Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front Garden Garages and Planning Permission
Irony

posted on 17/7/13 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Front Garden Garages and Planning Permission

Just had a offer excepted on a house. Its a good house in a nice area - however it only has a single garage with internal dimension of 8ft. This much smaller than 11ft x 18ft garage I have at the existing place. Bit of a downer really. However the new place has a huge front garden. Its 18m long and 14m and I thought I could just erect a garage there and convert the existing 'part of the house garage' into a playroom. But NO. Apparently I will need planning permission for such a thing.

Has anyone ever put up a garage in the front garden and did you get planning permission for it. It will be a bummer if I don't get it. I had the offer accepted this morning so I haven't signed yet!

jps

posted on 17/7/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I've bought a place with vague ideas of extending. Bought before looking into the in's and out's of extending and have subsequently discovered that there is a 'building line' on the plot - in front of which cannot be built. So although I have about 5m of space from front of house to edge of plot - i can't put anything on it.

Worth looking to see if anyone else on the street has done it - planning is not an exact science - so if the 'street scene' is already full of properties with garages at the front it *may* be more likely to go through... (by no means guaranteed though...)

Smoking Frog

posted on 17/7/13 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Although I don't know the answer I think you would be struggling to get planning permission and I would not be tempted to do it without. As a plan "B" would it be possible to knock the rear wall out of the existing garage giving you access to the rear of the property where hopefully you can build a larger garage.
whitestu

posted on 17/7/13 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Do any other houses close by have a garage at the front? If so you may be able to argue that the 'street scene' isn't affected.

If none do and all houses look similar you will have very little chance.

We managed to get our roof raised using this argument after being told it was never allowed as there are many taller properties nearby and all the houses are different.

Stu

MP3C

posted on 17/7/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
You may not need planning permission if you was to keep your existing garage and make it bigger. This should help Planing portal however turning the garage into a play room that is attached to the house will require approval from building regulations as you will be turning the garage into habitable space. If you do require planning permission be prepared for a lengthy procedure going back and forth between you and the planners. You can book a pre-application meeting usually and they will help run you though procedures and tell you if you require planning permission or not.

Matt

Irony

posted on 17/7/13 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I could open up the existing garage and put something up in the back. But that would be annoying as I could turn the existing garage into a room.

I have been down the street on Google Street view and there are two houses with white PVC conservetries on the front which look hideous and one fella who has extended his garage forward. So something may be done.

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/7/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
You could risk just building it anyway, planning has only a limited number of years to receive a complaint before they can do nothing about it, it's called the 4 and 10 year rule after which you just apply for retrospective planning permission. Off course it all depends on how likely someone it is to complain. Most folk don't give a second thought to a garage unless it blocks there view etc
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MP3C

posted on 17/7/13 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
You could risk just building it anyway, planning has only a limited number of years to receive a complaint before they can do nothing about it, it's called the 4 and 10 year rule after which you just apply for retrospective planning permission. Off course it all depends on how likely someone it is to complain. Most folk don't give a second thought to a garage unless it blocks there view etc

Doing this method you can find out which of your neighbors are nosy b******s or not

MikeRJ

posted on 17/7/13 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MP3C
Doing this method you can find out which of your neighbors are nosy b******s or not

Or maybe the ones that would appreciate being informed before sticking up an eyesore?

ashg

posted on 17/7/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
don't build it without pp. there is a rule that states you cannot build forward of the principal elevation without planning permission.

if you really need a house with a big garage keep looking there is always another one you will like more than the last.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

daveb666

posted on 17/7/13 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
View of the street so we can see the house/houses?

VERY unlikely you'll be able to add a garage to a front garden.

Irony

posted on 17/7/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

Description
Description

Its the house whos garden is hidden behind the hedge. The hedge is probably a couple of foot higher than is those images.

jps

posted on 17/7/13 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Buy it. Grow the hedge another 10ft. Build whatever you want. Wait 4 years. Apply for retrospective PP. Job done.

