Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA and VIN request
theduck

posted on 10/5/13 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA and VIN request

Sent a VIN request letter to my local office who today called me to confirm some details, including was kit built(all new parts) or kit conversion(donor vehicle) confirmed kit conversion and new chassis and that I had v5. They then said would send me a letter with vin and details of "what else they require". Anyone else got a vin this way and what else did they ask for?
AndyW

posted on 10/5/13 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just got my vin today. I just sent a letter saying I was building a kit and they issued a vin. The letter asked me to get a garage to stamp it into the chassis then confirm when this had been done. then they said when I register they might want to see it. Thats it. I will try and scan the letter to show what I got back!
40inches

posted on 10/5/13 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
No need to get a VIN from DVLA, make your own up.

Shorty

posted on 10/5/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I did exactly as you have and received a vin number pretty quickly.
The letter I used was a template from the haynes roadster forum and using a sierra donor if that makes a difference.
I didn't have to give any other info

theduck

posted on 10/5/13 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
It was the template from the Haynes roadster forum I used to. Very strange, will see what turns up.
AndyW

posted on 10/5/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I too used a version of that template, just under 1 week chassis number arrived
plantman

posted on 10/5/13 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
i asked the dvla for a vin they just sent me a vin number ......................took them 8 weeks
Stott

posted on 10/5/13 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I just made mine up, it included RHSC for robin hood sports cars, then my date of birth and some random numbers and some relating to the model number and it was all good, Cardiff DVLA are good like that
40inches

posted on 10/5/13 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stott
I just made mine up, it included RHSC for robin hood sports cars, then my date of birth and some random numbers and some relating to the model number and it was all good, Cardiff DVLA are good like that

Yep, did the same S for country of origin MKSC for MK Sports Cars, date of birth then random numbers. How did the notion that only DVLA can issue VIN numbers come about?

Shorty

posted on 10/5/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well I suppose it takes the guess work out just incase your number already exists.
Also I'm not sure how that would work with the haynes roadster (and locost) not being from an actual manufacturer and mostly completely home made.
I'm not sure what the letters stand for but mine starts SABTVR....

theduck

posted on 10/5/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
quote:

Yep, did the same S for country of origin MKSC for MK Sports Cars, date of birth then random numbers. How did the notion that only DVLA can issue VIN numbers come about?

I knew I could make one up, but my luck is so poor picking lottery numbers you could guarantee I'd pick an already existing vin!

40inches

posted on 10/5/13 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
quote:
quote:

I knew I could make one up, but my luck is so poor picking lottery numbers you could guarantee I'd pick an already existing vin!

40inches

posted on 10/5/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shorty
Well I suppose it takes the guess work out just incase your number already exists.
Also I'm not sure how that would work with the haynes roadster (and locost) not being from an actual manufacturer and mostly completely home made.

S stands for UK, the rest will just be random.

AndyW

posted on 10/5/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shorty

S stands for UK, the rest will just be random.

not that random, as mine too starts with SABTVR....

RichardK

posted on 11/5/13 at 02:42 AM Reply With Quote
No not random at all and pretty standard now across the globe, as I made mine up yes is was ok with dvla but when trying to get in imported into Oz is was another hurdle to overcome as it was apparently manufacture by some weird subsidiary of the Kawasaki Motorcycle company!, if I was doing it again I'd just get them to issue you one, would save any possible hassle later on.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scimjim

posted on 11/5/13 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
The DVLA VIN is 17 digit but doesn't fully follow the international standard. I got this answer when I enquired about a Scimitar with a SABTVR VIN (presumably it had been reshelled/rebuilt):

SABT = DVLA issued number (SA = UK)
VRO = issued from a local office
XXX (8-10) = number of the issuing office
x (11th) = year of VIN issue
xxx (12-13) = issue date (month/week?)
xxx (15-17) = Unique serial number.

[Edited on 11/5/13 by scimjim]

theduck

posted on 14/5/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Got my letter today with VIN number and a slip at the bottom to get a garage to sign to say number has been added to the chassis. Also included a V55/5 and V627/1 to complete and return with the skip to confirm the vin has been added to the chassis? Surely these are done after IVA? Won't be able to speak to him now until Friday so will call him and query.
scimjim

posted on 24/5/13 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
spot the typo in my original post (can't edit it for some reason?) - corrected below:

The DVLA VIN is 17 digit but doesn't fully follow the international standard. I got this answer when I enquired about a Scimitar with a SABTVR VIN (presumably it had been reshelled/rebuilt):

SABT = DVLA issued number (SA = UK)
VRO = issued from a local office
XXX (8-10) = number of the issuing office
x (11th) = year of VIN issue
xx (12-13) = issue date (week?)
xxxx (14-17) = Unique serial number (in the case of the Scimitar in question, they had used the last 4 from the original car).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.