-21-5-led-lcd-dvi-monitor-ls22b300bs-en - £136

Because you're daughter is a Student, you can get the student edition of Windows & Office. Don't get windows 8... it's like nothing you have ever seen before !! - should be < £100 ???

I've got pretty much the setup above and it's superb. I admit, I don't play games - just spreadsheets and documents + some web browsing and iplayer also use skype a lot to speak to my family.

One thing to note - my monitor doesn't have the mounts on the back so I can put it on a wall - other than that, it's great.

All in approx, £400 - use the other £350 for something new in the garage

Slimy38

posted on 2/4/13 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
I will go against the majority and say go for pre-built. Last time I priced up a pre-built versus components there really wasn't much in it. I only buy components because I rarely need to replace everything at one time, but when my mate wanted a full PC I just sent him over to Dell. They do pretty decent kit for a good price, and take a lot of hassle over matching components. Zoostorm (as linked by Barkalarr) are also very good at putting together high spec hardware that is difficult/impossible to beat in component form.

I'd like to throw something else into the mix, have you considered a laptop rather than a desktop? For £750 you could get a pretty good laptop, and while they aren't for some people they are so much more convenient. I'm writing this sat in front of the telly downstairs, rather than being stuck in the cupboard upstairs where my main PC is.

Opirun

posted on 2/4/13 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Slimy38 in that your will not save much (in some cases even spent slightly more in custom built PC's), however the key in that in the long run you will save by not having to keep rebuying new PC's and throwing away components only to purchase similar ones to replace them (a DVD drive is a good example of this). Also you can do the repairs and upgrades yourself.

Therefore it really depends on you as an individual and how much time you want to spend on this project.

Personally, I would not buy cheap brand PC's, I have had bad experiences with them, but know others who have had no problems. For example, what some people don't realise is that cheap and mass PC builders use the cheapest of ATX power supplies, which can be very unstable, then a few months or even just over a year later there PC goes bonkers and they don't know why. Of course this can happen to many PC's but you need to be aware of it.

I have had good experiences with Dell laptops, so as Slimy38, mentioned you might want to consider this as an option. These days it seems that gap of Price-Spec of laptop vs PC's is getting much smaller.

All the best with it all !

[Edited on 2/4/13 by Opirun]

Opirun

posted on 2/4/13 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps we are getting a little carried away with selling a custom PC option based on the op's comment:

quote:

just want reliable, delivered to the door system I can plug and play

Building your own PC requires a little more than this, you might also want to consider windows 8 tablets and touch screen laptops.

Slimy38

posted on 2/4/13 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Opirun
I agree with Slimy38 in that your will not save much (in some cases even spent slightly more in custom built PC's), however the key in that in the long run you will save by not having to keep rebuying new PC's and throwing away components only to purchase similar ones to replace them (a DVD drive is a good example of this). Also you can do the repairs and upgrades yourself.

You do have a valid point, it's difficult to replace components of a prebuilt PC if you ever want a part upgrade in the future. Dell's are particularly bad at using very bespoke kit (or at least they used to be), even adding hard drives is more difficult than it should be. From memory I believe the zoostorms aren't as bad, they tend to be based on off-the-shelf components and are easier to chop and change.

Jasper

posted on 2/4/13 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a business spec PC for my shop from Dell about 4-5 years ago for about £450 (no monitor) and it has never missed a beat, never crashes, it's still plenty fast enough and does everything I want (email, web, music, iplayer, photoshop etc).

I would buy another one straight away. However for my home when I wanted something a bit more special I built my own - it's definitely not been as reliable!

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Not Anumber

posted on 2/4/13 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
When i was an IT manager i often procured batches of 20 or so Dell PCs when it was time to refresh a department's desktops - until i had a very bad experience with quality control that Dell quite refused to acknowledge despite it being common knowledge.
We are talking Rover head gasket levels of corporate of refusing to acknowledge a problem. Just Google for Dell capacitor issue and you will see what i mean. Thats why i always build my own PCs.

madmandegge

posted on 2/4/13 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clanger
time to upgrade to a new system........current one (circa 5-6years) is getting on a bit and getting increasingly clogged, clunky and frustratingly slow

just want good browsing speed/capability, bit of I-player watching, bit of Mp3 playing, online radio listenting, usual office stuff, downloading pictures from camera etc, etc, nothing to exciting........don't do gaming, video editing, streaming films, file sharing, etc etc, saying that daughter is off to Uni this year so missus might want a bit of webcam action to keep in touch (now, now, not that type of action!!!)