What could possibly go wrong?

designer

posted on 17/7/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
A garage put in the garden would look awful, extend what you have.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 17/7/13 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think you have a cat in he**s chance of getting planning permission to build a garage in front of the building line there.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Irony

posted on 17/7/13 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
A garage put in the garden would look awful, extend what you have.

Disagree, I grew up in inner city Leicester and front gardens in my opinion are pretty pointless. You couldn't have anything nice in your front garden where I grew up as people would either nick it, dump crap in it or generally use it a waste ground. Besides I am not talking about some nasty breeze block garage. I will build something nice.

daveb666

posted on 17/7/13 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Description
Description

Description
Description

Its the house whos garden is hidden behind the hedge. The hedge is probably a couple of foot higher than is those images.

No chance - only way round it would be to buy the LARGEST timber shed you can and put it on a concrete base; that way not a permanent structure.

nick205

posted on 17/7/13 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see you getting PP for anything forward of the existing building line. We're on the lookout for a new house and I've investigated a couple recently for similar reasons. The only thing you can generally add is porches.

You might get away with a car port extending from the front of the garage.

[Edited on 17/7/13 by nick205]

Irony

posted on 17/7/13 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
What about a prefabricated concrete garage. Are they classed as temporary strutters? I thought I would need PP for a concrete base anyway?
MP3C

posted on 17/7/13 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by MP3C

Or maybe the ones that would appreciate being informed before sticking up an eyesore?

Through experience as a building surveyor/developments assistant it's not the people who are not informed that complain. It's people who have nothing better to do even when being informed that tend to stick their noses in and in most cases it's people who aren't affected by the development.

Matt

daveb666

posted on 17/7/13 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
What about a prefabricated concrete garage. Are they classed as temporary strutters? I thought I would need PP for a concrete base anyway?

Will I need planning permission if I add a garage or carport to my property?

For already constructed garages which you buy ready-made, the law defines them as pre-cast concrete sectional garages and states that in the majority of cases you do not need planning permission, as they are deemed temporary structures. However, that need not necessarily apply to your specific building, so to be on the safe side contact your local authority planning office to discuss if you require planning or not.

It is worth noting that you may need planning permission if your proposed building falls into one of the following categories:

The proposed building goes beyond the front elevation of your house (unless you have a very large front garden).
More than half the area of your garden is covered by the proposed building.
The building is more than 3 metres high, or 4m if an apex roof.
The garage is within one metre of your existing house wall.
The building is going to be attached to the wall of a dwelling.
You may not need planning permission, but may fall under building regulations if:

The floor area of the building exceeds thirty square metres, or the total cubic area of the building exceeds seventy square metres.

Guidelines on concreting etc - http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/pavingfrontgarden/

mookaloid

posted on 17/7/13 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Have a look here http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/ you might find this makes things clearer for you

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 17/7/13 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I did build a garage in front of the house 'building line' in the South West, but it took an awful lot of effort to do it. Planning permission is essential (full stop). It can't be done with permitted development rights, but extending the existing garage to the rear probably can be. PD is easy and simple.

That estate looks like hell. Your neighbours will write/complain/impede anything. If there's a cluster (or even one individual) who's retired or off work on 'disability', then you have full time preventers with no life. OK, so I'm cynical, but I have been there, it's life wrecking. Once the council get a few complaints about noise/cars/undead people, then it gets really dire. Please think a bit along those lines before you sign anything.

Irony

posted on 17/7/13 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
if I don't get planning permission for the front garage nothing is stopping me extending the garage rearwards and gaining length and putting workshop area at the back. The rear garden is pretty large so there is plenty of scope for that.

I will try for planning permission on the front and see where it gets me.

mookaloid

posted on 17/7/13 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I will try for planning permission on the front and see where it gets me.

Most council planning departments will talk to you (might charge a small fee) and give you a good idea about whether it is worth even applying before you have to shell out the full application fee.

I have to say that I once had a garage at the front of my house and I couldn't do much in it with the door open because every idiot who came past wanted to either interrupt me to ask what I was doing or to case the joint for removing valuable items later.

Much better to have a private area at the rear if you can manage it.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.