Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting rid of mould spots
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/13 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Getting rid of mould spots

Hi

Bit of a pest this, had a tin top sitting unused for a few months over the winter and there are small blue mould spots on the front seats annoying as the interiors is otherwise really nice and quite light coloured fabric

Is there a product that removes this staining?

Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 18/7/13 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Hi

Bit of a pest this, had a tin top sitting unused for a few months over the winter and there are small blue mould spots on the front seats annoying as the interiors is otherwise really nice and quite light coloured fabric

Is there a product that removes this staining?

Thanks

We at a similar situation with a car bought at auction that had been sitting in a main dealers back yard for a year.
What you have to do is change the PH slightly so it it either too acid or too alkaline for the mould to survive.

First thing to do is vacuum the area very thoroughly this will remove most of the visible mould.
You should then try a gentle dab with a dilute solution of either Baking Soda (nb not washing soda) or "gentle bleach" stain remover washing booster (Poundland) on an area that is out of site mould, ---- if no signs of damage to the colour after a few hours us treat the visible area.

You could also use white Vinegar but it smells a bit.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

loggyboy

posted on 18/7/13 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
As said, brush and hoover the worst off, then maybe some 1001 cleaner, ive always used that on car interiors.

[Edited on 18-7-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

westf27

posted on 18/7/13 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Dettox spray.Used on fabric and the mould disappeared completely.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/13 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

The dettox thing might be my first go as I'm reluctant to try bleach or acid just now

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 18/7/13 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Thanks guys

The dettox thing might be my first go as I'm reluctant to try bleach or acid just now

Nobody really mentioned acid as such. Bicarbonate of Soda (the main ingredient of baking powder) should be in everyones cleaning cupboard. Very cheap and very versatile. Small amount dabbed on should work a treat. might even work dry. As with all stuff, just try a hidden area first as a test.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/13 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
well I have found some baking soda in the cupboard so will give that a go just now

ta

russbost

posted on 18/7/13 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same problem & my missus googled it & came up with use vinegar - it worked quite well, but boy does it make the car stink for a week or 2!!!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
DarrenW

posted on 18/7/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Its worth googling Bicarb and its potential uses. Its kind of one of those age old type products that people have forgotten about in the haze of the many marketed and much more expensive products that do the same thing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.