not one for visiting PC world etc, to be bombarded with gigabytes this megabytes that, just want reliable, delivered to the door system I can plug and play...........for that reason have always had Dell systems, which tended to be on offer at the time and have suited my requirements great,

budget............about £750 is suppose???? with a monitor

any suggestions??? lets hear them !!!

cheers

I'd think you could find something to do all of the above easily for £300 to £400, maybe a bit more if you want a decent monitor. Is there anything wrong with the existing monitor or do you just want to replace the whole lot? If you've got the time to do it building your own would certainly be good practice, it never hurts to know how it all goes together.

I'd say a laptop might be the way to go, in which case go for a large manufacturer, either Dell, Lenovo, Samsung etc. I know Dell technical support are fairly consistent and using them at work and at home I've never had massive problems with them.

Depending on how happy you are picking a machine, Dell's outlet frequently have good machines. The Outlet machines are usually machines that have been returned, some have minor scratches other are brand new. This might also be one of the only ways to buy a laptop that still has Windows 7 installed. I've ordered a few laptops directly from the Outlet and have never had a problem with them.

If you feel like risking a visit to PC World, they do stock dell units in store. You could go and test out the machine, find the one you want then locate it on the Outlet store and buy from there?

madmandegge

posted on 2/4/13 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
When i was an IT manager i often procured batches of 20 or so Dell PCs when it was time to refresh a department's desktops - until i had a very bad experience with quality control that Dell quite refused to acknowledge despite it being common knowledge.
We are talking Rover head gasket levels of corporate of refusing to acknowledge a problem. Just Google for Dell capacitor issue and you will see what i mean. Thats why i always build my own PCs.

Strange, we had the same issues (leaking capacitors) with GX260/270 machines and the motherboards were all replaced, both inside and outside warranty without any arguing?

mad4x4

posted on 2/4/13 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for Build for Personal Use

For Industrial apps we'll buy pre assembled industrial spec units.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

phelpsa

posted on 2/4/13 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've got Dell XPS desktop and laptop ('ultrabook' and they've both been excellent.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clanger

posted on 2/4/13 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the input all, not really wanting to build my own, not that it would be a problem. have updgraded bits and bobs on this one since i had it

just the thought of endless hours researching whats best/not compatible would drive me nuts...........................takes my 2 hours googling to decide what clip to use on a fuel pipe that nobody will see these days

time i research stuff i know very little about the stuff i get will be way out of date..............and my car will still be in bits

probably stick with dell, as i've had good service in the past...........(jinxed that now LOL)

Opirun

posted on 3/4/13 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

just the thought of endless hours researching whats best/not compatible would drive me nuts...........................takes my 2 hours googling to decide what clip to use on a fuel pipe that nobody will see these days

haha, I know the feeling.

For what I have read from your requirements and approach, I do think you are making the right choice (for you), in buying a prebuilt. But building your own is something you might want to consider in the future.

In terms of Dell vs others, I don't think you can go too far wrong with Dell, just make sure when you buy the machine that you do what ever you can to get a clean CD/DVD of Windows, and not rely on the annoying restore software. Sometimes they don't supply this as standard with machines.

fesycresy

posted on 3/4/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think I'd buy another pc, laptops all the way these days for me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

dhutch

posted on 3/4/13 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
Buy one of these : http://www.ebuyer.com/443470-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-1081 - £199

Get a Logitech C270 webcam : http://www.ebuyer.com/230435-logitech-c270-hd-webcam-720p-hd-video-usb-960-000582 - £22

Samsung LED Monitor : http://www.ebuyer.com/368395-samsung-s22b300b-21-5-led-lcd-dvi-monitor-ls22b300bs-en - £136

Ive got that webcam!

My dad bought himself a Shuttle XS35GSV2 about a year ago, its barebones and he has some issues getting his solidstate disk of choice to work well, but its a very nice looking peice of kit and being fanless is totally silent which you really get used to and im considering getting one the same for myself.

Nice LCD/LED moniter, or in may case, a pair of.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.